Author Topic: Inconsistent literacy  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Inconsistent literacy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
In earlier marriage records for my family the same witness names cropped up frequently.  Turns out these people were the parish clerks.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Our son in law and his best man had to print their names next to their "signatures" after the latter were deemed inadequate.  That was in 2008.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 January 18 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Our son in law and his best man had to print their names next to their "signatures" after the latter were deemed inadequate.  That was in 2008.

Yes the guidance states
"4.26 If one or more of the signatures (including the officiating officer) are illegible, please ensure that you print the names that they relate to, in pencil, in the margin of the entry. This will help when you come to prepare the quarterly return and produce a certificate from the entry."

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 January 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I have personal experience of people signing in 'unorthodox' ways in the last couple of decades, e.g. a young, obviously literate and sensible man signing just his first name (no surname); a middle-aged woman signing "Mrs Smith".  These, and indecipherable squiggles, are all OK as long as they are deemed to be the person's usual signature.

Melbell

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 January 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I knew someone whose usual signature was 'Mike'.  He was often told that wasn't acceptable without his surname (which he heartily disliked and rarely mentioned), so he would produce his driving licence and point out that the UK government found 'Mike' perfectly acceptable as a signature.

Last I heard, he was considering changing his name by deed poll to 'Mike Usualsignature' just to stop the hassle.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 January 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I knew someone whose usual signature was 'Mike'.  He was often told that wasn't acceptable without his surname (which he heartily disliked and rarely mentioned), so he would produce his driving licence and point out that the UK government found 'Mike' perfectly acceptable as a signature.

Last I heard, he was considering changing his name by deed poll to 'Mike Usualsignature' just to stop the hassle.

Carol

If he was in the UK all he needed to do was call himself Mike. There is no requirement to have a surname in the UK and the only way to change ones's name is to use the new name.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 January 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Quite right Guy, you and I and Mike are all aware of that.  However some of the people we all have to deal with in everyday life are less enlightened and will argue with anything except an official document ::) 

Yes, this was in the UK.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline mijath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
So many of you have set my mind at rest. It was niggling me because I've never seen an example of it anywhere else in my family history, people either sign with marks all their lives or signatures all their lives.

I've enjoyed the stories and suggested reasons. I suppose eyesight could also have been a reason for people who could sign changing to marks.
Thorpe, Feak & Townsend (Norfolk) / Ormandy & Slater (Dalton-in-Furness) / Corner (Liverpool) / Wray (Lincolnshire) / Fidler, Bridge & Turner (Derbyshire)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 January 18 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I seem to remember a chap in a high power job (Bank of England iirc) who commonly used an X as his signature on official documents, because he had so many of them to deal with.

Perfectly legal, and he would put right anybody who claimed otherwise.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.