Author Topic: John Masterton photographer breakthrough!  (Read 2794 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Masterton photographer breakthrough!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have just made an amazing breakthrough thanks to GR2 on the Aberdeenshire page of Rootschat. I have spent 7 years looking for information on the missing decade of my great great uncle John Masterton 1846-1908.
He was a successful grocer with a large and apparently happy family in Fife until 1897 when he was declared bankrupt and he disappeared, I don't know which came first but then he disappeared.
He died in 1908 in the Commercial Hotel, Portsoy, Banff a long way from home and was described as a photographer. In the 1901 census he also gave the same profession and was lodging in Aberlour.
Despite 7 years of searching including help from local archives and libraries there has been no trace of him working as a photographer until last night when GR2 sent me a picture of his great great grandparents, it was taken by 'J Masterton of Portsoy' which was written clearly on the card.
I now have evidence and GR2 suggested that I try this board to see if anyone has any information on John Masterton.
I have tried directories with no luck and am just hoping that local knowledge will throw up some information.
I am greedy, I have just had a bit of incredible luck and now want more! If anyone in Portsoy or Banff has come across the photographs or place of work of John Masterton I would love to hear about it.
Alison

Aberdeenshire thread merged with the Banffshire thread.

Offline Gordon Masterton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 December 18 00:23 GMT (UK) »
You may have seen this page about John Masterton already. http://www.themastertons.org/genealogy_tng/getperson.php?personID=I137&tree=largo
Gordon Masterton

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 December 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Yes, thank you, I have seen it. The Masterton’s site is my ‘go to’  place for this part of my family, it is a brilliant resource.
Alison