Author Topic: Christening of Thomas Rogers  (Read 6174 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Christening of Thomas Rogers
« on: Friday 02 February 18 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My ancestor Thomas Rogers married Elizabeth Farly in Ashford in 1713, she was born in Ashford in 1688 and I believe Thomas was born around the same time.

A number of trees online show that Thomas was born in Eastwell to Thomas and Prudence Rogers and christened on 5 December 1680. However there is also a burial on Familysearch and Findmypast for "Thomas Rogers son of Thomas Rogers" in Eastwell dated 20 July 1683.

This leads me to suspect that the online trees are wrong and that the Thomas Rogers christened in Eastwell isn't mine.

The only other candidate I've found is a Thomas Rogers christened in Kennington in March 1692/3 son of Thomas Rogers.

Could this Thomas [the father] be the same one who was married to Prudence and who had a son named Thomas born in Eastwell? Or is this a different family?

Is there any sign of a marriage for the Thomas in Kennington pre 1693 or any other Rogers children born in Kennington to Thomas between 1690 and 1700?

Many thanks for any ideas or help

Matt

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christening of Thomas Rogers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 February 18 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Rogers  m  Prudence White, 24 Jan 1675/76, St Mary the Virgin, Ashford.   By License.

Tho. Rogers. baptised 5 Dec 1680, Eastwell, Kent. father Thomas Rogers,  mother Prudence.

Eastwell is 3 miles from Ashford.

Not sure about the death in 1683, could be the same Thomas.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 February 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if this is any help at all but when your Thomas married Elizabeth in 1713 his residence was Sheldwich (from the marriage record)  which is a bit further north, and I can see a baptism in Throwley which is just under two miles from Sheldwich

Thomas Rogers bapt. 9 Jan 1681 son of Peter and Elizabeth.

I think this couple also had a son Joseph in 1671, who I think is  baptising children in Sheldwich c1705.

I think Peter the father was an innholder and possibly died in Badlesmere ( a mile or so from Sheldwich) in 1696, I can see a Will for him .

There are however numerous Thomas Rogers baptisms between 1680-1700

Claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 February 18 01:59 GMT (UK) »
The Eastwell Rogers: 

The father Thomas was almost certainly dead by 1701. There are five records/transcripts for a marriage of a Prudence Rogers in Eastwell on the 25 Sep 1701 to a William Saddleton. One describes her as Mrs. Rogers.

EDIT: Just found a burial for a Thomas Rogers 13 June 1696 in Kennington and again for the 28 June 1696 Kennington a Thomas Rogers "buried in wool".

Wonder if they are father and son or an error with transcripts.

Claire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 February 18 00:26 GMT (UK) »
The Eastwell Rogers: 

The father Thomas was almost certainly dead by 1701. There are five records/transcripts for a marriage of a Prudence Rogers in Eastwell on the 25 Sep 1701 to a William Saddleton. One describes her as Mrs. Rogers.

EDIT: Just found a burial for a Thomas Rogers 13 June 1696 in Kennington and again for the 28 June 1696 Kennington a Thomas Rogers "buried in wool".

Wonder if they are father and son or an error with transcripts.

Claire

Hi Claire

Wow you've been busy. Many thanks.

So based on what you've seen so far do you think that the Thomas christened in Throwley in 1681 is more likely to be mine that the one in either Eastwell or Kennington?

Is it possible that Thomas was simply staying in Sheldwich at the time of his marriage?

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 February 18 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

When  you visit the library next and see how many Thomas Rogers are actually baptised in Kent 1680-1700 it's very difficult to say who he was. Joseph Rogers is the only Rogers in Sheldwich c1705, but I have just found a Thomas Roger marrying there in 1715 - so that looks like my theory could be out of the window ::)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 February 18 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

When  you visit the library next and see how many Thomas Rogers are actually baptised in Kent 1680-1700 it's very difficult to say who he was. Joseph Rogers is the only Rogers in Sheldwich c1705, but I have just found a Thomas Roger marrying there in 1715 - so that looks like my theory could be out of the window ::)

Hi Claire

Thanks for that. I'll check the library either tomorrow or mid next week.

I quick look on familysearch has just revealed 387 Thomas Rogers christened in Kent between 1679 and 1701. However I think a lot of these may be duplicate entries.

It looks like Peter and Elizabeth had more than one son called Thomas. So far I've found the following:

12 Jan 1678 - Burial for "Thomas Rogers son of Peter and Elizabeth"

1 June 1678 - Christening for "Thomas Rogers son of Peter and Elizabeth"

9 January 1681 - Christening for "Thomas Rogers son of Peter and Elizabeth"

The third one is obviously more like to be mine if this is the right lot.

It looks like Peter and Elizabeth also had the following children [all christened in Throwley]

Elizabeth - christened 28 Sept 1673
William - christened 14 Aug 1676 buried 12 Jan 1678
Mary - christened 23 Feb 1683

The only Joseph I found born to Peter and Elizabeth was in Molash. Is that the one you were referring to?

Where did you see Peter Roger's Will? I can't find a reference for it and think it would be useful to check it out.

Obviously the problem here would be solved if one of the junior Thomas Rogers died, or if any of their parents left a will which could provide clues.

The Throwley option looks slightly more likely at the moment based on its proximity to Sheldwich and the fact that it looks like the other Thomas may have died. Again the answers might lay in looking at Wills.

I'll do some more digging and let you know what I come up with.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 February 18 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

It is interesting that Thomas and Elizabeth ( nee Farley) name their first son Joseph too.

I do feel this family are worth looking into. Given the proximity of Sheldwich, Throwley and Molash where I did find Joseph's baptism.

The father Peter Rogers was buried in Leaveland 1696 - two miles from Sheldwich as was Joseph in 1729.

There are mentions of them both in F M P's Kents Will and Probate Index.

Peter ROGER ( buried as Rogers) Innholder of Badlesmere
COURT: Kent Archdeaconry Court
ARCHIVE REF: PRC/11/59/40
Documents: inventory bundle

Joseph Rogers of Sheldwich, bricklayer
COURT: Kent Archdeaconry Court
ARCHIVE REF: PRC/11/79/68
Documents: loose inventories 

There is also possibly something for the mother Elizabeth in 1712

Elizabeth Rogers of Leaveland no occupation
COURT: Canterbury Consistory Court
ARCHIVE REF: PRC/27/39/88
DOCUMENTS: loose inventories

MARRIAGE

Peter Rogers of Molash and Elizabeth Dourne of Molash married 30 January 1671 Preston next Faversham. Another transcription of the marriage gives the date 1 Feb 1770 - brides surname Dornboth ( I can see a baptism of an Elizabeth Dean in Jan. 1653 Molash).

Claire

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 February 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

I too have Rogers ancestors born around Ashford.

Mine is George Rogers b about 1809 ,every census says born Ashford and his age is pretty consistent.
He married in Paddington London in 1834 to a Sarah Jenner/Genner.
I have never found a baptism for him and wondered if this is the same family that you are researching?
His sons were John,George,Thomas and James .

So possibly any of those names could have been his father's name. :)

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk