Author Topic: The Illegitimate child of James Stephenson  (Read 7898 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Illegitimate child of James Stephenson
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 03 February 18 07:37 GMT (UK) »
James STEVENSON  [STEPHENSON] :

[married 2 June 1890 to Rosanna* BEATTY.    STEVENSON is the surname used by both, from about that date.]

I am assuming the marriage took place in Wellington.   
 *"Rosanna" was in fact "Rose Ann BEATTY" a widow with four?  children. 
As Rose FARRELLY, she had married in 1873 to a James BEATTY and they apparently spent time in Kaikoura (South Island) before coming to Wellington circa 1884 where James leased the Albion Hotel on Tory Street.    In early September he transferred his licence to the Masonic Hotel, Cuba Street, but just a matter of weeks later he died at that place, aged 43 years.

In December 1885, his widow Rose Ann applied to take over his Publican's licence = granted;   with a further extension of same granted in May 1886.
[Sourced from newspapers and various other records and indexes, licencing data,  etc. ]
----

As previously shown >  Wellington e/roll 1890 >  the James STEVENSON at Molesworth Street, hotelkeeper, is, I believe,  the James STEVENSON married to Rose Ann.

In early June 1890 (just a few days after the wedding),  Rose Ann BEATTY* makes application for a Publican's licence in respect of the Metropolitan Hotel  (situated at Molesworth Street).   [Note:  *  Application is in her former surname of BEATTY - and there is a "later issue" with this aspect. ]

About a third of way down this following column, it is revealed how the Licencing Committee "discovers" that there is "no such person, Mrs BEATTY having married a Mr STEVENSON some 12 months ago".   Further they want to know why the licence hasn't been transferred to Mr. STEVENSON ....  ::)  ;D
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZTIM18910616.2.37.26

A reminder too -- just a month after this episode, Agnes FULLBROOK is appearing before a Wellington Magistrate in a bid to have her husband pay her more maintenance.
4 July 1891
  []
will add newspaper reference shortly   added >

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP18910704.2.8

~  Lu                                                       continues  next  > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 03 February 18 08:09 GMT (UK) »
James STEVENSON :

1891 - continued >

... I think Rose Ann was a "smart cookie" or at least got good legal advice about what was "hers" (and what wasn't  his - Mr. STEVENSON's).   "New Zealand Times" - 18 April 1891 -  carried an article re: STEVENSON v. STEVENSON  where the Court had made an order against the defendant under the "Married Woman's Property Protection Act". 
[I'm only guessing of course that it refers to Rose Ann and James STEVENSON.   :D ]

In early May 1891 though, there followed publication of the intention of Rose Ann STEVENSON to make formal application for a Publican's licence ... in respect of the Metropolitan Hotel, Molesworth Street.

Maybe it was about this time that the relationship of Rose Ann and James STEVENSON broke down ??     I hadn't ever found them sharing an address other than the Metropolitan Hotel c. 1890 - 1891. Nor did I find any info suggesting that James applied for, or held a Publican's licence.
And ... "New Zealand Times" - 13 January 1892 ... "Messrs DWAN Bros (hotel brokers) announce that they "have disposed of Mrs STEPHENSON's interest in the Metropolitan Hotel , to Annie SMITH."

By 1893, Rose Ann is living in Belfast Street (Wellington City) and James STEVENSON shows up as >     
1893 - Wellington roll
STEVENSON - James - Royal Oak Hotel - waiter :

------

Seany ... this is so far all a bit strung out ... but promise, we get back to James STEVENSON, next !
          ~   Lu                                                                   continues -  next > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 February 18 09:08 GMT (UK) »
James STEPHENSON :

From Agnes's Divorce (info sourced from newspaper articles), we know that she "confessed" to having dallied with a James STEPHENSON ... and in 1896 his address and occupation are published in conjunction with Divorce proceedings [namely > James STEPHENSON - Masterton - waiter].

James STEVENSON springs up in Masterton somewhere around 1894 :
"Wairarapa Daily Times - 24 August - 1894
... James STEVENSON, Manager of Club Hotel, Masterton >.. (Joseph MANDEL, Proprietor) ... Breach of Licencing Act.   [Possibly some other references to him too 1894-95 ? ]

The following article  > of April 1896 > refers to James severing his ties with the Club Hotel at Masterton and about to take up a similar position at the Empire Hotel in Wellington.

[Note:   News of the Divorce of Agnes and W.W. FULLBROOK will, around this time, be hitting the newspapers of the NZ !!!   Did James get out of Masterton for that reason ??    The owner of the Club Hotel (Joseph MANDEL) also had an interest in the Empire Hotel in Wellington.  By November 1897,  plans were taking shape for the erection of a new Empire Hotel.  I lose James on electoral rolls about this time - maybe he's moved to another place or has taken on different employment ??    He's found again though by 1911.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WDT18960408.2.7

1896 - Wairarapa - Masterton roll
STEVENSON - James - Masterton - Waiter 

[Two other articles probably Wairarapa newspapers - which I can't easy locate now,  but mention James work colleagues presenting him with a gold locket (parting gift) and ... another where James STEVENSON - Manager of Empire Hotel, Wellington, is giving evidence re: staff members who have pilfered liquor from the premises.  ?? ]

~ Lu                                                                                see next  > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 February 18 09:23 GMT (UK) »
James STEVENSON :

Electoral >

1911 - Wellington roll
STEVENSON - James - Brunswick Hotel - 224 Willis Street - Barman

1914 - Wellington
STEVENSON - James - Albion Hotel, Courtenay Place - Barman

1919 - Wellington Central roll
STEVENSON -  James - Panama Hotel - Barman

[Note:  Having looked at many e/rolls in different areas of NZ for James  STEVENSON / STEPHENSON,  (the butchers. bakers and candlestick makers), I feel pretty sure that this bloke who became a "barman" in Wellington, was the same person who'd left Napier and Masterton in earlier years.   The only "stumbling block" is a rather odd obituary that was published, but I'll get to that later. ]

~  Lu                                                                                    continues  next  > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 03 February 18 09:42 GMT (UK) »
James STEVENSON :

Death Notice
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19270602.2.4

Funeral Notice
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19270603.2.16.5

James STEVENSON (occupation, Barman) died at Wellington on 2 June 1927, aged 74 years - born c. 1853 (which is about the same year as the James STEVENSON who arrived at Napier in 1877.   Both were also born in Ireland.
It may be possible to obtain a little more information for this man (rather than purchasing his death record) as records for the Funeral Directors in question, are still available.   (I can check if you'd like. )

James was buried in the Roman Catholic section of Karori Cemetery at Wellington.   Photo shows headstone but it appears to have just basic information inscribed.
https://wellington.govt.nz/services/community-and-culture/cemeteries/cemeteries-search/details?id=80678&serviceType=Burial&previousPage=%2fservices

~ Lu                                                                    continues  > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 03 February 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
James STEVENSON :

Following is the obituary > well, I'm assuming it's only meant to be for one person - a James STEVENSON ???   

But it starts by speaking of a James STEPHENSON (fair enough, and spelling aside) ... there is the problem of this person having been proprietor / licencee of the Metropolitan Hotel ???   No evidence found of that in Licensing records (in newspapers).  His wife held the licence for that Hotel.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19270603.2.120

And further, it goes on to say that Mr STEVENSON had earlier been at Reefton (South island) ... and he was a supporter of the  St Vincent De Paul Society ... and was a generous  benefactor ... etc.     Problem with this part is that it sounds so very much like a James STEVENSON  -  the owner of Stevenson's Hotel at Reefton - who had died back in 1921.

Just for comparison -  a piece about the Reefton man with the same "handle".  ;)
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/GEST19091217.2.4

Note:   I've seen a good few obituaries,  and a few good obituaries,  in my time ... but there are some real "shockers" as far as 'facts' are concerned.  Treat with caution, everything you read.   Let's just say, Donald Trump would be screaming 'fake news'  (just like I am) !!   I really do think the journo who prepared the piece for James who died in 1927,  got terribly muddled with the other fella from Reefton.   :D
-----
I personally think this James at Wellington (d. 1917) stacks up very well based on what we know already of Agnes's situation.    But you judge for yourself.

But because you have nothing really from Margaret's records which might add up to confirming this man as her birth father, the next best thing you can do is view the Divorce file and hope it provides additional info.    [You'll firstly need to obtain from Archives New Zealand (Wellington office) the file reference for this Divorce as it's not on their website, Archway.    They can sometimes take a while to respond to such requests. ]
https://archway.archives.govt.nz/

Once you have info from the Divorce file ... and depending on what it reveals of course ... you may want to find more about this James (d. 1927) if he is proven to be the correct person.
Would suggest that his marriage record of 1890 ( the "printout" version offers more info than a certificate), would be more useful than his death record (info for marriages is supplied by bride and groom  themselves).  See NZ BDM for details.
https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search/

~   Lu

PS :  A little further to be added here for Rose Ann etc.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 03 February 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Wife of James STEVENSON :

Rose Ann STEVENSON died at her home in Wellington on 20th November 1913 at the age of 74.
(She was some years James' senior.)

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19131121.2.3

She was buried at the Mount Street Roman Catholic Cemetery in Wellington with her first husband, James BEATTY - apparently under the name of Rose Ann Farrelly BEATTY ??
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/91177975/rose_ann_beatty

Two of her  children (named for their parents - daughter Rose Ann and son James) are buried at Karori cemetery.   Neither (I think) married ?   
Whether these children kept in touch with James STEVENSON is unknown - oddly they lived in quite close proximity to some of the places he worked (and he would seem to have also resided at the hotels ?)
Unfortunately no probate files (or Wills) were found for Rose Ann and James STEVENSON.
----

Have probably left out something of importance here (too tired to check at this late hour  ;D ).

~  Lu

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 04 February 18 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Oh boy...

Lucy2. I feel like I'm reading the climax of a mystery novel. This has taken all my attention now. Thank you for putting so much into this! How does one even make connections like these? I'm having to really think this timeline through. So let me write what I understand so far.

Does this timeline sound correct?

1884, Mr Beatty dies shortly after moving his Liquor licence from the Albion Hotel to the Masonic Hotel.
1885, December. Roseann Beatty is widowed, takes over the licence of Masonic Hotel, Wellington.
1886 May, Rose applies for an Extension of the licence
1886 to 1890 -  James makes his move from Napier to Wellington, where he goes from being a Waiter, to a Hotelkeeper.
1890, June 2nd James Stevenson marries Roseann Beatty.
Rose had 3/4 Children of her own. Now aged Sixteen, Fourteen, Eleven and Nine. (Two of them, them James & Rosanne, appear on James' Rose's funeral notice)
Days later Rose Beatty/Stevenson Licence moves her licence to Metropolitan.
James is a hotelkeeper, living on Molesworth Street. (Maybe before or after marriage?)
Agnes travels between Christchurch for work.

April – Not even a year into the marriage, there is possible lawsuit instigated by James against his wife. 
June – The Licence Committee find the licence name under Beatty doesn’t exist and ponder why it hasn’t been transferred yet to the husband of Rose Stevenson. They also decide single women shouldn't hold licenses in the future but doesn’t affect current holders. This may affect a future application in 1892…
July 4th - Agnes appears in Wellington before the courts regarding her husband. They mention she has 4 children. As itʼs the only time itʼs mentioned it could be a mistake with the paper, however since she declares that one baby was deceased itʼs possible this child was alive at the time. She may have been pregnant and had a stillborn this year, which would mean no certificates issued?
July 14th - The case is meant to be examined again with William Fullbrook present in Wellington.
October 19th -  Maintenance set at 30s in favour of Agnes from William, Wellington Court.

January – Mrs Stephenson’s interest in the Metropolitan Hotel is deposed. Perhaps this is Rose reapplying for her application, instead going to an Annie Smith. (This conflicts with the licence body saying Single Women shouldn't hold licences, unless Annie is a married woman)
Feb or March - Margaret H M Fullbrook is conceived.
October 29th – Margaret H M Fullbrook is born.
November 7th – Agnes doesn’t appear in court for her maintenance case. Her husband William asks the court for the custody of his children, though he hadn’t made a formal application. His children would be about thirteen, eleven and seven years of age. I assume he would want baby Margaret to be left with Agnes.

James Stevenson lives at the Royal Oak Hotel as a Waiter
Rose Ann is living in Belfast Street, Wellington City.

August. James has since moved to Masterton, working as Manager of the Club Hotel.

James in living in Masterton as a Waiter, not far from Wellington.
Agnes Living in Hawke’s Bay, gets her divorce papers finalized, it’s here that in the papers she names James Stephenson who is a Waiter in Masterton

April – Announced that James is leaving The Club Hotel to go on to work at The Empire hotel. Perhaps owned by the same owner Joseph Mandell.
Another article on the matter https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP18960408.2.39
James is manager of the Empire Hotel as mentioned in a Newspaper article somewhere else too.

November  – James announces the transfer his Brunswick Hotel Liquor licence to Thomas Butler in for 1908 March.
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZTIM19080129.2.80.4?query=%22James%20stevenson%22%20hotel%20wellington

James lives the Brunswick Hotel, as a Barman. Likely still run by Thomas Butler
Agnes lives in Wellington Central

Rosanne Dies

James lives at the Albion Hotel (Same hotel his wife’s previous husband managed)
Agnes lives in Wellington North, after having come home from a short stint in NSW.

James lives
Agnes lives in Hawke’s Bay. A few years later she visits Australia again in 1921 and 1924

James dies. Is it a good chance that’s him? When he died, the writer could get away with saying James was a proprietor at that Hotel with no repercussions.

So with all these coincidences. I may need to order myself the 1890 marriage cert to see what exactly is going on here. I feel like I'm going to have to reply to this thread several times to keep up.

I’ll write to get the divorce papers and see what I can find. It may be slow process.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 04 February 18 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Dear Seany

Replying to the 1891 part of your timeline.

Agnes and William may have had 4 children together; and as you assert this baby died.  I remember reading though that William said that they had not cohabited since her departure for Christchurch in 1890; and yet she is applying for maintenance in July 1891 for 4 children.  Somewhere else said she was in Christchurch at least 8 months (before going back to Wellington, and then on to Napier where she had Margaret in 1892).

Is there any family surname history of GORMAN?

RCers: What was the time frame in the 1890s for registering a birth? 6 weeks, 3 months, ...?

Twiggy
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM