Author Topic: RE: Joseph Hedley - Joe the Quilter  (Read 3358 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: RE: Joseph Hedley - Joe the Quilter
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 February 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
1773 Marriage is on FreeREG Bachelor/Spinster
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 February 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Regarding this entry: Joseph Hedley  m  Isabel Thompson.  15 Jul 1773, St Peter, Falstone.

Where did it come from? I searched the Parish Register today and there is a marriage gap between 1750 and 1778. I looked at the film and the original just in case. T

Don't know where solidrock got the details from, but as Trish says its on FreeReg and the image is also in the online BTS (which was the source for the FreeReg entry)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01llp/

Boo

Offline RNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 February 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trish and Tickettyboo - I have downloaded that image.

I am almost certain this is the Isabel Thompson born in 1725 in Falstone. This would make her about the right age when she died, 92 against the reported 96. It would also make the age difference about right for a woman of 48 marrying someone born in c1750, giving the age difference of 25, which again is in accord with the death information I have - the difference instead of the reported 28 years for a 96 yo woman now becomes 25.

So far so good. But the marriage listing doesn't have ages or locations. Does that mean they both came from Falstone Parish i.e. is that an acceptable inference? However, I could not find a Joseph Hedley born in Falstone, or any listing for either him or Isabel Thompson having a child before they married each other - I assume she was too old to have a child after 1773. Can anyone help with that please?
Hedley, Herdman

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 February 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Please excuse me for digressing but did you know Beamish Museum are currently interested in Joe the Quilter because they are going to reconstruct his cottage? Perhaps you are Beamish Museum ;D

Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline RNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 February 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Harlem,

Thanks, but I can assure you I am not Beamish or connected in any way, but I am aware of their rebuilding the Quilter cottage. I am an independent scholar researching the murder as a potential book-length project. If you want bona fides, you can check my previous book on a similar scenario, but very different case and background, An Evil Day in Georgia - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evil-Day-Georgia-Killing-Progressive-Era/dp/1621900940/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518971500&sr=8-1&keywords=An+Evil+Day+in+Georgia&dpID=41EAotuzAbL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch
Hedley, Herdman

Offline RNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 February 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking more closely at this Joseph Hedley and wondered if anyone has any information on him:  Joseph Hedley (Shoemaker) Hexham, father of a Joseph Hedley who died in 1805.
Thanks,
RNS
Hedley, Herdman

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 February 18 06:07 GMT (UK) »
I see that burial on Anc for Joseph 1805, Son of Joseph, age 9.

FreeREG has 2 Marriages St Andrew, Hexham;
Joseph HEDLEY to Catherine YOUNGER 11 Oct 1789
Joseph HEDLEY to Mary LEADBITTER 05 Dec 1794

Only Baptism I can find possibly from 1789 Marriage;
WILLIAM 5 December 1790   Hexham Father JOSEPH 
(F/S.Org)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline RNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 February 18 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish thanks for this.

I am curious about that age ref for the burial in 1805. If correct then I think this is a dead end for this line of inquiry - I'm not doubting your finding, I just need corroboration or to see the actual document.

The two marriages are I believe the same Joseph Hedley with Catherine Younger dying and him remarrying Mary Leadbitter. For some reason, I thought it was him that died in 1805.

I'm not sure about the baptism but the one you found makes sense.
Hedley, Herdman

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Hedley baptised Kirkhale 1754
father Joseph,you need to check this baptism out,I don't have access to find my past sorry
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,