Author Topic: Grave in Littleover of Thomas Harpur  (Read 4192 times)

Offline fofofo1966

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grave in Littleover of Thomas Harpur
« on: Monday 29 January 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Harpur was buried in Littleover in 1823, his age is given as 76:
Thos Harpur age 76 on 3rd May 1823 at Littleover - From Derbyshire burial index.
Is anyone able to search the graves at Littleover, to see if it is still legible? Or perhaps someone has a photo of this grave?
He was married 11-06-1707 Mickleover Derbyshire to
Sarrah Walker burried 13-01-1823 Littleover Derbyshire.
Any help would be great as I reside in The Netherlands I am unable to have a look myself.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Grave in Littleover of Thomas Harpur
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 January 18 17:37 GMT (UK) »
There may not be a headstone.   :-\

Have you tried a request on findagrave
https://www.findagrave.com/photo-request/search/cemetery/2329029?name=St%20Peter%27s%20Churchyard
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 January 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Or possibly contact the church - there appears to be a substantial graveyard.

http://www.stpeterlittleover.org.uk/contact

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 January 18 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in your Thomas Harpur fofofo.

I too have one (well, several generations of them!) around that area.

Are you sure the wife of your Thomas was Sarah Walker married 11th June 1770? (you have written '1707' - but I take that as a typo, otherwise he would have been married 40 years before he was born!  :D).
I'd be very interested in this Thomas.
Have you found any children born to them christened at Littleover or Mickleover?
Do you have a birth for Thomas about 1747 Littleover/Mickleover?

I have a Thomas Harpur ch 1770 at Etwall, just 3 miles from Littleover and Mickleover, to a Thomas Harpur. Unfortunately no mother's name given in the parish register. The father Thomas was ch 1738 at Etwall, to yet another Thomas.

Do any of these fit with yours?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline fofofo1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rosie & BumbleB, thank you for your suggestions; I have written to both of them.

Offline fofofo1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear Goldie,

I am trying to prove the lineage towards the Harpur Crew family of Calke Abby. I have an article of Maxwell Craven, a gnealogist, stating that my branche of brickmakers is indeed connected; but I am trying to find proof of this. I put another post on the forum about this:
I am trying to find the baptism of two children of Thomas Harpur & Sarah Walker [married 11-06-1770 Mickleover Derbyshire]. Their twin sons Joseph & John Harpur were both Brickmakers in Derbyshire and most likely born around 1781. I have those of their brothers & sisters, but somehow can not locate them;  it should exist in the parish register or Bishop's Transcripts, but doesn't appear online. Perhaps in the Derbyshire Records Office. They also have non-conformist records, so I am told.
Family Search
•   Sarah dau of Thomas HARPUR was baptised 4th February 1771 (Littleover)
Littleover parish registers - 1775-1784
•   Sarah, daughter of Thomas and Sarah HARPUR, bap. 04 February 1773 (listed with baptisms in 1774).
•   Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas and Sarah HARPUR, bap. 11 September 1774.
•   Thomas, son of Thomas and Sarah HARPUR, bap. 16 February 1777.
Derby, St Peter’s registers - 1775- 1784 
•   Henry son of Thomas and Sarah HARPUR was baptised September 19th 1779.
Family Search
•   William son of Thomas and Sarah HARPUR was baptised January 18th 1785 (St Peters).
•   James son of Thomas and Sarah HARPUR was baptised October 24th 1786 (St Peters).
•   George son of Thomas and Sarah HARPUR was baptised October 5th 1788 (St Peters).

So four males were baptised to Thomas and Sarah HARPUR.  There is however a gap between 1779 and 1785 when it is possible that two other children could have been born. 

Thomas Harpur & Sarah Walker could be found in the 1809 census which I do not have. 

I reside in The Netherlands and need any help I can get.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 February 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi fofofo
I have been trying to see if your Harpurs and mine are connected - but I can’t find anything to tie them together.

I have looked into Harpurs families from various places around that part of Derbyshire - Etwall, Littleover, Boylestone, Morley. All very close places. There are quite a lot of wills for various families in those places.

So starting with the furthest away in time that mentions Littleover:

The will of John Harpur in 1691, rector of Morley (About 5 miles north of Littleover), is one of the most interesting.
If you haven’t seen it, he talks of “the paternal Estate of my Ancestors in Littleover and Mickleover”.
He had quite a lot of land to pass on - mainly to his son John, He also has several daughters, including Elizabeth, who was the widow of Sir Samuel Sleigh. So they moved in the upper circles of society. I don’t know who the father of this John Harpur, rector, was. I think he was probably related to the Harpur Crewes, but  no proof.
John’s sister Mary died in 1694 in London. Another interesting will. It sounds as if the family had a house in London, as well as in Derbyshire. She left a will  proved at the PCC London (on Ancestry).
She leaves bequests to the poor of Littleover, Etwall, Morley and St Andrews Holbourne in London, along with various other people. So the ‘Harpurs’ obviously had connections/ were connected in all those places.

There seem to have been innumerable John and Thomas Harpurs in many of these families! Makes it very difficult to pin down exactly who was who.
You can’t always rely on the name ‘Harpur’ being related to the Harpur Crewes as well. I have seen the names written ‘Harpur’ and ‘Harper’ within the same document! I think many of the Derbyshire clerks wrote it ‘Harpur’ just because that was how the Harpur Crewes wrote it, and the people weren’t necessarily part of that family.

Have you seen the will of Thomas Harpur 1835 of Littleover?
He mentions his two brothers Joseph and John, brickmakers of Derby. So looks like your family. Gives you a link, even if you can’t find their baptisms, which may be missing for a variety of reasons.

I see there is a will for a John Haprur 1747 at Littleover, and also one in 1721 at Littleover, on findmypast, which I have not looked at yet, which would be interesting to look at and see if the trail can be made through them.

Not sure what you mean about the ‘1809 Census’ in your last post? As far as I am aware, there is no 1809 Census.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline fofofo1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 February 18 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Dear Goldie,

Thank you for your time and effort to help me. I indeed found the will of Thomas in which he mentions his brothers Joseph & John [twins] ans Henry with his son Thomas. So indeed a link! I now need to connect them to their father. I know his name was Thomas too; it states so on the 3rd marriage document of Joseph Harpur. He, Thomas Harpur Sr. [born about 1747], should be married to Sarah Walker [11-06-1770 Littleover], son of Henry Harpur and Elizabeth Wagg [married 19-12-1746 Derbyshire]. If I find this link I would have proof of the fact that I indeed am related to the Harpur family of Calke. Perhaps there is more to be found of Thomas Harpur Sr.; a will/land deeds/ba[tism/marriage etc. Any help would be great. Greetings from The Netherlands.

Offline fofofo1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 18 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Goldie,

The last two wills you mentioned of John 1721 & 1747 , If possible could you look for me?

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php