Author Topic: WATTS - French translation of pistol duel  (Read 8220 times)

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WATTS - French translation of pistol duel
« Reply #36 on: Monday 04 March 19 13:15 GMT (UK) »

Further, when he died in 1836 newspapers of the day indicated he was born on Guernsey. When one of his granddaughters died in 1887, her obituary indicated she was descended from  "Dr.de BELIN a French refugee of noble blood who escaped to England during the First French Revolution, and came to London and taught French".

My biggest probelm with all of this is, on his 2nd marriage record in 1830, it indicates he is "native of Dublin, and living in Valognes". Dublin was certainly a shock, but is it correct or a written mistake? The closest I can find to that birth is Carolus BELIN bpt.1764 St.Andrews, Dublin, to parents Georgii and Elizabeth BELIN married 1763. But that birth is too young and there is no middle name. My Charles Henry BELIN was "30 years and upwards" when married in 1789 (b.1759 or before), and when he died in 1836 newspapers said he was 87 years old (b.1749).
I would rather think that was is written in the registers is more reliable than what is written in a newspaper.

I would rather think that what is written in a register is more reliable than what is written in a newspaper.
From which source did you get the 2d marriage in Jersey? ( living in Valognes is true , we know it from his 1st wife's death certificate. Why not born in Dublin?)