Author Topic: WATTS - French translation of pistol duel  (Read 8221 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
WATTS - French translation of pistol duel
« on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if any one is able to translate this account of a pistol duel from 1796 involving my ancestor Stephen WATTS. It happened on Jersey Island, but is recorded in French.

I have read English newspaper accounts of the duel, but don't know what this document is about. The person who advised me of it says there are 2 parts to it, he thought the first was the description, and the second part was a Court outcome?

Thanks

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Online joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FRENCH TRANSLATION OF PISTOL DUEL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
1st image : the Royal Attorney General who's been informed that Jean DOLBEL, (escuier= écuyer =horseman, esquire) participated in the encounter that took place yesterday evening , in which Stephen Watts , horseman (esquire) , was dangerously hurt. He (the attorney ) commands that Jean Dolbel should be presented in court and forbids anyone (officers...) , and any vessel, boat... helping him to escape the Isle .

Online joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
2d image :
31 of october 1796George Sanderson , gent, lieutenant (enseigne= enseigne de vaisseau) and surgeon in the Regiment Fencible and Charles Staples, esquire, captain in the said regiment were brought in court by Aaron Deveulle supreme commander (connétable)of the parish of St Clement under the accusation of having participated in the wounds that Stephen Watts received in a duel and put his life in danger.
After having heard the report of Jean Allez , one of the surgeons who cannot say if Stephen Watts is out of danger , the court have sent Anderson and Charles Staples in prison.

Online joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
3d image George Sanderson and Charles Staples having been put in prison..... th wounds that Stephen Watts received on the 30 th .
Jean Allez, surgeon says that Stephen Watts is in a state that allows to think he could get better.
Anderson and Staples went out of jail but had to present before court when asked to.

Online joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
4 th image :
8 november 1796
penalty :250 sterling pound each.
I can't say much more, would be easier if I could read page or number  430

Novelistic ancestors !

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »

Thanks very much for the translations - much appreciated.

Regarding Page 430, are you saying you can't translate it, or can't read it i.e. poor photo quality/bad handwriting?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Online joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 January 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
4 th image is coming after the 3d, no pages between them (I read them again and understand that : the word "institué" bottom right the 3d image means you will find it  first word on the next page (which we can see on 4th image), up left corner.

My difficulty is to understand perfectly the legal language of that time; though I am French, I am no lawyer, that's why I hesitate between 2 meanings
 1. they had to pay a fine , 250 sterling pounds each,for having participated in the duel
or
 2.they had to pay 250 sterling pounds to get out of jail before a trial took place

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WATTS - French translation of pistol duel
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 January 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
That's okay Roger - I appreciate your effort, and at least I have some understanding of this document now, whereas I didn't before  ;)

Les

Offline christophe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WATTS - French translation of pistol duel
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 February 19 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
If your are looking for help regarding old french documents.
I can do it.

Christophe.