Author Topic: Duncan Rose.  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan Rose.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Re Duncan - his parents were Donald Ros(e) and Jessie Cumming, both deceased. Jessie is a pet name for Janet. Therefore the 1851 census found by Monica is looking very likely to be correct as is the baptism in my earlier post.

There is no evidence that Donald and Jessie (Janet) ever married - writing a maiden name on a marriage cert. can help to "hide" illegitimacy. It might be worth obtaining Duncan's death cert. to see what information that has.

I have looked for further information about Jessie/ Janet Cumming and and can see nothing beyond the 1851 census.

This may be her in the 1841 census in Tomintoul but because relationships are not given in 1841 cannot be sure.

West side of village

Widow Cumming 70 ind
Donald Cumming 35
Jannet Cumming 25

Two further references from the Kirkmichael Kirk Session Records state

1841 Janet Cumming " In Tomintoul with child by Donald Ron, Ruthven". I am now even more convinced that Ron is an incorrect  transcription of Ross.

1844  A Janet Cumming is on te poor list.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
The original image with full details on their parents' names is available to view on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Duncan gave his place of birth as Tomintoul in Banff. This is in the parish of Kirkmichael. There is this 1851 census entry that might fit for him:

Janet Cumming 34 general servant unmarried b. Tomintoul Kirkmichael, Banffshire
Betsy Ross 8 daughter b Kirkmichael, Banffshire
Duncan Ross 6 son b. Kirkmichael, Banffshire

Address: Main Street  Krkmichael Tomintoul-Banffshire

Rose and Ross can be interchangeable.

Monica

Looks like Monica found the mother of Donald Ross earlier  ;D

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Oops sorry - see these were posted earlier in the thread - just catching up on it all.

Betsey Ross - born 10 October 1841 baptised  5 December 1841 - Kirkmichael. Banff Scotland.   Parents Janet Cummings and Donald Ross.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB38-NXX

Duncan Ross - born 5 January 1844 baptised 17 October 1844 -
parents Donald Ross and Janet Cummings.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lg5/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I suspect, Sandra, that Betsey is the child referred to in the Kirk Session Records. As with her mother I cannot see anything for her beyond  1851.

Mind you I do not have a certain sighting of Duncan after 1851 in the census until 1881!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline nenepops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic, so much appreciated for all your help.🙏🏻

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I thought this might be Donald in 1861:

Donald Ross, 15, cattle man, servant b Kirkmichael Banff

Working in the McGrigor (farmer) household at Torranbuie, Strathdon, Aberdeenshire

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 February 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
So Janet could possibly be their mum? Strange in those days being not married..
Not really. IIRC, according to T C Smout's A Century of the Scottish People the authorities were horrified to discover, after the first year of statutory civil registration in 1855, that 19% (nearly one in five) births in Banffshire were illegitimate. The illegitimacy rate varied dramatically between counties. IIRC it was only 2% in Ross and Cromarty.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Spartan67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 February 18 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to come to the thread a bit late.  I have been researching the Rose aka Ross (used interchangeably) family in Tomintoul.  I think there is a link starting (going back in years) with John McDonald (aka Ross/Rose) b.1890 born illegitimate to Barbara Rose b.1872 born illegitimate to Elspet (aka Elsie) b.1843.  I believe Elsie’s mother was Elizabeth Cumming b.1800 & her father John Rose/Ross b.1807.  That's as far as I've got in my searches so far.

I also have seen that there is a place ? farm called Ruthven about a mile to the north of Tomintoul - could that be the Rathven/Ruthven mentioned previously in this thread?

Cheers
Lee, Ross, Rose, Stuart, McDonald, Ford, Brewster, Gandy, Jackson, Tomintoul

Offline Spartan67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 February 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Attached map of 1875 showing Ruthven
Lee, Ross, Rose, Stuart, McDonald, Ford, Brewster, Gandy, Jackson, Tomintoul