Author Topic: lookup request - Grace KERR birth or baptism record  (Read 5485 times)

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
Re: lookup request - Grace KERR birth or baptism record
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I don't think this is the correct couple. The son Kenneth had a middle name recorded in his baptism Mcculloch (same as his Mother's maiden name). It's not Mcclure.
flst
Fair enough.
It was worth a try.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline colmc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Also the 1811 birth seems a bit too far apart to be a sibling of Mary born around 1838-1841

I was just holding off on purchasing anything as a month subscription/upgrade elsewhere might be more efficient for roughly the same price - I'm cheap  ;D

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 23:46 GMT (UK) »
buckhyne, that's the spirit :)
regards,flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 23:50 GMT (UK) »
colmc, that's okay. Just to let you know that scotlandspeople is the only place you'll get the original records. You can read more about researching Scottish records in the help topics here on rootschat. i did a quick search but couldn't spot any obvious Kerr family members in the births, marriages & deaths. It does not cost anything to do a search, only to view the full details.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline colmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 February 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
only other place I could find them was ancestry so just got the minimum credits - now to go see if I can find out anything more on Kenneth and Margaret

Offline colmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 February 18 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Found a Kenneth Kerr in 1893 aged 68 (1825) in Mullaghmore Sligo (bordering county to Mayo) pensioner coastguard officer, and his son Thomas was present at death

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 February 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Sounds very promising! Well done :)
flst

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 01 February 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Nell could you post a link for me to download the files -

National Archives Digital Microfilm page:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/free-online-records-digital-microfilm/

Scroll down to the list of records available.  Coastguard records are in ADM 175. 

These are the references that I found:
ADM 175/006 p 477
N 7633 13 Oct 1841
Thomas Kerr nominated from Shamrock RC
Removed 17 Mar 1842 to Dunbeg  129 R3310

ADM 175/100
Thomas Kerr - Boatman at Portlooe
Removed  18 Mar 42 to Dunbeg

ADM 175/017   129 p208 (Dunbeg)
R3310 17 Mar 1842 ex Portlooe 229  Thomas Kerr Boatman Removed 29 Sept 1842 Ballywater 270 R 3974

ADM 175/017  p 411 (Ballywater)
R3972 29 Sep 1842 ex Doonbeg 129 Thomas Kerr Removed 29 Jan 1844 to Greenore 286 R 1316

ADM 175/017 286 p 446 (Greenore)
Removed 20 Nov 1844 r 1917 to Carlingford 305

They are only one line in the record of each establishment (files can be 300 - 700 pages long).  I have not managed to trace him when he served on the Shamrock.  The ship's records are not online, but at Kew.  From this:

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/18-1900/S/04228.html

it seems that the Shamrock was stationed in Ireland and the muster lists date from Jan 1825 - Jun 1845.

Thomas was pensioned 7 Sep 1857.  I have found some more records from 1836 onwards this, but there seems to be some conflict with the other records (maybe I misread/misrecorded something last night):

ADM 175/18 p 203 Kilcorgan
1 Mar 1836 CGS Ballyvaughan??  Thomas Kerr Chief Boatman removed 4 Jan 1843 N I Aran

ADM 175/19 p 209 North Isle of Aran
R4181 4 Jan 1843 ex Kilcorgan Chief Boatman removed 9 Sep 1845 to Casleh bay
(Kenneth there as Commissioned Boatman 1850 removed 1851 to Lettermore)

ADM 175/18 p 197 Casleh Bay

If you are interested, Kenneth Kerr's naval record is here:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6611066

If you have a sub for ancestry it can be seen there, or you can download it from TNA for a fee.  Many coastguards in the later 19th century can be found in the Naval records.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 01 February 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes!!  Found an entry in ADM 175/16 when he was appointed to Mellisle on 1 July 1826 from Belhevie, although I can't find him on the record there.

So I think that record for Grace is the one you are looking for.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk