Author Topic: Great grandparents search  (Read 4212 times)

Online ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great grandparents search
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 February 18 12:12 GMT (UK) »
George Beattie married Margaret Kelly in Edinburgh in 1923.

Beulah Beattie married David Findlay Lawrie in Dunfermline in 1927

Effie Beattie married George Crawford Simpson in Edinburgh in 1930.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 February 18 14:34 GMT (UK) »
  There is a Probate record:
"Ruth Gillespie Beattie of 121 New Row, Dunfermline died 15 July 1934 at Dunfermline.   Testate confirmation Cupar 18 Sept to Beulah Beattie or Laurie, 121 New Row.    Will recorded Cupar 11 Sept 1934     £909 . 7 . 9d"

This is the Ruth who married John William Beattie.

...So there appears to have been two George Beatties in Dunfermline.      I had thought that George Beattie's father was George Beattie but that is another George Beattie who had a father of the same name.      Your George Beattie's father [as I guess you already know] was actually John Wm Beattie.         

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 February 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Tthe Ancestry transcription is appalling
Par for the course then. It looks clear enough to me.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 February 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Struggling to find an obvious death for John William Beattie in either England or Scotland, but it looks like he was born 18 Aug 1875  (baptised 12 Sep 1875) in Simonburn, Northumberland, and was the illegitimate son of Margaret Anne Beattie (later Armstrong), b. 1858, Simonburn, Northumberland; d. 1915, Hexham Northumberland.

In 1881, John William is in Simonburn with his mother and his grandparents, John Beattie and Margaret Herdman; and in 1891 and 1901, he's with his aunt, Martha Beattie and her husband Stephen Moor. He married Ruth Gilhespy in 1902 in Newcastle.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Jennif3r

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 December 18 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I’m Clifford’s grand-daughter, Jennifer.

Clifford unfortunately died on 18th November this year and the funeral will be on Monday 3rd December at Warriston Crematorium. Apologies if no one has been in touch with you or your side of the family about this.

I don’t have any further information to share on your/our great-grandparents but have some of photos which may be of interest, particularly of your Gran, Ruth.

Kind Regards,
Jennifer

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 December 18 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer and a warm welcome to rootschat.
The original poster was last on here early November so hopefully they will get a notification of your post and reply soon.

If not you can make contact with them by our PM system once you have made another couple of posts. Just reply to this one for a start.

Sorry to hear of the passing of your grandfather.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Gavin Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 December 22 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hope you all can see this reply, I live in Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland, I am researching all the headstones in my area. I found your chat while looking for information on Ruth Beattie née Gillespie. I've added a picture of her headstone to Find-a-Grave.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/246137439/ruth-beattie

I am still trying to add information to help her timeline and tell her story. In the 1921 Census she was living in Dunbar with her 2 daughters. I'd be happy to add any more information on the find-a-grave website if you are happy to share.
Wilson's of Fife & the Lothians
Bruce's of Aberdeenshire
Fell's of Lanarkshire
Dewar's of Dundee & Glasgow
Kay's of Glasgow & Leith & East Lothian
Dickson/Blair/Golightly of East Lothian