Author Topic: Moriarty/Sullivan  (Read 3609 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moriarty/Sullivan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 January 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »
@myluck

thanks for this info. I am going to search for a birth certificate for the last born boy Timothy Moriarty on 2 April 1918, baptised on 7 April 1918. You have been so helpful, thank you. Another thing, we have confirmation and part records of my father's older brother Patrick being in St Joseph's but only confirmation, no records, that my father was in there. On the paper work it says Patrick and my father were found wandering without adult supervision. The Christian Brothers confirm he was in there but can provide no records, saying they are lost, like wise the minister for education in Dublin. Are there other ways of getting that information?

The 1918 births are not yet available on line
You could order his birth cert from the GRO; it is €4 for a photocopy of the register
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline valleygooner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 January 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi sinan

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the time frame of her death is very small but really can't find any record of her death. Interestingly enough, I can't find a birth record for the last child Timothy Moriarty born 2nd of April 1918.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 January 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
As My Luck explained you won't find him on Irish Genealogy due to the 100 year data rule.
He's on the index on Family Search
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&countryid=1927084&countryId=1927084
You have to sign up to that site now to see the results. (free)
Use the information from FamilySearch to order the cert using the form on Irish Genealogy
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 January 18 16:08 GMT (UK) »
The record Sinann is probably looking at is Civil Reference:
Registration Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1918; Tralee, Ireland
Volume Number   5; Page Number: 476

There is no maiden name shown but it is the only Timothy MORIARTY that year in Tralee
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline valleygooner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann and Myluck. Thanks for your help, I didn't see re the 100 year rule regarding the births. Is it possible to find out if the rest of my father's siblings were put into care after their mother died? I am lead to believe that only Patrick and my father were put into St Josephs but I am wondering if more of the younger children also ended up in care. Thanks so much, you are so helpful.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 14:41 GMT (UK) »
There is no rule around how families were split up and where they went after the death of a parent, especially a mother.

Girls and boys were often separated and usually when aged 7-8 or more.

Sometimes different family members took a child or two each, especially if they had no children of their own and a farm/business that needed help to run.

Also if a man remarried it was not unusual that the second wife would refuse to look after the children of the first marriage.

Different times.

Also if the family were poor Hanora would have had no possessions and a death certificate may not have been required for any legal purpose. If her death wasn't registered immediately they may have later seen no reason to.

Also I have come across where someone dies in a hospital/home and it is assumed by the family that the death was registered there and by the hospital that it was by the family. One as late as 1965 where there is a death notice in the newspaper but no civil death record.
Further generations:

Offline valleygooner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Myluck, thank you so much. It really is a mine field! Anyway, I'm going to concentrate on finding out about my father after he came out of St Josephs.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Best of luck with your research
Further generations:

Offline LJM2022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 March 22 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,
Just wondering if you are still looking for information on this person?
I am currently looking into the same family - I have been told that Hanora died during childbirth of her youngest Son Timothy (my husbands grandfather). Timothy's daughter only knows that she died giving birth to her dad and that he was raised by the neighbours and the many older brothers and sisters were taken into care (they didn't take newborns) - I have found no record of her death or Timothy's birth but she also said the husband (John) remarried again to a woman named Margaret. Have you ever found other information on these? death/burial records??
Thanks.