Author Topic: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT  (Read 6251 times)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 03 February 18 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Orontes,
After the death of Christina Black Ms Campbell, her widower, Robert Black seems to have remarried.

Marriage of Robert Black to Annie Weir 1882 Baldernock

At 1891, Robert, his wife and 2 children are in Gorbals, Lanarkshire.
21yr old Isabella is with them but his daughter from his 2nd marriage was born in South Africa.
This looks correct:

Janet McLuckie Black b 25 Dec 1883 Beaconsfield, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa
Parents, Robert and Annie

1891:   
Robert Black   42
Annie Black   41
*Isabella Black   21*  b Torrance Stirlingshire
Janet Black   7 b Colony  Cape
William Black   2 B Baldernock

Isabella Stevenson Black married Charles Miller in Dunoon in 1894

1901: 47 Gilbert Street, Glasgow
Charles Miller   37 b Whitburn Flour Miller
Isab Miller   31 b Torrance of Campsie
Christine Miller   3 b Glasgow
Robert Miller   2 B Glasgow

I remember now....
It wasn't the 1901 census that I couldn't find.
It's Isabella's death that I cannot locate

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 03 February 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Bridgid,
Robertson may be a name from Christina Fleming's family but Janet Robertson was Andrew's mother.

The child born in 1861 was named exactly for his mother.
Janet Robertson Kyle

The child you refer to as Jeanie Kyle:
Birth name was: Jane Kyle b 14 Jun 1863

Children born to Andrew from both marriages are on family search

Who is the cousin that Andrew is confused with?
Hi Anne and Brigid, On the same page of the marriage of Christina Campbell and Robert Black,  29th October 1869, there is a marriage for  a Joseph b Robertson Bachelor his father was Andrew Robertson, and his wife was Elizabeth Robertson M.S Buchanan, deceased.  Joseph married a Mary Gray, daughter of James Gray, took place Campsie, Stirling though.  There may bea connection as our Christina came from Cambuslang but was married in Campsie, Stirling

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 February 18 22:45 GMT (UK) »
I didnt have andrews mothers name

Thanks for that information

Christina s mother was elizabeth ROBERTSON
And i seem to remember a mary BROWN maybe a great grandmother

I find ancestry harder to search on .

scotlandspeople has changed its format since i used it last year .

its good to see the documents in original form .

So much information
I will make note of occupations of Stevensons

Out of interest what occupations did your families have ?
Stevensons &
Kyles

My Macdermids were cloth lappers and bleachfield workers for 3 generations

My grandad s generation escaped those proffessions eventually
Becoming     a shoemaker  .clerk in a garden nursery .a funeral worker .grocers clerk .

the girls were seamstresses .bleach workers a waitress and an umbrella  maker .
Grandad ran away to sea joined navy aged 17 .
Brigid, Our Stevesnons were Cotton Weavers, Coal Miners like yours.

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 February 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Orontes,
I guss that the facts speak for themselves.
Christina Campbell was the daugter of Isabella Stevenson and Grand daughter of Christina Stevenson Ms Ormiston.

Christina Campbell married and had 2 daughters.
One named for her mother: Isabella Stevenson and the other named for her grandmother: Christina Ormiston.

When Christina Black MS Campbell died, her brother in law knew that Christina's mother had the maiden name of Isabella Stevenson and that she was now Mrs McArthur.
He simply thought the Mcarthur husband was called  William rather than John

The other way to look at this is:
John Stevenson and Christina Ormiston had just one daughter named Isabella who married John McArthur.
You know that Christina Campbell was Isabella's own child who was born before this marriage
You also know that Christina Campbell was the gran daughter of Christina Stevenson Ms Ormiston
From her marriage and death, Christina Campbell is positively identified as Isabella's daughter

John Stevenson and Christina Ormiston did not have another daughter named Isabella who was also married to William McArthur

The child named Christina Ormiston Black died the same year that she was born.
At 1881, both of the other children, Isabella and John Black were living with their paternal grandparents.

In know that their father, Robert Black remarried and the child named Isabella Black also married later.
I am not sure where John went.
However, I will look again, and find the information on Isabella Black, her marriage and children.
I didn't retain the info that I found but, I do recall that I could not find her or her family at 1901.
Hi Anne,
Yes I came home from the library and spent several hours thrashing this about and seeing what I could find on the net, there was no way other than to accept what you did find on Christina Campbell.  I have seen her on the 1851 census but would never have worried about following that line of research in finding her to be the illegitimate child of Isabella Stevenson.  So thank you very much for that.  Could be the missing Isabella death may be found over here, I will see if I can find a mention of her with her husband Charles Miller in Tasmania. You would think that one of the grandchildren of Isabella would be curious enough to go find their biological grandmother wouldnt you?

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 03 February 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »
I've just spent the day with the matriarch of our Stevenson descendants

She did a DNA test which I will post on Monday

I also recorded her talking about her grandmother ..the formidable Mary Hart McKay and her 4 daughters Peggy Polly ISA and jeanie

I have taken copies of old photos including maps and watercolour s of  the cottages from 18O0
 at Cambuslang

I zoomed in on faces and added them to my trees on Ancestry

I recorded my aunt  telling the story of  her grandfather s hand with fingers missing from a mining accident and  how he never worked again and had to live of what his wife handed him from the file money
I think Oral histories are great .Orontes...are you interested in more about Cambuslang ..or do you just want to solve your mystery ...?

We had a lot of loom weavers too

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 03 February 18 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I can't post pic of the cottages ..size not compatible for attachments
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stevenson families, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 04 February 18 02:55 GMT (UK) »
I've just spent the day with the matriarch of our Stevenson descendants

She did a DNA test which I will post on Monday

I also recorded her talking about her grandmother ..the formidable Mary Hart McKay and her 4 daughters Peggy Polly ISA and jeanie

I have taken copies of old photos including maps and watercolour s of  the cottages from 18O0
 at Cambuslang

I zoomed in on faces and added them to my trees on Ancestry

I recorded my aunt  telling the story of  her grandfather s hand with fingers missing from a mining accident and  how he never worked again and had to live of what his wife handed him from the file money
I think Oral histories are great .Orontes...are you interested in more about Cambuslang ..or do you just want to solve your mystery ...?

We had a lot of loom weavers too
hi Brigid,
I have one photo of modern Day Cambuslang we took in 1989, would have loved one of the older ones. Did find some on the net, but was reluctant to use them because of copyright.  Are the photos you have belonging to your Stevenson Matriach.  Pity they werent printable. Love to hear more of Cambuslang.  John Stevenson was a invalided soldier. I havent checked on his Military record as yet.  His ioccupation Cotton Weaver.  I would imagine, you would really have to watch your hands with the old machines back then.I have changed the heading to Stevensons families of Cambuslang. When in Scotland in 1998, we stayed at a Youth Hostel, it was part of the New Lanark Cotton Factory.  All the WEavers Cottages were there and one of the Buildings was where the Youth  Hostel was.  A new Hotel had been builton the site as well in keeping with the other buildings.  they looked new.  Had all been cleaned up.  There is a little Museum there as well. It tells stories of some of the Weavers.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 04 February 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Orontes,
You may wish to have a look at this website:http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Cambuslang/History/Cambuslang%20Industries%20C%20Findlay.pdf

Now go to page 29 where you will find a map of Cambuslang dating from 1859.
At 1807, your ancestors, George Stevenson and Mary Coochrane lived in Sauchiebog which is located at the top right of the photograph.
They had 5 children at 1807 but sadly they are not named.
Therefore John had at least 4 siblings and if he was born after this census,then that number rises to 5.
We also know that at least one of them was called Andrew Stevenson b 18 May 1802
Another, born after the census was William Stevenson b 28 May 1812

The obvious railway line and station didn't exist at this time as it was opened in 1849.

By 1841, their son John, wife Christina Ormiston and family were living in Cullochburn which you can also locate on the opposite side of the current railway line.
This is where John's father died in 1829 ( see Below)
1851 they were at Bushyhill which is quite clear on the map.

This area of Cambuslang is also where my own ancestors originate.
It sits at the neighbouring Rutherglen end of the Parish

I created this for you:
Cambuslang Mortcloth
All Stevenson Entries
Blue are John's parents and red are his children.

Stevenson ——  —       5 Feb 1830. Female child to Andrew Stevenson. No cloth. Still ( Stillbirth)
Stevenson ———        25 Sep 1854. Widow of Allan Stevenson. Poor ( this is Margaret Cochran)
Stevenson. Andrew.    28 Jun 1798. A child, Chapelton
Stevenson, Andrew.      7 Apr 1836. Son of John Stevenson
Stevenson, Ann.          12 Oct 1835. Child of Andrew Stevenson
Stevenson, Catherine.  6 Mar 1831. Wife of Andrew Stevenson and a still born child.
Stevenson, Christina.   5 Aug 1840. Dau of John Stevenson
Stevenson, Elizabeth.  18 Jan 1814. Daughter of George Stevenson* Very possibly John's sister
Stevenson. George.     29 Jan 1829. Cullochburn
Stevenson, George      30 Mar 1849. Son of John Stevenson, Weaver
Stevenson, Janet.        14 May 1841. Insane (Pauper)
Stevenson, Janet.          8 Mar 1847.  Daughter of John Stevenson, weaver
Stevenson, Janet,          7 Nov 1849. Daughter of John Stevenson. Poor
Stevenson, Margaret,    26 Jun 1815. Spouse of John Stevenson, Monkland
Stevenson, Margt.          29 Jan 1842. Wife of Jas Fyfe
Stevenson, Mary.             9 Jul 1840. Daughter of John Stevenson
Stevenson, Mary            26 Jan 1848. Wife of James Rankin, Weaver, Glasgow
Stevenson, Mary             25 Jul 1847. Relict of Geo Stevenson. Weaver

Note that there are 2 girls named Janet who died in 1847 and 1849.
We know that they were not the children of John Stevenson and Christina Ormiston
They seem to be children born to a John Stevenson and Margaret Lochhead.

There was another couple named John Stevenson and Mary Brown
Based on the names of the children, this John was the son of Allan Stevenson and Margaret Cochran.
I am fairly certain the George and Allan Stevenson were brothers and that their parents were possibly called John Stevenson and Margaret Gibb who married in 1766 ( banns read 12 Apr 1766)

Allan Stevenson and Margaret Cochran:Marriage Banns read 12 Mar 1790
 3 children on 1807 census  at East Cotes
George Stevenson and Mary Cochran: Marriage Banns Read  4 Nov 1791
 5 children on 1807 census at Sauchiebog

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 04 February 18 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Orontes,
You may wish to have a look at this website:http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Cambuslang/History/Cambuslang%20Industries%20C%20Findlay.pdf

Now go to page 29 where you will find a map of Cambuslang dating from 1859.
At 1807, your ancestors, George Stevenson and Mary Coochrane lived in Sauchiebog which is located at the top right of the photograph.
They had 5 children at 1807 but sadly they are not named.
Therefore John had at least 4 siblings and if he was born after this census,then that number rises to 5.
We also know that at least one of them was called Andrew Stevenson b 18 May 1802
Another, born after the census was William Stevenson b 28 May 1812

The obvious railway line and station didn't exist at this time as it was opened in 1849.

By 1841, their son John, wife Christina Ormiston and family were living in Cullochburn which you can also locate on the opposite side of the current railway line.
This is where John's father died in 1829 ( see Below)
1851 they were at Bushyhill which is quite clear on the map.

This area of Cambuslang is also where my own ancestors originate.
It sits at the neighbouring Rutherglen end of the Parish

I created this for you:
Cambuslang Mortcloth
All Stevenson Entries
Blue are John's parents and red are his children.

Stevenson ——  —       5 Feb 1830. Female child to Andrew Stevenson. No cloth. Still ( Stillbirth)
Stevenson ———        25 Sep 1854. Widow of Allan Stevenson. Poor ( this is Margaret Cochran)
Stevenson. Andrew.    28 Jun 1798. A child, Chapelton
Stevenson, Andrew.      7 Apr 1836. Son of John Stevenson
Stevenson, Ann.          12 Oct 1835. Child of Andrew Stevenson
Stevenson, Catherine.  6 Mar 1831. Wife of Andrew Stevenson and a still born child.
Stevenson, Christina.   5 Aug 1840. Dau of John Stevenson
Stevenson, Elizabeth.  18 Jan 1814. Daughter of George Stevenson* Very possibly John's sister
Stevenson. George.     29 Jan 1829. Cullochburn
Stevenson, George      30 Mar 1849. Son of John Stevenson, Weaver
Stevenson, Janet.        14 May 1841. Insane (Pauper)
Stevenson, Janet.          8 Mar 1847.  Daughter of John Stevenson, weaver
Stevenson, Janet,          7 Nov 1849. Daughter of John Stevenson. Poor
Stevenson, Margaret,    26 Jun 1815. Spouse of John Stevenson, Monkland
Stevenson, Margt.          29 Jan 1842. Wife of Jas Fyfe
Stevenson, Mary.             9 Jul 1840. Daughter of John Stevenson
Stevenson, Mary            26 Jan 1848. Wife of James Rankin, Weaver, Glasgow
Stevenson, Mary             25 Jul 1847. Relict of Geo Stevenson. Weaver

Note that there are 2 girls named Janet who died in 1847 and 1849.
We know that they were not the children of John Stevenson and Christina Ormiston
They seem to be children born to a John Stevenson and Margaret Lochhead.

There was another couple named John Stevenson and Mary Brown
Based on the names of the children, this John was the son of Allan Stevenson and Margaret Cochran.
I am fairly certain the George and Allan Stevenson were brothers and that their parents were possibly called John Stevenson and Margaret Gibb who married in 1766 ( banns read 12 Apr 1766)

Allan Stevenson and Margaret Cochran:Marriage Banns read 12 Mar 1790
 3 children on 1807 census  at East Cotes
George Stevenson and Mary Cochran: Marriage Banns Read  4 Nov 1791
 5 children on 1807 census at Sauchiebog
Thankyou very much Anne.  I will look at that website shortly.   Thank you for the Mort cloth records I appreciate that.  I think the Mary in Blue relict to  George would have to be Mary Cochrane.  Will obtain a copy of the  banns of marriage from Scotlands People of George and mary Stevenson on Saturday if I can book a place on computer.
I am surprised the amount of detail on the 1897 Census of Cambuslang.  I never thought there would be that much.  There seems to be so much more detail on the Scottish earlier censuses.

I have informed the family of your findings re Christina Campbell.  Thanks again.