Author Topic: The Illegitimate child of James Stephenson  (Read 7910 times)

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Illegitimate child of James Stephenson
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 04 February 18 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Twiggy,
That's a very interesting piece of info. I must have missed that part. If she left William by 1890 she might either have had the child also from another affair? But I feel as thought here is still enough room between 1885 and 1890 to fit in a child with William. This mystery child isn't easy to pin down. The NZ BDM isn't as user friendly as the NSW and Vic BDMs are.

I haven't any Gorman's in the family, nor have I come across that name before. What kind of theory are you brewing up?

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 04 February 18 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Seany

I haven't been able to find a birth under Agnes' married name for this mystery babe, but when I read that she was using her maiden name, there was a death that might have fitted.  This though would have been strange given that she'd named Margaret with her married name. 

It just seems that there ought to either be a birth or a death for this one.

Maybe the custody or divorce file might shed the light needed?

Twiggy
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 04 February 18 07:24 GMT (UK) »
I'll have to find these original custody documents. I believe she went under the name Moore when she could but ultimately used Fullbrook in all her documents into the future. It's not very clear what happened with William after that. Apparently he died 16 Nov Tennyson, Napier, New Zealand.

On a side note. I googled the named Gordon John Heath, who seemed to have married Agnes' great granddaughter Merle Mary Fullbrook. Apparently he died in 2011. So I looked up the white pages for Heaths in that area and there weren't many. The first one I rang turned out to be Merle, still alive in her 80's :) Instant way to make a new relative. So that was a nice chat. I can send her photos of Agnes and Agnes Ann now and hopefully she'll send what she has soon.

Fortunately I'd done research on William Wood Fullbrook before I realized he wasn't my relative, so now someone can still benefit. Much of what I learned about Agnes is through this Forum too. So the whole family is benefiting so much. Thanking everyone again!

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 05 February 18 04:50 GMT (UK) »

Does this timeline sound correct?

So with all these coincidences. I may need to order myself the 1890 marriage cert to see what exactly is going on here. I feel like I'm going to have to reply to this thread several times to keep up.

Hi Seany

Just a few parts of "your" timeline I wish to comment on further (- just for clarification).  ;)

Will have a look over it again tomorrow (which is a holiday here in NZ).

Personally, I'd hold back on ordering the 1890 marriage record just now.   Best to view the Divorce record before you spend $$$ on that.   ;)

~  Lu

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 05 February 18 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy, I'll do just that :) I'll hold onto my Money in the meantime. Be glad to hear that timeline. Thank you so much again!

Twiggy, I think you might be interested in this little bit. What do you think about the article at the bottom of this page?

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/HBH18901006.2.7?query=%22Henry%20Harper%20Fullbrook%22

It's about a Henry Harper Fullbrook, in the Hawkes Bay Herald. 6 October 1890. A boy getting into trouble with his friend on Tennyson Street. I had that William Wood Fullbrook passed away in Tennyson, Napier, New Zealand. I don't find many Fullbrooks anywhere. This one is slippery since I can't find any records of him other than this paper. If he's a young boy in 1890, He'd fit perfectly between the other Fullbrook children. And though he isn't a baby, it out account for a 4th child. He may have died young.

I won't know until I see the divorce papers. But just something to think about :)

Three Another Article mentioning him possibly

In 1902
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19021208.2.70?query=%22Harry%20Fullbrook%22

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZTIM19030901.2.31?query=%22H%20Fullbrook%22

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/PBH19070720.2.5?query=%22Harry%20Fullbrook%22

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 05 February 18 19:17 GMT (UK) »
This appears to be the one and only electoral roll entry for a Henry/Harry Harper FULLBROOK:

Harper Henry Fullbrook  1905-1906   Wairarapa   Wellington; Manawatu-Wanganui; Hawke's Bay

which implies he was of full age at least by then. Note the transposition of first names.

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 05 February 18 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Another snippet for a Harry and an Annie FULBROOK, at school, DECEMBER 1891 in Napier, for "highest attendance":

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/HBH18911218.2.16

Food for thought but it doesn't quite fit with what we think we know, does it?

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 05 February 18 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Seem to be right Twiggy,

It was a side note on some of Uncles old research. Never really got to the bottom of Henry's story. It doesn't really match what we know so far. It just seemed that there weren't many mentions of Fullbrooks in the NZ BDM. Only one marriage and one death in all of their online records appear not to be directly related to W W Fullbrook.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 05 February 18 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seany,

There are a few more deaths now

1917/312   Fullbrook    William Wood    71Y   
1944/19555   Fullbrook    Stephen Round    64Y   
1949/27799   Fullbrook    Margaret Hannah    72Y   
1964/27170   Fullbrook    William John    87Y