Author Topic: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT  (Read 6285 times)

Offline TheTreeDetective

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 30 June 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hello.
I am a direct descendant of Jessie Hamilton Buchanan Spiers, who I believe you have listed as Janet Spiers in the 1861 Census (refer below). I have a copy of her birth certificate. She was born to Robert Spiers and Mary Stevenson on 26th October 1855 at Chapelforte in Cambuslang. She is my great grandmother.  My Aunt was named Jessie Speirs in remembrance of her grandmother. (Unfortunately they spelt the Speirs incorrectly!). I have a photo of Jessie and her husband, James Miller Stevenson, if you are interested.   

1861: Silverbanks, Cambuslang   
Robert Spiers   34 Coal Miner B Rutherglen
Mary Spiers   35 wife B Cambuslang
*Christina Spiers   10 Daughter B Cambuslang (B 20 Nov 1851)
Janet Spiers   6 Daughter B Cambuslang
Robert Spiers   4 Son b Cambuslang
John Spiers   1 Son B Cambuslang

Fay

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 30 June 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
No correct way of spelling Spiers/Speirs,  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 01 July 18 05:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Fay,Lovely to meet you albeit over the net.  I am deep in dna results  with my daughter whose father the McArthur and Stevensons are.  You have just written in time for me to add names  to check against dna matches for her.  she is 42.  Have any of your  Stevenson  or Spiers had their dna tested.  Have you also been following Anne-P and seen where she has found a illegitimate daughter Christina Campbell, daughter of Isabella Stevenson.  Christina born 1850, You can follow Anne and my conversations I would think. Back in February.  Haven't  got back to Anne_P but hopefully she can see this reply.  I contacted an in law of Christina Black nee Campbell through Genes Reunited.  He lives  mainland Australia and we have exchanged certificates of Christina's family of Black. We both purchased from Scotland's People.  Now to have you contact me re Mary Stevenson's family of Spier's that is great and the photos would be lovely.    I still haven't a photo of John and Isabella but have  bits and peice's from the newspaper.  I have death certificates of both John and Isabella, their marriage certificate, where they lived in Tasmania and grave stone at Patersonia, in Tasmania where hey loved and died. I am in the process of putting up more of John Stevenson's family so now I can add Marys line, but i havent got her children's births dates as yet. Probably could find them on Scotland's people. Did my daughters dna on ancestry, so have joined that as well in order to see results. Thanks for being in touch Fay, I am Edie.

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 05:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Fay,Lovely to meet you albeit over the net.  I am deep in dna results  with my daughter whose father the McArthur and Stevensons are.  You have just written in time for me to add names  to check against dna matches for her.  she is 42.  Have any of your  Stevenson  or Spiers had their dna tested.  Have you also been following Anne-P and seen where she has found a illegitimate daughter Christina Campbell, daughter of Isabella Stevenson.  Christina born 1850, You can follow Anne and my conversations I would think. Back in February.  Haven't  got back to Anne_P but hopefully she can see this reply.  I contacted an in law of Christina Black nee Campbell through Genes Reunited.  He lives  mainland Australia and we have exchanged certificates of Christina's family of Black. We both purchased from Scotland's People.  Now to have you contact me re Mary Stevenson's family of Spier's that is great and the photos would be lovely.    I still haven't a photo of John and Isabella but have  bits and peice's from the newspaper.  I have death certificates of both John and Isabella, their marriage certificate, where they lived in Tasmania and grave stone at Patersonia, in Tasmania where hey loved and died. I am in the process of putting up more of John Stevenson's family so now I can add Marys line, but i havent got her children's births dates as yet. Probably could find them on Scotland's people. Did my daughters dna on ancestry, so have joined that as well in order to see results. Thanks for being in touch Fay, I am Edie.
Hello.
I am a direct descendant of Jessie Hamilton Buchanan Spiers, who I believe you have listed as Janet Spiers in the 1861 Census (refer below). I have a copy of her birth certificate. She was born to Robert Spiers and Mary Stevenson on 26th October 1855 at Chapelforte in Cambuslang. She is my great grandmother.  My Aunt was named Jessie Speirs in remembrance of her grandmother. (Unfortunately they spelt the Speirs incorrectly!). I have a photo of Jessie and her husband, James Miller Stevenson, if you are interested.   

1861: Silverbanks, Cambuslang   
Robert Spiers   34 Coal Miner B Rutherglen
Mary Spiers   35 wife B Cambuslang
*Christina Spiers   10 Daughter B Cambuslang (B 20 Nov 1851)
Janet Spiers   6 Daughter B Cambuslang
Robert Spiers   4 Son b Cambuslang
John Spiers   1 Son B Cambuslang

Fay
Hi Fay, Have you seen anything about Marys sister Isabella and her husband John McArthur at all.  Did they write home from Australia to Scotland.  having trouble finding his mother Margaret Smith and reputed father Duncan McArthur.  Duncan was deceased by Isabella Stevenson and John marriage 2 December 1856. John has no record to say where in Scotland he was born or the actual date ofhis birth and birthplace in 1828. Would any of your Stevenson family know that.

Offline TheTreeDetective

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Orontes (Edie),
Apologies for the delay in responding.  Unfortunately I do not know anything about Mary's sister, Isabella and her husband, John McArthur, nor do I know anyone who would be able to help you. I, myself, live in Victoria in Australia, but I doubt that would be much help!
Unfortunately I can't attach the pictures of Jessie Hamilton Buchanan Stevenson (born Speirs) and her husband James Miller Stevenson as the file size is too large and I don't know how to reduce it. Any ideas?

Offline TheTreeDetective

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Orontes (Edie),

I've just found a photo of Jessie and James Miller Stevenson which meets the required file size. Refer attached!

Offline TheTreeDetective

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
Here's another picture of Jessie H.B. Stevenson (ne Speirs) taken circa 1925-6.  She was with my Dad and my Aunt.  James had died by then (he died in 1922).

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm interested hi the banks Cambuslang some of my relative was Stevenson I'd like to visit but just got on it's not in my immediate future but it's lovely to see those and the one that says Catriona is my aunt's and she's in her 90s thank you I'm audio dictating this
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
Orontes,
Spotted your update.
So glad you were able confirm the info and continue with your research.

( haven't been on RC very much lately. Been working on my DNA results)

Good Luck