Author Topic: Kirkham area - "Threlfall" was ... where?  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkham area - "Threlfall" was ... where?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 February 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
As there seems to have been a chapel at Whitechapel early 18thC might baptisms have been performed there and recorded in register of St. Michael, Kirkham?
Cowban

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 February 18 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, St Michael's records of Threlfalls are rather good, and have been quite helpful to me in the past. Just trying to pinpoint exactly where the settlement was... You know how it is when something starts nagging at you, you want to try and settle it. Thanks, Maiden Stone.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 February 18 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Just a reminder that a place name, when used for a surname, would only have been applied when someone had moved AWAY from that place. It would be no use referring to "John Threlfall" close to Threlfall itself, as there were probably half a dozen Johns living there.

The rare exceptions are those places which were named after the people who owned them.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 February 18 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, of course one is aware of that, thank you, andrewalston, otherwise they usually wouldn't have used the name of where they lived as a surname to differentiate that "John" from all the other Johns - I'm simply trying to pinpoint exactly WHERE the original settlement of "Threlfall" was! It's niggled me for many years, even before I started doing "serious" family history research, decades back, where it could have been.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)