Author Topic: Thomas Fenner (b abt. 1540 – dDec 18 1601) (this is my dead end so far)  (Read 1147 times)

Offline RockyMtnGal

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Fenner (b abt. 1540 – dDec 18 1601) (this is my dead end so far)
« on: Saturday 27 January 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello All -
This is my first post on this forum.  I have been able to accurately trace my history back to this dead end.  I have 15 generations back, only 2 of which are from the UK.  The rest are all US.  I have run into a dead end with Thomas "The Elder" Fenner.  Born 1540 (about) in Horne, Surrey, England died on Dec. 18, 1601. He was married to Elizabeth (maiden name unknown). 

He was the father of Lucy (Fenner) Edsawe, Susan (Fenner) Falkner, Arthur Fenner, Thomas Fenner Jr, Sarah (Fenner) Heathfield and Samuel Fenner.

I am a desdentant of Arthur Fenner, then Captain Arthur Fenner and following Capt. Arthur Fenner all records are US.

Anything anyone can provide from Thomas Fenner (1601 Horne, Surrey, England) would be appreciated!  I have found three Fenners who were ship captains in the battle of Gravelines with the Spanish Armada under Sir Francis Drake.  I have NO idea if there is any direct connection.  I have run into a dead end.  I owe most of my information to Chris Fenner! Thank you Chris.

Any help would be very appreciated!
Kind regards,
Kyle Fenner

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Fenner (b abt. 1540 – dDec 18 1601) (this is my dead end so far)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 18:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure somebody will come along shortly to help but it's possible that you've run out of existing parish church documentation in the most part due to inclement weather where registers have succumbed to the damp and also  - from this page you can see that the year 1538 is the earliest surviving record:-   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parish_register

If your family was part of the landed gentry then you have a better chance of finding records.  Have a look on the National Archive website "Discovery" to see if you can spot anything significant in the era you are interested in (look on lefthand side for the centuries):-

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Fenner
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I now see the Fenner family are mentioned in the 1068 Domesday Book.

Presumably you've taken a note of this 15th century member of the Fenner family of Horley in Surrey.  The further back you go you need to remember that the spelling of names vary, as shown below.  Also, as William the Conqueror was from Normandy, France, you can also expect French spellings such as Veneur, translated into English as Venner/Fenner

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/surrey/vol3/pp200-208

"On the south wall of the chancel is now fixed a small brass figure of a man, the inscription being lost. He is in the civilian costume of the end of the 15th century, and has a long furred dress, girdled at the waist. The inscription wrongly attached to the other brass has been also mistakenly associated with this. It runs:— 'Of yo' charite pray for the soule of JohŘ ffenner late wyf of Jořn ffenner gent' which Johan deceased the ij day of Juley in the yere of our Lord m'v'xvj on whose soule Jřu have mercy. amen.'
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 January 18 03:38 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree for him on FamilySearch.  MTHX-1RW ​
Thomas Fenner. b 1538, Horley, Surrey.  Death 18 December 1601, Horley, Surrey.
His father is Arthur Fenner 1521-1565.
Mother is Sarah Browne 1521-1555.
His wife is Mary Bellingham.    Marriage: 1568 Horley, Surrey.
All their children are the same as you mentioned.​