Author Topic: Christening of Thomas Rogers  (Read 6187 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Christening of Thomas Rogers
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 February 18 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

It is interesting that Thomas and Elizabeth ( nee Farley) name their first son Joseph too.

I do feel this family are worth looking into. Given the proximity of Sheldwich, Throwley and Molash where I did find Joseph's baptism.

The father Peter Rogers was buried in Leaveland 1696 - two miles from Sheldwich as was Joseph in 1729.

There are mentions of them both in F M P's Kents Will and Probate Index.

Peter ROGER ( buried as Rogers) Innholder of Badlesmere
COURT: Kent Archdeaconry Court
ARCHIVE REF: PRC/11/59/40
Documents: inventory bundle

Joseph Rogers of Sheldwich, bricklayer
ARCHIVE REF: PRC/11/79/68
Documents: loose inventories 

There is also possibly something for the mother Elizabeth in 1712

Elizabeth Rogers of Leaveland no occupation
COURT: Canterbury Consistory Court
ARCHIVE REF: PRC/27/39/88
DOCUMENTS: loose inventories

MARRIAGE

Peter Rogers of Molash and Elizabeth Dourne of Molash married 30 January 1671 Preston next Faversham. Another transcription of the marriage gives the date 1 Feb 1770 - brides surname Dornboth ( I can see a baptism of an Elizabeth Dean in Jan. 1653 Molash).

Claire

Hi Claire

I think we may be on to something here. I am pretty sure the name "Dourne" [or possibly Dorne] crops up in one marriage licences I have looked at for the Rogers. I think the name also appears in a Will I've looked at but I'll have to double check.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 February 18 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

I too have Rogers ancestors born around Ashford.

Mine is George Rogers b about 1809 ,every census says born Ashford and his age is pretty consistent.
He married in Paddington London in 1834 to a Sarah Jenner/Genner.
I have never found a baptism for him and wondered if this is the same family that you are researching?
His sons were John,George,Thomas and James .

So possibly any of those names could have been his father's name. :)

Regards

Carol

Hi Carol

My Rogers are about 100 years earlier in Ashford so at the moment I can't see a link with the family you are researching. Obviously there might be a link further back though.

Matt

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 February 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Okay Matt,thanks for that.

You never know but our paths may cross again in years to come  :)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 February 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

It is interesting that Thomas and Elizabeth ( nee Farley) name their first son Joseph too.

I do feel this family are worth looking into. Given the proximity of Sheldwich, Throwley and Molash where I did find Joseph's baptism.

The father Peter Rogers was buried in Leaveland 1696 - two miles from Sheldwich as was Joseph in 1729.

MARRIAGE

Peter Rogers of Molash and Elizabeth Dourne of Molash married 30 January 1671 Preston next Faversham. Another transcription of the marriage gives the date 1 Feb 1770 - brides surname Dornboth ( I can see a baptism of an Elizabeth Dean in Jan. 1653 Molash).

Claire

Hi Claire

I've just found a reference to a Will for Joseph Dourne of Molash dated 1686. Might give me some more clues so I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 February 18 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I checked Joseph on the index on F M P and it says he was a Victualler. Given Peter Rogers was an innholder there possibly was a connection.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 February 18 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I checked Joseph on the index on F M P and it says he was a Victualler. Given Peter Rogers was an innholder there possibly was a connection.

Claire

Hi Claire

There could definitely could be a connection here. I plan to check the Wills next week but if you find anything else out or have any ideas it would be great to hear them.

Thanks again for the help

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 February 18 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire

It's looking more and more likely that the Thomas Rogers who was born in Throwley could be mine.

I was at the library today and had a look to see how many christenings there were for "Thomas Rogers" in Kent between 1680 and 1700. There were 47 results but a number of the entries seemed to refer to the same person. I expanded the search a few years and looked between 1675 and 1715 and this gave 75 results.

It looks like the Thomas Rogers who was born in Eastwell in 1680 to Thomas and Prudence Rogers died in 1683. There is a burial for a Thomas Rogers in that year and he is described as the son of Thomas. Also it looks like Thomas and Prudence had another son called Thomas before this who probably also died.

That leaves two possible candidates, the Thomas Rogers born to Peter and Elizabeth and Throwley, and also a Thomas Rogers (son of Thomas) born in Kennington in 1692.

Given the proximity of Throwley, Molash, Leaveland, and Sheldwich to each other I am inclined to think that the Thomas Rogers of Throwley could be mine.

It's a shame I can't find any Wills for any of these people as they usually help establish who is who.

Anyhow I plan to visit the National Archives on Thursday so I might find out more details then.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 February 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

MARRIAGE

Claire

Hi Claire

Where did you find the christening for "Elizabeth Dean" in Molash? I can't find any reference to it on Familysearch myself.

I have found a christening for an Elizabeth Dorne in Stalisfield in 1639 and wonder if she could be related. She is the daughter of Thomas and Dorothy Dorne.

There's a Will for a Joseph Dorne in Molash in 1686 and I will check that on Thursday to see if that gives any clues. Could Joseph Rogers have been named after him?

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 February 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

I have found a baptism for an Elizabeth Dourne 1645 at Challock too- which again is only a mile from Molash, daughter of a William, I think. Will check with what I found and write it up. I think I found a baptism in Molash c1620 of a Joseph Dourne, will get back to you on that

EDIT: Hadn't realised how near Stalisfield is to the other places.

There was also two burials in Kennington 1696 within 15 days of each other for Thomas Rogers - father and son perhaps, which possibly rules them out.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk