Author Topic: Family Tree Maker 2006 Problem  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Family Tree Maker 2006 Problem
« on: Tuesday 30 January 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help resolve a problem that's occurred with my FTM 2006?

Since before Christmas last there have been numerous occasions when details of an individual have completely disappeared leaving, in the Index of Individuals "<Unnamed>" and "Bef. Bef." in the birth and date columns.  The latter appears on what was their "page"  :-\

Since I started using this program, some years ago now, I've spent a "substantial" amount of money acquiring information, to say nothing of the associated time and effort.

Ancestry recently sold FTM to Software MacKiev - who are about as much help as a bar of chocolate in a furnace-room - and have said that since my software is "not compatible with my Operating System" (Windows 10), it "might not function correctly" and "there's nothing they can do about it." Why then did it work as before even when I updated my laptop for a Windows 10 one?

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?  How did you get round it?

I'd appreciate any constructive assistance before the frustration decimates (what's left of) the hair on my head  >:(

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker 2006 Problem
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry recently sold FTM to Software MacKiev - who are about as much help as a bar of chocolate in a furnace-room - and have said that since my software is "not compatible with my Operating System" (Windows 10), it "might not function correctly" and "there's nothing they can do about it." Why then did it work as before even when I updated my laptop for a Windows 10 one?

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?  How did you get round it?

I'd appreciate any constructive assistance before the frustration decimates (what's left of) the hair on my head  >:(

Regards

Chiad Fhear[/font][/size]
Hi,
I was working with FTM2005 for ages and continued to happily do so after upgrading my computer to Windows 10. However about 4-5 months back it started acting strangely (not in the same way as yours though). This coincided with a Windows update. Fearing the worst, I ensured my data files (.FTW) were safely backed up and tried a few things. My last resort was to uninstall FTM and reinstall. Hey Presto! It worked and I could happily use FTM again....for a while. Then around 6 weeks later, a second Windows update caused similar issues, so again I reinstalled and again it was fine....until a further month or so, when another Windows update took FTM out again. This time I realised the writing was on the wall. The later version of FTM was getting bad posts on here, so I tried out a couple of alternatives (free, cut down versions) and eventually settled on RootsMagic. I got the full version, imported my .FTW file totally seamlessly and onwards I went.

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
When Mckiev introduced FTM 2017 they warned that the sync feature in older versions would cease to work. What they didn't say was that they would do this by disabling the whole Internet access capability in ALL older versions.
I have FTM 2013 on one computer and 2014.1 on another, both use W7 Home, and both continued to work fine until a few months ago when the Internet access disappeared.
 I know some people did report the compatibility warning when they were forced to install older versions with W10 but found no problems with continued use after ignoring it.
So it may be that that the firewall Mckiev have apparently introduced in older versions is incompatible with W10 or updates.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Have to say though that I upgraded to FTM2017 issued by MacKiev and really haven't found any problems with the programme itself in terms of major differences to previous versions of FTM (not talking about its interaction with OS etc).

For me the transfer between my old version (which was FTM 12 upgraded from FTM2006) to FTM2017 was seamless so I wouldn't be afraid just to upgrade to the new version.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 17:47 GMT (UK) »
When Mckiev introduced FTM 2017 they warned that the sync feature in older versions would cease to work. What they didn't say was that they would do this by disabling the whole Internet access capability in ALL older versions.

The sync version was introduced with I think FTM2012, it didn't exist prior to that.

I suspect the problem with FTM2006 is that there are incompatibility issues certain windows components used with the program so that when windows updates, these get upgraded and then do not work properly with FTM2006.  Reinstalling FTM2006 probably then overwrites the newer version with the older one which is why ReadyDale was finding it worked until another update.  its not unusual and can happen with any older software.  The windows component probably wasn't affecting anything else when it was "downgraded" or other errors would happen, or just that it wasn't being used by any program.

My aunt upgraded to FTM2017 from Macv3 and she's had no end of problems with syncing and other issues which may or may not be down to the user.  I think there are issues with it for some people.  That said, I don't believe they offer an upgrade version now so its about £79 to purchase which is somewhat expensive.  I moved to Family Historian in 2013 from FTM2012 and although I was using FTM2012 occasionally to sync a tree I have attached to my sub for a friend, I decided not to upgrade but upgraded my version of Roots Magic which I only use intermittently and that does, albeit with manual sync facility, for what I need for that.  I'm happy staying with Family Historian. 
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Today I exported (what's left of) my file as a GEDCOM then started a new "tree".  The "errors" were highlighted and I was given the option to pass on them - which I have done  ::)

I'll backtrack - AGAIN - re-enter the lost names and details and see what happens.  Thankfully I've kept hard copy reports of many of the branches.

I suppose - if push come to  shove - I'll maybe have to go for the latest software.

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
If you do decide to go down the new software route, try a few (free) trial versions. Many of them are quite full of features and you MAY decide you have enough without paying at all.

Also, before you go to the trouble of re-entering all the missing data "eaten" by the glitches, is it worth restoring from back-up from just before the trouble started?
I assume you do back up regularly?!?

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 February 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I think that there are a few lessons here for us all.

1 - 12 year old software - We really cannot expect it to work the way it did in 2006. Updates and security patches happen without us really knowing they are going on. All it takes is for one to be incompatible for the whole lot to come crashing down like a house of cards. And remember that it is the job of the add on program to be compatible with your Operating System (windows or whatever), not the other way round. FTM2006 was not updated, it was superseded, not just once, but a few times. Day by day it has become less compatible with the latest Operating Systems - errors are bound to creep in.

2 - When your Ford goes wrong, it is no good complaining to Vauxhall.
Ancestry recently sold FTM to Software MacKiev - who are about as much help as a bar of chocolate in a furnace-room - and have said that since my software is "not compatible with my Operating System" (Windows 10), it "might not function correctly" and "there's nothing they can do about it."

Just be thankful that it worked for as long as it did.

3 - Back-ups. Ideally, everytime you work on your tree, but we are human beings and real life gets in the way. I always do a full virus check and back-up on a Friday - because that is the day my wife reminds me. Although it might not suit all, there is a lot to be said for handwritten notes. I use the "black&red" type of journal sold by WH Smith, because it has a solid cover.

4  - Start saving for future Family Tree needs. Be it software, or licences, or fees, or fuel - it all costs. I put a £1 a week in an old sweet jar, plus a £1 for every day I use the car. Some weeks it is only £1, but some weeks it is £8. I don't notice it, but it soon adds up.

Although our genealogical research is a hobby, we should really treat it like a job and do it as professionally as we possibly can.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia