Author Topic: Christening of Thomas Rogers  (Read 6173 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Christening of Thomas Rogers
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I'm well, hope you are too  :)

Glad you've made some progress with the Dourns, I look forward to hearing from you.

Claire

Quick update here.

I think I have possibly made a breakthrough with the Dourns/Dorns and also the Rogers/Rodgers - possibly taking both lines back aother generation. I'm putting a basic tree for each family together at the moment and will sned you copies to look at.

At the moment I am working on the following theory:

Peter Rogers [who married Elizabeth Dourne] was probably born in the late 1640s or mid 1650s [they married in 1671] - possibly earlier.

I think Peter may have been the son of Thomas Rogers who was born in Leaveland in 1631 [the son of Thomas and Judith Cheeseman].

It looks like this Thomas (Thomas snr who married Judith) was born in Leaveland in 1604 and was the son of Robert Rogers. Robert also had two other children:

Anne - born April 1602 Leaveland
Peter - born Oct 1606 Leaveland.

With regards to Judith Cheeseman I think I have found a possible christening for her:

"Judith Cheeseman - 19 Oct 1606 Throwley"

There are a lot of Chees[e]man/Cheez[e]man christenings between 1590 and 1619 - only on one of them is a father named but given how close the christenings are I suspect they are siblings.

Walter Cheesman - chr 5 Mar 1596 Throwley, Kent
Avrys Cheesman - chr 7 Mar 1598 Throwley, Kent
William Cheesman - chr 9 Nov 1600 Throwley, Kent
Arthur Cheesman - chr 9 Jan 1602 Throwley, Kent
Mary Cheeseman - chr 22 Feb 1604 Throwley, Kent
Judith Cheeseman - chr 19 Oct 1606 Throwley, Kent
Robert Cheeseman - chr 18 Oct 1607 Throwley, Kent
Robert Cheeseman - chr 7 Apr 1611 Throwley, Kent - son of John Cheeseman
Thomason Cheeseman - chr 24 Feb 1616 Throwley, Kent
Abraham Cheeseman - chr 30 Jan 1619 Throwley, Kent

As you can see only the Robert christened in 1611 has a father named, however I think these could all be siblings. There is a Will for John Cheeseman in the Archdeaconry of Canterbury dated 1616 which might help shed some more light on this.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I'm well, hope you are too  :)

Glad you've made some progress with the Dourns, I look forward to hearing from you.

Claire

Hi Claire

Second update here.

I haven't been able to work out if they are related to the Dourns in Throwley yet, but there are a set of christenings in Sellining:

Matthew Dourne - March 1601/02
Thomas Dourne - March 1601/02
John Dourne - April 1604
Elizabeth Dourne - January 1604/05
Thomas Dourne - September 1608
Marie Dorne - July 1612
Dennis Dourne [female] - January 1613/14

These are all described as the children of Henry Dourne. He may have been married twice (first to a woman named Dorothy [buried in 1610] and then to a woman named Dennis [buried 1617]) however this is only a theory based on the fact that I have found burials for two women described as "the wife of Henry".

It's possible that the Thomas born in 1608 here might be the one who married Dorothy Wyall, and therefore could in turn be the father of Elizabeth Dourne who was born in Stalisfield in 1639. Of course the Thomas who was born in Throwley in 1607 could still be the one who married Dorothy and could still be the father of Elizabeth and her siblings.

I have also found a marriage in 1640 for a Robert Merser, of Stalisfield, to Grace Wells of Hothfield. The marriage took place by licence and he was described as a widower. Interestingly the bondsman was one "William Doorne of Throwley" and it is possible that this is the William who was married to Godley Mercer. If that is the case then it is possible that Godley and Robert were siblings.

Anyhow I will stop there and give you time to digest all this. I have a few Wills to look at but hope to have an update next week.

Matt

Offline nogbat1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 11 October 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire and Matt,
                            I too am descended from my namesake Peter Rogers through Peter and Elizabeth's son Joseph. I think Peter was probably the son of Thomas and Judith nee Cheeseman born during the 1640's at Leaveland during the Civil war period when unfortunately the registers weren't kept.

I  believe that Peter was an Innkeeper at The Falcon, Leaveland opposite Badlesmere Lees.

There are lots of entries for him in Throwley's Churchwardens and Overseers accounts during the 1670's and 80's including mention of his servant so he must have been well off for the time.

Peter's wealth may have come through the Dourne family. Elizabeth must have been educated to some extent signing peter's inventory "Elizabeth Rogeares" in 1696. I agree that she was probably Joseph Dourne's niece but as you have found there were a few Dourne families in the area.
        I did find a Joseph Dourne of Molash and a Thomas Rogers of Biddenden  together in the calendar of assize records 1677 when they were part of a trial jury but I have doubts regarding this being our Thomas.

I also have a tree that was sent to me some years ago from someone descending from your Thomas Rogers and Elizabeth Farly.

I'm happy to share any of what I have, hopefully it will be of interest.

Pete Rogers   

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 11 October 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,

I’m sure Matt is going to be thrilled to read your post. Brilliant information about Peter Rogers.

And welcome to RootsChat  :)

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 12 October 18 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire and Matt,
                            I too am descended from my namesake Peter Rogers through Peter and Elizabeth's son Joseph. I think Peter was probably the son of Thomas and Judith nee Cheeseman born during the 1640's at Leaveland during the Civil war period when unfortunately the registers weren't kept.

I  believe that Peter was an Innkeeper at The Falcon, Leaveland opposite Badlesmere Lees.

There are lots of entries for him in Throwley's Churchwardens and Overseers accounts during the 1670's and 80's including mention of his servant so he must have been well off for the time.

Peter's wealth may have come through the Dourne family. Elizabeth must have been educated to some extent signing peter's inventory "Elizabeth Rogeares" in 1696. I agree that she was probably Joseph Dourne's niece but as you have found there were a few Dourne families in the area.
        I did find a Joseph Dourne of Molash and a Thomas Rogers of Biddenden  together in the calendar of assize records 1677 when they were part of a trial jury but I have doubts regarding this being our Thomas.

I also have a tree that was sent to me some years ago from someone descending from your Thomas Rogers and Elizabeth Farly.

I'm happy to share any of what I have, hopefully it will be of interest.

Pete Rogers   

Hi cousin Pete

I haven't looked at the Rogers/Rodgers or the Dourns for a while as I have been trying to sort out some other lines but a lot of what you say sounds familiar and fits with my own findings and theories.

I have a copy of Elizabeth Rogers' 1712 Inventory but I haven't seen Peter's. Are you able to send me a copy of that?

I will end there as it's late but I will definitely be interested in any info you can share and seeing that tree would be great [I do have a Rogers tree but at the moment it's in 3 parts as I am not completely sure how it links up - this tree might help!].

If you'd like to see my Ro[d]gers Family Tree, send me your email in a PM and I will send it to you.

In the meantime I look forward to hearing from you, and as Claire said - welcome to Rootschat!

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 05 March 20 22:08 GMT (UK) »
It's been a while since I posted anything on here regarding  the Rogers family but I've now realised that part of my previous theory about this family may be wrong. The key piece of info comes from the 1686 will of Joseph Dourne which I have previously posted.

In his will Joseph Dourne makes the following statement:

"I give and bequeath unto Peter Rogers sonn of Thomas Rogers of Throwley the sum of twenty pounds of lawful money which I promised him upon his marriage to Elizabeth Dourne my kinswoman."

This establishes that Peter Rogers, who married Elizabeth Dourne, was the son of a Thomas Rogers

Peter and Elizabeth married in 1671 so he was probably born sometime between the 1630s and 1650s. The question is when and where.

There is a Thomas Rogers (son of Thomas Rogers and Judith Cheeseman who married in 1629) who was christened in Leaveland in 1631 and but no sign of a Peter. It's possible that this Thomas is possibly the father of Peter but given I can't find a christening for Peter it's unsure.

There is a Peter christened in Leaveland in 1606 whose brother Thomas [christened 1604] is most likely the Thomas Rogers who married Judith Cheeseman. This Peter would most likely be too old to be the man who married Elizabeth Dourne in 1670 and who was having children in the 1670s and 1680s.

So it seems, either Peter was the son of Thomas who was born in 1631 (the son of Thomas and Judith) or he was his brother.

Without knowing when Peter was christened it's hard to put these two parts of the tree together.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Matt

Offline nogbat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 08 March 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,
             I think it's highly likely that Peter was the son of Thomas Rogers and Judith Cheeseman, they had 4 children baptised at Leaveland between 1631 and 1641, there is unfortunately a gap in Leaveland's baptism register between 1644 and 1666 so he was probably born shortly after but not before 1644.
            Thomas probably had a brother called Peter (1606-1625) so it would make sense for him to have been named after his Uncle who had died aged 19.
             I believe that Judith re-married Benjamin Amyes at Molash in 1659 and she was buried as Judith Ames, "an ancient poor widow" at Throwley in 1678.
             Joseph Doorne served on 2 trial jurys in 1677 with a Thomas Rogers who was from Biddenden, also a Jonathan Rogers of Biddenden witnessed Josephs will in which our Peter and his father Thomas are named so I thought our Thomas might have come from there. The Biddenden Rogers's were quite well to do  and I ordered wills/inventories to do with this family but there is no mention of our Peter.
             That's pretty much where I'm at, could do with one of my Ancestry dna matches being a Cheeseman or Leavelands missing register entries  turning up !!.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 08 March 20 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,
             I think it's highly likely that Peter was the son of Thomas Rogers and Judith Cheeseman, they had 4 children baptised at Leaveland between 1631 and 1641, there is unfortunately a gap in Leaveland's baptism register between 1644 and 1666 so he was probably born shortly after but not before 1644.
            Thomas probably had a brother called Peter (1606-1625) so it would make sense for him to have been named after his Uncle who had died aged 19.
             I believe that Judith re-married Benjamin Amyes at Molash in 1659 and she was buried as Judith Ames, "an ancient poor widow" at Throwley in 1678.
             Joseph Doorne served on 2 trial jurys in 1677 with a Thomas Rogers who was from Biddenden, also a Jonathan Rogers of Biddenden witnessed Josephs will in which our Peter and his father Thomas are named so I thought our Thomas might have come from there. The Biddenden Rogers's were quite well to do  and I ordered wills/inventories to do with this family but there is no mention of our Peter.
             That's pretty much where I'm at, could do with one of my Ancestry dna matches being a Cheeseman or Leavelands missing register entries  turning up !!.

Hi there

I think you must be right about Peter being the son of Thomas and Judith and about being born sometime around 1644.

Judith Cheeseman was christened in Throwley, the daughter of Josias Cheeseman. I have a copy of his will which gives a few more details.

As for the Rogers I think they may have come from either Wye or Chilham. Leaveland is roughly 3 miles from Chilham and Wye is about 5 miles from Leaveland. Both Peter (christened 1606) and Thomas (christened 1604) are described as son of Robert Rogers.

There is a Robert Rogers son of John christened in Chilham in April 1573, who probably died as there is another one christened in April 1575. Then there is also a Robert Rogers son of Thomas christened in Wye in 1577. Either could be the one who moved to Leaveland.

It makes sense for Peter Rogers who married Elizabeth Dourne to have been married sometime between 1640 and 1650 given that his first child was christened in 1671.

There's definitely a link. I'll see if there's anything else I can find.

Matt

Offline nogbat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 09 March 20 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,
            I have a lot of information on Peter who married Elizabeth Dourne at Preston by Faversham in 1670. He features  in Throwleys Churchwarden and Overseer accounts and I believe kept the Falcon Inn at Badlesmere.
            I didn't know that Judiths father was Josias although I had noted him as a possible along with a couple of others. I would be interested to see a copy of his will if it mentions Judith.

I too have come to the conclusion that Robert was likely born at Chilham or Wye. As we know Robert married Frances Hills at Badlesmere in 1598 and they  had children bapt at Leaveland between 1602-06 . This might interest you :

Deposition of Robert Rogers re. will of his brother in law John Hills 1602, "Robert Rogers of Godmersham, Carpenter, where he has made his home for 5 years or thereabouts, born in Chilham aged 27" etc, etc.  Robert Rogers signs.

Frances Rogers buried at Wye 1621

Marriage licence 1622 Robert Rogers of Wye aged abt.49 wid and Phillis Dence aged about 40 dau of John Dence, Gent, at Godmersham. Robert Rogers signs.

Robert Rogers buried at Wye 1644

It's almost as though these Robert's are one person, was he bapt twice at Chilham then Wye ? But who was the Robert buried at Leaveland in 1608.

I think it most likely that our Robert was the Chilham one who died in 1608 as we know for certain that he was married to a "Hills", though the above is quite confusing, what do you think!.

I have copies of the deposition and licence let me know if you would like them scanning.
                                                                         Regards,
                                                                                Pete.