Author Topic: Help with reading 2 doc please  (Read 1013 times)

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with reading 2 doc please
« on: Friday 02 February 18 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello People -
I'm hoping someone can read these 2 docs -
One is a marriage record, the other a baptism -
Also, can someone advise as to which county I'd be looking for
The docs have come from Scotlands People
Many thanks in advance
(FA) Charmaine

The marriage record is for John EDIE and Margaret MEIKLEJOHN -

At the very top of the Marriage doc is written:
05/05/1716 EDIE, JOHN (Old Parish Registers Marriages 374/ 10 228 Logie) Page 228 of 294 - and the usual copyright details
------------
The baptism record is for Margaret EDIE -

At the very top of the Birth doc is written:
11/11/1722 EDIE, MARGARET (Old Parish Registers Births 374/ 10 116 Logie) Page 116 of 294 - and the usual copyright details

ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with reading 2 doc please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 February 18 02:07 GMT (UK) »
The parish you are looking for is Logie in Stirlingshire, located slightly to the North and East of Stirling, and which includes Dunblane, Bridge of Allan, and Causewayhead.

Istrice

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 February 18 05:38 GMT (UK) »
I think the baptism reads: “Baptised Margaret lawll (ie lawful) daughter to John Edie and Margaret Meiklejohn in______of Aithrey. Witnesses John Burn and Robert Mar______.”

The marriage reads: “ Upon production of a testimonial from Dunblane, John Edie in this parish and Margaret Meiklejohn in ye (the) said Burogh (Burgh) gave their names to be proclaimed in order to marriage and paid in____ five crowns.”

Note that what the parish marriage record contains is the reading of the banns. Often the date of marriage itself was not recorded, and occasionally may not have taken place. When someone came from a different parish they were sometimes required to produce a testimonial as to their character and freedom to marry etc. A crown was 5 shillings or 25p today.
Elwyn

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 February 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
When someone came from a different parish they were sometimes required to produce a testimonial as to their character and freedom to marry etc. A crown was 5 shillings or 25p today.

Although Scotland adopted Sterling in 1707 the old currency continued in use for most of the 1700's especially for some reason I've yet to fathom, in Church Records - £1 Sterling = £12 Scots which would convert 5 crowns to roughly £1.25 Scots or about 10 or 11 pence in total in todays money.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 February 18 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Darkened slightly

Malky

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 February 18 12:11 GMT (UK) »
                    eodem
Baptized Margaret lawll daughter to John Edie
and Margaret MeikleJohn in [          ] of Aithrey wit=
nesses John Burn and Robert Marshall & c

eodem = Latin for "on the same", i.e. the baptism took place on the same day as the previous one
lawll = lawful = legitimate

eodem
Upon production of a testimoniall from Dunblane
John Edie in this paroch & Margaret Meiklejohn in ye
said paroch gave up yr names to be proclaimed in
Order to marriage & laid in pawn two Crowns

paroch = parish
ye = the
yr = their
pawn, usually referred to as "pledges", the deposit paid by bride and groom (here 5/- each). They got this back provided that they married within forty days and there was no "scandal" attached to their marriage.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 February 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I think the second witness is Robert Marsheil i.e. Marshall

Logie is unusual in that it is in three counties. Part is in Stirlingshire, part in Clackmannanshire and part in Perthshire.

Airthrey Castle is north-east of Causewayhead. It is on the campus of the University of Stirling. See
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS8196. Hill of Airthrey is north of Bridge of Allan. See http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=56.1567&lon=-3.9333&layers=5&b=1

The place looks like ....hills of Airthrey but I have not found it on the OS map.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.