Author Topic: My Prussian relative and his origins  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Prussian relative and his origins
« on: Wednesday 31 January 18 04:46 GMT (UK) »
This is a very difficult one for me. I don't know how to follow up on European family.

My relative is Herman Julius Schauer.

His marriage cert has him born in Stettin, Prussia about 1839. His parents written down were Carl Schauer and Auguste Hertz.

A better piece of info comes from his marriage cert to his first wife Charlotte Auguste Tugedrich Buhro in 1863.
On that certificate he has his father down as Carl Heinrich Schauer
This marriage was in Prenzlau, Brandenburg, Preuben (Prussia?)

I say first wife, because I believe he skipped the country after the birth and death of his son in 1868.

Charlotte Auguste Tugendreich Schauer is seen marrying again in 1886 in the same city that she married Herman Julius Schauer. Herman probably skipped town after the loss of a child.

I haven't found a marriage for his parents, but I did find a Marie Malwine Wilhelmine Schauer born 6 Sept 1840 in Stettin, Pommern, Prussia to the parents Carl Heinrich Schauer and Julie Augueste (I'm certain i saw the name Hertz included there, but it'd need to double check)

Is there much more information about the family I can infer from this information?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My Prussian relative and his origins
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Stettin is in modern day Poland, and is called Szczecin.
(Stettin is the German version of the name!)

Prenzlau is in modern day Germany; Preußen was the German spelling of Prussia.
ß (Eszett) is the character for the pronunciation of "s" and "z" together!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Be more precise.

what documents have you got? what documents are you looking for?
Where did you get your info from? Have you an Ancestry subscription? etc

It would help if you supported your query by uploading the respective doc´s.

Dave

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I haven't done any German research for many years, which I did in my local Morman FHS in England.  However, I see from the familysearch.org website that the Morman Church (Church Of Latter Day Saints) has started to computerise the original films they took of church register books in the 1980s. Their website states they've stopped sending out films to all the Morman & other Family History Centres, but as it's likely that many FHS centres still have their own copies of the films ordered over many years there's a possibility they still have their copies.

I see from the familysearch website that the place of birth of your ancestor had many churches (kirchen) of the Ev. Lutheran faith and one Catholic church.  It seems that only two of the bmd register books have been computerised, thus other records will not show up on the familysearch website and you'll have to find an FHS centre near you and enquire whether they have a microfilm covering the churches of the town you are interested in.  I'm presuming the familysearch website still has a list of their FHS Centres.  One other resource open to you is to surf for the Polish archive that holds the church records.

Here's the webpage showing what is available for Szczecin (Stettin).

link

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lg3/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 February 18 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hey Everyone Thanks for your help so far. I spent some time looking over the Schauers in Stettin for those Churches and couldn't find any of the names I was after. Perhaps their church wasn't one of the 4 in Familysearch? I was browsing for quite awhile to find anything on Schauer.

Davecapps
The Documents I have relating to Herman include

His Aug 1871 Marriage Cert in Bendigo, Victoria, Written down as
Herman Julius Schauer. Bachelor and Miner. Born in Stettin Russia. Age 31 (so b. about 1840)
Son of Carl Schauer (Locksmith) and Auguste Hertz (appears so, maybe Harz, the writing is tiny, but his death cert has Hertz for mother)
(Fun fact. His daughter Auguste Frederika Schauer b. 1881 may have been named after his mother)

I have an Unassisted passenger of Mr Schauer, age 30, listed as Irish coming of a 9 April 1869 ship to Melbourne called Gothenburg from the port of Greymouth.
My thought here is the age matches and he might have been hiding his nationality? How many Irish Schauers could there be? It only puts his age out about 12 months. from the marriage cert. but if this ship document is incorrect, it doesn't change his origin story from Stettin.

I have Herman Julius Schauer dying in 1844, Bairnsdale Victoria. Apparently he died age 44 (1844) which would be 5 years off, but all the papers in that area prove him to be from the right family, and death cert of the right parents.

I have the marriage listing from ancestry of the book "Evangelische Kirche Sankt Jacobi Prenzlau (KrSt. Prenzlau)" on 25 Jun 1863 of a Herrmann Julius Schauer.
Age 24 (So b. about 1839)
Father listed as Carl Heinrich Schauer
Married Charlotte Auguste Tugedrich Buhro
Prenzlau, Brandenburg, Preuben

I have from Familysearch a son
Paul Max Franz Oscar born and buried the same year 1868, Berlin, Brandenburg, Germany.
Father: Herman Schauer with no mother's name.

Though now as I write this. I see that there there there was another couple named:
Hermann Julius Schauer & Catherine Sophie Elmeier. who had 2 Children in nearby int he city of: BARTHOLOMAEUS, BERLIN STADT, BRANDENBURG, PRUSSIA
1.) Franz Friedrich Schauer 1867
2.) Hermann Arthur Schauer 1869
So maybe this Paul Max Franz Oscar Schauer could be theirs.

I've mentioned this document too, This time, from the book "Evangelische Kirche Sankt Marien Prenzlau"
Charlotte Auguste Tugendreich Schauer marrying a Karl Heinruch Otto Rohde in 1886, Prenzlau, Brandenburg, Preuben. Her father was Johnn Christian Friedrich Buhrow.

Lastly. From familysearch I find the parents Carl Heinrich Schauer with Julie Auguste Schauer
They had children the.

1840 Brabow Stettin, Pommern, Prussia
1842 Neuwarp, Pommern, Prussua
1845 Neuwarp, Pommern, Prussua
1846 Neuwarp, Pommern, Prussua
etc...

Since their 1840 child was born in Stettin, which is only down the road from Neuwarp, I assumed that Hermann born probably 1839 would have been born there too to these same parents who moved after their 1840 child. Since I haven't haven't found Herman Julius Schauer's baptism yet.

I haven't got an Ancestry subscription, or anything like it. I just find the info where I can.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 February 18 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Because you haven't added a location to your profile, it's difficult to offer advice?
But many libraries have Ancestry Library Edition, which is free to use.
It might be worth checking with your local library?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 February 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hey Everyone Thanks for your help so far. I spent some time looking over the Schauers in Stettin for those Churches and couldn't find any of the names I was after. Perhaps their church wasn't one of the 4 in Familysearch? I was browsing for quite awhile to find anything on Schauer.

I'd already looked and seen that the information you were seeking wasn't there.

I'd urge anyone to view original church records because they often give further clues.  For instance many witnesses were family members.   My ancestor had three given names donated by the witnesses at his baptism, further research showed that one was donated by his mother's maternal grandfather.   That baby's father was illegitimate yet one of the witnesses at his baptism was his natural father who I then easily discovered from a people count/census was actually a married family man of a different religious persuasion.

I don't know about Poland, but I know that films of German church books are not readily available in that country which makes this an expensive hobby on the European mainland.  As the Church of Latter Day Saints is based in the USA and has a massive market, it's natural that records of their ancestry gets priority.

I see you are based south of the Equator and in your shoes I would be 'phoning your nearest FHS or  Morman Family History Centre to enquire if they have any of the films (listed on familysearc.org) that you need to view. 

Wikipedia lists the Morman Church FHS research centres available to you - see below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints_in_Australia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints_in_New_Zealand

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline naturallycurly

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm in a slightly similar situation in that the FHL hasn't gotten around to digitizing my ancestral village, yet. I was just about to order them, only to find they had stopped shipments. 😡

I found out you can request that your films be moved "up the list" in the filming queue. Make sure you have the film names and numbers, then call FamilySearch customer service or send a help request. Make sure to include a phone number - they called me the next day to finetune my request.

Best wishes!