Author Topic: 1901 census help/any alternate resources out there I can use  (Read 9066 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census help/any alternate resources out there I can use
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 28 January 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a site called RootsIreland (subscription) that have transcriptions of the Tomacork/Carnew parish records up to 1900.
Wouldn't help with Kate but should get you the name of Unknown.

Thanks Sinann, I do have a sub (for a month) to that site and have used it a lot. I may be missing something obvious but why Tomacork/Carnew parish? Their home parish seems to have been Killaveney/Annacurra ?

Boo

Often, the nearest Church can be in neighbouring Parish.

Where I live, the river is Parish Boundary, people on opposite side of river attend the Church in this Parish which is on bank of river.

Their Parish Church is 5 miles away!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 28 January 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
It is Kilaveney, not Killaveney which is in Tyrone.

Makes a big difference if you Google "Kenny Kilaveney"  and "Kenny Killaveney"

I took the spelling (as I'd seen lots of different versions) from here

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0568

Boo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 28 January 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
No problem!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 28 January 18 11:38 GMT (UK) »
While not the names you are chasing....might be of interest??

"...This appears to be confirmed by the parish records of Walshes born in Kilaveney between 1831 and 1867 supplied to me by Kilaveney PP Fr Gahanin Dec 2005. Only one Pat listed, and he was born in 1854, the date indicated from his age on his gravestone. Unfortunately the
database names his father as JOHN, wife of Ann Kensheala, though this is an obvious error, as the records show a THOMAS Walsh and Ann Kenshala having a number of other children around this date. The witness on Patrick’s birth details is a JOHN Walsh, so this seems likely to have been a transposition in recording the details......"

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&ved=0ahUKEwjT8ZLvxfrYAhXIKsAKHS12Dvw4ChAWCEIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.corglancy.net%2Fwalshtree.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0bBbuiF-sl4qYGkBtCJlzv

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 28 January 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a site called RootsIreland (subscription) that have transcriptions of the Tomacork/Carnew parish records up to 1900.
Wouldn't help with Kate but should get you the name of Unknown.

Thanks Sinann, I do have a sub (for a month) to that site and have used it a lot. I may be missing something obvious but why Tomacork/Carnew parish? Their home parish seems to have been Killaveney/Annacurra ?

Boo

That's the parish I got when I looked up Drummin.
https://www.johngrenham.com/c_parish/c_parish_main.php?civilparishid=2703&county=&civilparish=Preban
See the panel to the side 'A summery for research sources for Preban' click on 5 Church Records and on the next page imaged online for the RC ones, but as hallmark said they probably went to the nearest church. Still might be worth checking Tomacork.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 28 January 18 12:36 GMT (UK) »

That's the parish I got when I looked up Drummin.
https://www.johngrenham.com/c_parish/c_parish_main.php?civilparishid=2703&county=&civilparish=Preban
See the panel to the side 'A summery for research sources for Preban' click on 5 Church Records and on the next page imaged online for the RC ones, but as hallmark said they probably went to the nearest church. Still might be worth checking Tomacork.

Thanks, I did check it (I have actually checked every Wicklow baptism 1884 +/- a year, for Walsh, father Patrick) and still not found anything for this child:-(

Some things just remain a mystery for a while longer!

On the upside, I have found a snippet in the newspaper about Patrick's (the father) death :-) which helps to confirm my translation of the change of occupation description to 'Tradesman'  from previously being recorded as Blacksmith.
3rd July 1909 (his death register entry says he died 28th June and described him as Tradesman)
<quote>
 Blacksmith dies suddenly
During the week a blacksmith named Walsh, residing in Ballinglen, died under somewhat sudden circumstances, His relatives, it appears, on Sunday morning left him to look after the house while they attended at Mass at the neighbouring church. On their return it was discovered that the man had entirely collapsed, and priest and doctor were sent for. Both arrived with great promptitude, but the unfortunate man died shortly after their arrival, presumably from heart failure.
</quote>

Every tiny piece of info helps to confirm things :-)

Boo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 01 February 18 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I think they were there but the page got missed during the filming, two pages got turned over we've all done it at sometime, or when the film was put online the image was missed, it might be worth asking at Wicklow Heritage, where ever that might be I'm sure we can find it.

I know Kildare Heritage has images missing from 1911 for their area.

I was in Kildare Heritage today getting a 1901 house and building return that is missing from the online census and I asked did they think Wicklow Heritage would have your missing return and they believed they should have it.
They were of the opinion all the locally held census reels are complete but there is a huge amount missing from the online census.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 01 February 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Only one Pat listed, and he was born in 1854, the date indicated from his age on his gravestone.

I wonder if this is your Pat.....

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile