Author Topic: 1901 census help/any alternate resources out there I can use  (Read 9134 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census help/any alternate resources out there I can use
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 01 February 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth's death

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1921/05091/4405009.pdf

I do have a supplementary question if you can help (I 'always' have supplementary questions as I am incurably nosey)

Here in England, a person can not/could not be buried (in a churchyard or a civil cemetary) without a death cert being produced.So I know that if a death was registered in a particular quarter of a year, then I have a 3 month time frame for the burial. If I have a specific death date, back then it was rareley more than a few days till burial.

I have noticed (and Elizabeth's death registration is a case in point) that civil registration in Ireland often may not occur till a good while after the death,
On that record Elizabeth died on 26th June, but the registration did not take place till 16th July. I really don't imagine that the funeral/burial would have been delayed for 3 weeks. Did the death cert production not apply to burials in Ireland then (or even now)?

Boo

A Death Cert is a Death Cert. Used for Burials!!

Bringing a Death Cert to a Registry Office to have is registered is a different thing.

A death within the State can be registered with any Registrar, irrespective of where it occurs. Deaths must be registered as soon as possible after the death and no later than three months from the date of death.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 01 February 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »

A Death Cert is a Death Cert. Used for Burials!!

Bringing a Death Cert to a Registry Office to have is registered is a different thing.

A death within the State can be registered with any Registrar, irrespective of where it occurs. Deaths must be registered as soon as possible after the death and no later than three months from the date of death.

Thanks, it is a different system (and teminology) in the UK.

A 'medical certificate of the cause of death' has to be produced and that must be taken to the registrar so the death can be registered and what we would term a "Death Certificate" would be issued. A burial/cremation can not take place until after registration and the correct paperwork has been issued.
You have 5 days in which to register a death with a civil registrar (in usual circumstances, any death reported to the coroner is exempt from the normal time constraints), though it can be registered in any registry office, if that office is outside the area in which the person died then that can delay the paperwork need for burial.

Boo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 01 February 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Technically it is a Death Notification Form....signed by Doctor, that suffices for Burials!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 01 February 18 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Only one Pat listed, and he was born in 1854, the date indicated from his age on his gravestone.

I wonder if this is your Pat.....

The Patrick I am looking at was baptised at Killaveney on 14th September 1850, parents were Michael Walsh and his wife Ann (nee Doyle). Griffiths has a Michael Walsh with a house and a forge at Drummin, in the parish of Preban.

The family on that tree may well be related (I don't yet know) but the link would be further back than this generation I am looking at.

Boo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 01 February 18 19:14 GMT (UK) »

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 01 February 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
thanks hallmark, I'd poked round the web and ascertained that Ballybeg and Drummin were not too far away (about a mile as the crow flies).

I've progressed quite well, and now have the barebones structure for Patrick's family.  The 'female' birth registration in 1884 remains a mystery.
The death date is missing for Kate (born1890) and I still have that 'possible, but definitely in query' death register entry for a child of Patrick and Ellen, name of Katie. The death was registered in 1903 and the age at death on the register is 1 yr and 6 months. The one born in 1890 would have been about 12 years and eight months in 1903 and I do wonder if her Dad said she was 12 and a half and the registrar missed the 2 from the end of the 12 when he wrote it down. Odder things have happened :-)

The household return for 1901 would help to clear up the mystery  - if she is on there then that can't be her death, but I have had no reply to  my queries either from the National Archives of Ireland or Wicklow Heritage. Having been through the National Archives site, it seems that they don't supply copies of documents unless the customer turns up in person, so that is starting to look like a dead end.

I am pleased with the progress and very grateful for all the help I have received in here.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 01 February 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »

I was in Kildare Heritage today getting a 1901 house and building return that is missing from the online census and I asked did they think Wicklow Heritage would have your missing return and they believed they should have it.
They were of the opinion all the locally held census reels are complete but there is a huge amount missing from the online census.

Thanks for enquiring Sinann, I did email Wicklow Heritage last week but so far no reply. Hopefully someone will reply when they have time. I am quite willing to pay for a scan/print/transcription if they can provide one.

Boo