Author Topic: Abbreviations in North Ireland records  (Read 1704 times)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abbreviations in North Ireland records
« on: Monday 29 January 18 08:47 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out what "Ned" means. I encountered on Griffiths - "William Moore (Ned)". Later  I read people's nicknames were often in brackets. Now on a marriage record I have come across "Mr James Con Creswill, Nedd, to Anne......".

William above is in other records and Ned doesn't appear nor is he referred to as William Edward Moore.

Can anyone advise what it might mean, please?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abbreviations in North Ireland records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 January 18 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 January 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Richard-Griffiths.html

"...among the lessees of Plot 2 are two men called Patrick Regan. The townland name of Colla has been typed in parenthesis after the first Patrick (Patk) Regan. The townland name of Skull is recorded after the second Patrick Regan.

Richard Griffith expected his Valuators to provide additional information (agnomen) where two or more individuals in a townland shared the same name. This, as anyone studying Irish genealogy soon discovers, is a regular occurrence in some areas. While sometimes the agnomen merely helps to identify two different people, it sometimes provides direct genealogical information.

In this example for Colla, the agnomen identify the townlands where the two men live. So while one Patrick Regan lives in Colla, on the land he rents, the other lives in Skull. ..."

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 January 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Ned is a common alternative for Edward, like Kate for Catherine. There are many others in regular use in Ireland.

As you have discovered, Griffiths clerks used agnomens when there were 2 or more people in the same townland with the same name. So I am sure if you check the townland in question you’ll find another William Moore. The use of the agnomen tells you it’s 2 different people. Otherwise it is usually the same man with more than one piece of land or property. Ned was probably that William’s nickname.

As to the marriage record, I am less certain what Nedd means.  Can you provide a link to the marriage record so we can have a look at it?
Elwyn

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 January 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
See link given by Hallmark in reply #1

Ned is a townland.

I agree that it can also be an abbreviation of Edward.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 January 18 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Ned (Nedd, etc.- Nead in Irish apparently) is this townland in Co. Lndonderry-
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/keenaght/tamlaght-finlagan/ned/

When you see a name written in brackets in Griffith's, church records, etc. it denotes which individual in a townland the record is for or identifies a particular branch of a family. Often th bracketed name is that of the father or grandfather of the individual rather than their own nickname. Thus, 'Ned' (Edward or Edmund) might be father or grandfather of that William Moore mentioned in your first post.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 January 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou, everyone. Very helpful. I should have mentioned the William Moore (Ned) is in the townland of Carrowreagh on plots 10 and 11. There are 2 Williams there in 1858 and we know from 1826 and 1831 there are a Wm SR and a Wm Jr in Carrowreagh. There is also a land Indenture of Oct 1818 mentioning Wm SR and he is possibly a son of a Nehemiah Moore also in Griffiths on Carrowreagh 1 and 2. They are also in Crindle. I thought there was a 3rd William in 1858 in Carrowreagh but now I can't find where I saw that - maybe it was for 1831.

I thought Ned might be a mistranscription for Junior.

I have looked at the Valuation Revision Books which help to support when a death occured matched against a Will. We have a Will/death of a James Moore of 1861. In this Will old William is mentioned and with other information looks to be Wm on 8b in 1858. We wondered if he was also Wm SR who could have been born around 1760. He disappears from VRB in the period 1864-80. The Will of Wm JR was written in 1874 and he died in 1883 and he had adoining farms in Carrowreagh and  Carrowclare . The Will  mentions a Wm of Carrowreagh who is obviously not JR and SR appears to have died. Maybe he had no land or lease. There is a Wm who is a Labourer witness on a Will - 1861 I think.

Maybe Ned indicates Wm was from a family descended from an Edward but not sure how. There was an Edward  in Carrowreagh in first half 1700s with a son Nathan. Maybe from this line?

In 1858 there is a Wm in Carrowclare (9a 9c 16c) and it is felt this is Wm JR who looks to have married Jane Moore dau of Solomon Moore 1782-1860 and they were parents of James who died 1861. And Wm Jr was the Wm in Carrowclare in 1826 and 1831. In 1830 Solomon sold 10 acres to Wm Moore of Carrowreagh bordering the shore and in 1858 Solomon is on 15 and 16 wirh 15 on the shore.

Elwyn, the Nedd record is on a CD I have of BMD 1829-69 from the Londonderry Sentinel by  a group in the North Ireland FHS.

I am still analysing the material assembled and summaised in about 40 pages in date order and in 2 columns for Carrowreagh and Carrowclare to work out lineage for a Tristram Moore 1767-1839 and a Samuel Moore 1798-1850.

Marilyn

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 January 18 23:01 GMT (UK) »
PS to above Wm JR of 1883 Will was of Carrowreagh but possibly was also in Carfowclare and Crindle.

The Wms mentioned in VRB are in Carrowreagh.

Adjoining farms in Carrowclare and Carrowreagh of Wm JR not yet identified.

Marilyn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 January 18 23:09 GMT (UK) »