Author Topic: Puzzled by shared matches on Ancestry  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
Puzzled by shared matches on Ancestry
« on: Tuesday 30 January 18 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I have found several instances where person A shows a shared match with me and person B but when I look at person B they don't show a shared match with me and person A.   I don't understand how this can happen and would welcome some enlightenment.
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzled by shared matches on Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 15:22 GMT (UK) »
One explanation -

https://thegeneticgenealogist.com/2017/01/03/clustering-shared-matches/

Another could be that they all share DNA with you as 4th to 6th cousins, but the others only match each other as 5th to 8th cousins and are thus excluded in the main from shared matches.

There are probably other scenarios.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Many thanks for that link.   It's really interesting and worth reading more than once to take it all in.   

I hadn't realised that the match with all parties had to be a certain length to count as shared.   I think this is what I've understood anyway!

Diana

Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
On the whole, ancestry only show shared matches for 4th to 6th cousins and closer. Occasionally you will find a 5th to 8th cousin shared match if one of your closer matches is closely related to this 5 to 8, if you get my drift.

Click on most of your 5 to 8 cousins and it will give no shared matches. I thought at one stage I would like to see more distant shared matches, but if you think we have several thousand of these, shared matches would take a lot of sifting through.

That link does indeed need more than one reading to understand.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at some of my shared matches.

My first cousin and I share several matches with each other.
Some are through the Laversuch family, our mutual 2G grandparents through paternal line of grandfather. Some are through the Barker family, mutual 2G grandparents through maternal line of grandfather. The Laversuch ones match with each other, the Barker ones match with each other, but Laversuch and Barker don't match each other.

Take this as far back as 5G grandparents (6th cousins) and you have many instances where mutual shared matches between me and my first cousin have nothing in common with each other.

Hope this helps

Margaret

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Thank you so much for that extra information.   It really helps to clarify things.

Diana
Muzzell - Sussex
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for asking this question id been wondering that too
And thanks for the explanations which icould understand without reading the links
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Kempie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 February 18 04:11 GMT (UK) »
All DNA test company  raw data can be upoadedto Gedmatch  you might have a better result   

Offline Jan_A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 March 18 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I would definitely upload to Gedmatch.com.  I was looking for relatives in Ireland/England and on Gedmatch I found one (I looked at email addresses from the UK)... so I emailed one.  Then I found out he had a tree on ancestry and we showed up as a match WAY down the line (which I expected).  SO we are pretty darn sure we're related, just not sure how YET.... but we're working on it and sharing some crazy family stories to pass the time :)

Jan
Gedmatch kit: A167435

Mum's side: Goss, Stapleton, Dreese, Conner,  Bottenhorn/Bodenhorn, Buterbaugh

Dad's side: Muhl, Junge, Simpson, Keenan, Kirk, Griffin