Author Topic: Clarence Mekal Olsen  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Rosalea Webby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clarence Mekal Olsen
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 February 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Mekal Norman Olsen is my great-grandfather. The geni tree linked to earlier is mine but it's a work in progress, not meant to be gospel! I had the date for M.Herman Olsen incorrect but only there for a few days before I realised my mistake (2am and my brain mistaking insolvency for intestacie).
I am also incredibly stuck on Mekal Herman Olsen, can't find a death or burial anywhere. Just the rumour that he was Norwegian.
Mekal Norman, Deas, and Daphne are all buried alongside one another in Aramoho Cemetery in Whanganui.

Read reply#2 please.

More information available on NAA and you have the option to purchase an historical image of his marriage certificate [AUD$21.40] online from Qld BDM which should show his age, place of birth, occupation, parents' names including mother's maiden name.
https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/BirIndexQry.m

Cando

Yes, I definitely would though I think my kids would get upset at not being fed   ;D
It's on my list of things to order when I am rich enough to have a credit card  ;)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 11 February 18 12:35 GMT (UK) »
You stated your were incredibly stuck and I gave you a suggestion about which solvent to use.

We all have to live within our means.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosalea Webby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 11 February 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I was mostly just agreeing with the OP about knowing nothing about him.

Offline Rosalea Webby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 February 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you haven't seen this already OP. http://cemeterybase.hdc.govt.nz/Details.aspx?id=C22618

Offline Rosalea Webby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 January 20 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Have just been revisiting this brick wall. Have confirmed the Michael Herman Olsen born in Norway is my ancestor via ancestryDNA, seems many distant cousins still live in Egersund. However, no joy finding his death or burial.

Offline palmer3927

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 04:02 GMT (UK) »
 I have seen posts elsewhere where it is claimed that Mikel Herman Olsen drowned at sea. There is no date given or even a year. There is a suggestion it may have been 1922 which means he would have been 56 at the time; 1922 - 1866 = 56

Being a sailor or merchant seaman he may have been on a ship that sank and all hands lost.
Consequently there would be no captains log to verify this but there must be some records somewhere specifying crew members who sailed on various ships and a list of the ships that were lost with all crew perishing.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find such information?
I am very interested to find the demise of my great grandfather.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Offline palmer3927

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 06:27 GMT (UK) »
I've been through all the records of shipwrecks around Australia from 1910 to 1930 and Mekal Herman Olsen is not listed as missing or died at sea.  There were a couple of wrecks where the missing person was not named but there were other survivors including the captain so ruled those out as well.

So what happened to him?
There are living descendants in Australia who may know the answer but don't know how to get hold of them. The NZ descendants don't know.

Cheers