Author Topic: Corbett and Rogers  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corbett and Rogers
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 02 May 19 19:31 BST (UK) »
On the immigration application form  Thomas Corbett and another Sarah Corbett's names appear.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 03 May 19 10:06 BST (UK) »
I think your right there Thomas must be Sarah's brother but did you notice that the surety is E & R Rogers I'm guessing the 'E' is Edward so does the 'R' stand for Richard and is it his father or brother?

Edward being very elusive in the earlier census but I am still leaning towards Richard and Rebecca being his parents due to them being in the same area as Sarah's family and Richard being a blacksmith

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 03 May 19 10:25 BST (UK) »
marriage 20.5.1860 Sedgley Thomas Corbett father Edward to Mary Frost father John

marriage 1862 Sedgley George Corbett father Edward to Patience Cox father Joseph so that is George on the 1881 census

I can't pin down the second Sarah Corbett - cousin perhaps?

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 03 May 19 11:18 BST (UK) »
The R Rogers that stands surety for Sarah, I think he also stood surety for Edward in 1859 but his name is written out as Robert Rogers

It says Edward was age 36

I am still looking for the imagination application form for Edward. Have the index info but cannot find the accrual record, it seams to be missing in the collection.

Will also look and see if I can find anything for Robert Rogers. Maybe they were related.

I noticed that the second Sarah Corbett did not appear on the passenger list, probably changed her mind.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 03 May 19 11:25 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look for Robert too - maybe an uncle?

looking at the next post downgrade that to a cousin

Willow x

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 03 May 19 13:02 BST (UK) »
Interestingly there is the following on the 1841 census in Tipton (cant read the address it looks like Los Piggy?!?)

Thomas Rogers 30 miner
Ann Rogers 30
George Rogers 15
John Rogers 10
Susannah Rogers 8
Mary Rogers 3
Robert Rogers 1

all born in county

Could this be the same Robert ?

Willow x

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 03 May 19 13:55 BST (UK) »
looking on the GRO index at Simeon/Simon Rogers Rebecca's maiden name was Grosvenor

so here's the marriage

6.3.1825 Kingswinford Richard Rogers to Rebecca Grosvenor

Willow x

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 03 May 19 14:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Willow

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 04 May 19 20:01 BST (UK) »
Willow
Looked at Edward's marriage to his second wife in South Africa  the certificate has his age as 60 in 1887 so that works out to the year 1829 for his birth.

On the passenger list his birth works out to 1823

and his death notice works out to 1823

So which is right?