Author Topic: Historical Directories  (Read 407 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Historical Directories
« on: Sunday 28 January 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I've just visited this well-regarded set of resources after a couple of months, and noticed that there is an announcement that the data is now available on Ancestry.

I always found the search facility on the original site awkward to use, and when the re-hash was done a couple of years ago it became harder still, so another search method might be useful.

However, another freshly-noticed feature on the University of Leicester site was even more useful. You can now download an entire directory as a PDF. The PDF includes all the OCR text, and this lets you use the Find within PDF reader to locate things.

It was worth downloading the 150MB file to find the description of a particular street, something not possible from the Ancestry version, and quite clunky in the UofL search.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Historical Directories
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 January 18 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the Download feature is more obvious than it used to be.  I have "saves" dating back to 2013.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Historical Directories
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 January 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for pointing out the download  :-*

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY