Author Topic: Chatham - births/baptism Michael (b abt1853), Margaret (b abt1857) Sullivan  (Read 1251 times)

Offline genebrarian

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chatham - births/baptism Michael (b abt1853), Margaret (b abt1857) Sullivan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 January 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
1871 for Kent  has Julia Sullivan aged 40 widowed and daughters Johanna 17 and Ellen 15 - all born Ireland  RG10 Piece 904 Folio 100 Page 5

Can't find Margaret

That's them. Yes I suspect Margaret is in service. I suspect Michael has signed up with the services by that stage. I find Margaret marrying George William Boother in 1874 in Chatham.

Ellen had learning difficulties. I had an Aunt who grew up knowing Margaret.
Family History Librarian – so my professional research interests are everyone everywhere!

Personal interests: Harvey (Newfoundland and Kent, UK and Ireland); Pottle (Newfoundland); Boother (Kent and Ireland); Sullivan (Kent and Cork, Ireland); McKenzie (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Little (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Swanson (Caithness, Scotland)

Offline genebrarian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 January 18 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Family info and census documents suggest she was born in Chatham, Kent in 1857,

Freebmd has a March 1859 birth but RD is Dartford whereas Medway was the RD for Chatham

Actually on the GRO, the March 1859 the mother's maiden name was Brickley.

I had found a Daniel and Julia (Buckley) getting married and later with children Ellen and Johanna being baptised, in Cork, Ireland.

Might take a punt and order it . . . .

Still looking for baptisms, so will trawl through Medway as someone else suggests.

Thanks.
Family History Librarian – so my professional research interests are everyone everywhere!

Personal interests: Harvey (Newfoundland and Kent, UK and Ireland); Pottle (Newfoundland); Boother (Kent and Ireland); Sullivan (Kent and Cork, Ireland); McKenzie (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Little (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Swanson (Caithness, Scotland)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 January 18 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Before I go into detail of something I have just found - can you confirm that Margaret's 1874 marriage cert confirms her father was Daniel?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline genebrarian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 January 18 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Before I go into detail of something I have just found - can you confirm that Margaret's 1874 marriage cert confirms her father was Daniel?

Yes, I can confirm mcert states father is Daniel. As does census, and family stories.

Thanks

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 January 18 09:52 GMT (UK) »
If the family were staunch Catholic, then sadly my suggestion of trawling through the PRs on Cityark will be no use, they only have the C of E Registers.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 January 18 16:59 GMT (UK) »
As father was definitely Daniel, the other census entries I found are a different family. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)