Author Topic: Renseller and Mahlon Irish Mystery - Sons of Peter UEL?  (Read 826 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Renseller and Mahlon Irish Mystery - Sons of Peter UEL?
« on: Friday 02 February 18 04:50 GMT (UK) »
In 1834 Ranseller (Renselear) Irish and Mahlon (Maylon) Irish of Kingston, Upper Canada petitioned for land in Upper Canada. They stated they were sons of Peter Irish UEL and claimed 200 acres apiece as Sons of a United Empire Loyalist. Their Petitions were granted.

Mary Corey Irish, Peter's wife is stated to have been born about 1747 and married at about 18 years in 1765 in the U S.

Peter Irish a Loyalist, formerly of Danby Vermont and born in Dutchess County New York petitioned for land in Upper Canada 1797. He stated he had been in the province of Upper Canada upwards of seven years and provided a list of his unmarried children who were born before 1789. The youngest being Jediah born in 1785. There is no mention of Ranseller or Mahlon so they must have been born after 1789 but before approx 1795 when Mary Corey Irish would be about 48 years old.

Mary is supposed to have died by 1810 and Peter Irish wrote his will in 1810 and died about 1813 at the age of about 70 years. There does not seem to have been another wife.

Does anyone have information on Ranseller or Mahlon?  I have not seen Peter's Will but from information on the internet I understand Ranseller and Mahlon are not mentioned in his Will.

The only Mahlon Irish I have found was a great great grandson of Peter Irish born in Canada in 1859. He was the son of Finley, grandson of Daniel, great grand son of Abraham and great-great grandson of Peter UEL.

Ranseller and Mahlon just seen to disappear after their claims were granted. Did they go to the US?
Or were these fraudulent claims?

Venelow
Canada

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Renseller and Mahlon Irish Mystery - Sons of Peter UEL?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 February 18 23:07 GMT (UK) »
UEL would appear to stand for United Empire Loyalist - an honorific, not a name. But perhaps I have misunderstood your post.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 February 18 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Shaun,

Peter Irish was granted the honorific UEL, United Empire Loyalist, in 1798, given to those who remained Loyal to the Crown during the American Revolution.  He was a Quaker and opposed to taking up arms however he did assist the British during the war by hiding British soldiers, and giving them guidance through the woods to the British lines  etc.

Those who remained Loyal to the British Crown and who were forced to flee to the British Colonies in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and the Canadas during and after the War of Independence (or American Revolution) were rewarded with a grant of land and the honorific UEL. When their children came of age, or, in the case of daughters, came of age or were married, were also entitled to receive a grant of land.

Since my first post I have received confirmation of Peter Irish's Will from an archives I have been corresponding with.
He does not mention Ranseller or Mahlon as his children.  Peter died about 1813. His wife Mary died before he wrote his Will in 1810.

And yet, in 1834 Ranseller Irish  and Mahlon Irish consecutively petitioned for land as sons of Peter Irish UEL. They were sworn as sons of Peter Irish and also swore allegiance to the Crown. But I have found no trace of Ranseller or Mahlon found after their land grant in 1834.

That is why I am asking if anyone has information on Ranseller or Mahlon. Otherwise I have to conclude that their Petitions as sons of Peter Irish were fraudulent.

Venelow
Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 February 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Looking at the land petitions list from the Library and Archives Canada.... I wonder if there might be 2 men named Peter Irish?? 

I can see that the first two on this list are the same man (Ernestown and York).   The location of the land in question is in the Ernestown area.  What about the petitions for Haldimand?  Is this also your Peter Irish, or could it be another??  Where did your Peter die?

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/land/land-petitions-upper-canada-1763-1865/Pages/List.aspx?Surname=irish&GivenName=peter&

RK

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 February 18 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi RK

There is only one Peter Irish (b.New York 1743) who came to Upper Canada with his family after the American Revolution. During the Revolution he lived in Vermont. He was first in Ernestown and then moved to Haldimand Twp about 1802. He died about 1813 in Cramahe Twp. (Haldimand and Cramahe are now in Northumberland County.

His petition #19 marked Ernestown was undated but should really be dated 1797 as it was received on Nov 9th 1797. Petition # 21 is marked York only because it was written at York on April 25th 1798. Peter obviously decided to go to York in person to press his case. Both petitions were read the same day - April 25th 1798. He was granted land and put on the UE List.

Peter Irish had a son called Peter but he is presumed to have died young in Vermont. There were two Peter Irishes who were grandsons of Peter UEL. The son of John born about 1801. He lived in Haldimand Twp. Northumberland. The other was the son of Abraham born in Ernestown about 1806.  These two Peters often get muddled up by researchers.

Venelow
Ontario