Author Topic: catherine mcgonigal  (Read 2845 times)

Offline stephen mcdowall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
catherine mcgonigal
« on: Saturday 27 January 18 18:07 GMT (UK) »
hi, I am trying to trace any information on my grandmother Catherine McGonigal we think she came from the parish area of Derry, she married my grandfather James McDowall in Glasgow at St Patrick's church Anderson on 8/7/1914. she was related to James McGonigal who was part of the crazy gang his stage name was Jimmy gold.i would be delighted if anyone knew any information about Catherine's family

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: catherine mcgonigal
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat do you have her marriage certificate with names of her parents which could help ..And her date of birth ?

Rosie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Any idea of when she was born or age when she married?

It's possible she might be in 1911 and 1901 census, online Catholic baptismal register and there should be a birth registration but you'll need details like parents' names to confirm any record found.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline stephen mcdowall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the reply regarding Catherine I am trying to get a copy of her marriage certificate she was married in 1914 we think she would be around 18- 20 years old hopefully we can get a copy from the Glasgow end then we can progress further thanks, all who replied

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 18 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Marriage certificate should be available to view on Scotland's People website after you register and purchase a few credits.

You should probably also check to see if she's in Scotland in 1911 and 1901 if you don't find her in Ireland then.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 18 22:14 GMT (UK) »

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 18 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Just speculation for now, but I wondered about these folk in the 1901 and 1911 Ireland censuses, given that Mary Quigg's father was recorded as Thomas Quigg, a farmer, living at the time of her 1891 marriage and given that the registration informant present at the birth of Mary's son James in 1895 was Jane Quig, the child's aunt, living at 'Lisnascreagh':

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Slaght/Lisnascreghog/1520459/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Slaght/Lisnascreghog/591504/

A possibility for the couple in the above returns is Thomas Quigg and Charlotte Mullan, although I can't see a birth for a daughter Mary among their various children.  The 1911 census return indicates that Thomas and Charlotte married c. 1859, so maybe Mary was pre civil registration. 

Looks like deaths for Charlotte and Thomas in 1919-1920:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1919/05153/4421072.pdf

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1920/05133/4413594.pdf

Just a possibility to note until able to rule in or out.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 January 18 23:48 GMT (UK) »

What appears to be James McGonegal and his wife Mary (Quigg) were living at 89 Clyde Street Glasgow in the 1901 Scotland census, aged 30 and 28 respectively, James was recorded as a dock labourer, with the couple were children Bernard (9), Catherine (5), James (4) and John (1), all born Ireland bar John, who was born in Glasgow.

Offline nanville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 July 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
 Has anyone got Maisie McGonigal in their tree , born around 1930 she was married to my uncle Alan Wilson both lived in Glasgow, in Castle street.

scotland-anderson,bruce,wilson,carrick,elliott,fallan.
england-gribbon,evans,snell,anderson
australia-anderson, beattie
usa-campbell,anderson   canada-anderson.
mexico - Anderson and cramer