Author Topic: Suffragette Collection  (Read 902 times)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Suffragette Collection
« on: Sunday 04 February 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Has anyone had any luck with the FindMyPast Suffragette Collection?

I have found someone I'm interested in but clicking on the image view button takes me to a never ending green 'hampster wheel' with no image appearing. Clicking on 'download' on the viewer page does however download the relevant page.

What I'm stumped on is the transcription gives details such as full name, date, place & county of birth, and occupation - but none of these are visible on the downloaded image.

The downloaded image has name, court(?), date (of hearing?) and then a number which in my heroine's case is 220.196/16. This number is presumably an index reference to where the other details such as birth date/place and occupation can be found, but what I don't see is how.  ???

The record I'm looking at is for Helen Margaret SPANTON b.1877

Has anyone managed to get more information about anyone they've found?

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Suffragette Collection
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 18 18:35 GMT (UK) »
I see what you see.

I suspect this is another instance where (in my opinion) they've "skimped" and are simply directing you to the National Archives where you might be able to get more.

The image is the book where her name was written down, the transcription is a description of her and advises you that the/any record is held at the National Archive, for which, no doubt, there's a charge :)
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 18 18:49 GMT (UK) »
I see what you see.

I'm not going mad then  ;)

By randomly changing the image number I've discovered the higher numbered images contain various items of correspondence, for example image 140 contains a letter to James Guy MP. That bears a number in a similar format - 253.239/29 - but still leaves me rather bemused.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 18 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I didn't know about it...I am doing research on the WSPU for a forthcoming exhibition but the 3 names I know have drawn a blank...Louisa Martindale, Dr. Mary Murdock and Millicent Fawcett and I get Nothing  ???
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Her name appears on here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/ee5a777f-1d7c-416b-a249-c7cb64fcc0a8

'........... Covers topics such as: fellow suffragette inmates (including Mrs Pankhurst, Constance Moore, Phyllis Keller, Jane Lomax, Louisa Garrett Anderson, Joan Wilson, Mrs Saul Solomon), descriptions of 'ordinary prisoners' [non-suffrage], games ... Katie Gliddon'; a dedication page, 'To the memory of Helen Margaret Spanton.........'
https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/a810d28f-33c7-3eed-82d0-f74453a32f8a?component=17b95c25-fb47-3c5d-acbb-d80cbaa4d673
Was she an artist? If so born 1877 died 1934 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Margaret_Spanton

Also some photos on flickr '........He ( William Spanton an artist) was living at 1 The paragon Blackheath and left £8269 to Helen Spanton. a sum equivalent to nearly half a million pounds in todays equivalent. ... A suffragette deputation to the House of Commons met with a six hour onslaught of police brutality resulting in a the Suffragettes beginning a huge window smashing ...'

If you google 'Helen SPANTON suffragette bury st edmunds' it is the first link that comes up with more written and photos
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 February 18 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Was she an artist? If so born 1877 died 1934 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Margaret_Spanton

Thanks iluleah. Yes, she's the one. The family made a very pointed comment to the authorities on the 1911 census and it was on my list of things to look into further when time allowed. "Four [out of 5] members of this family demand votes for women". Which of the five didn't wasn't clear.

The family had a photography business in Bury St Edmunds, and painting was also something they were clearly very good at.  :)

Details, including a picture of William Silas Spanton can be found here -
http://www.burypastandpresent.org.uk/jarman-captions/people/spanton-family.shtml

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 18 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking at some of her art, love it, she was a very talented lady
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 February 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I didn't know about it...I am doing research on the WSPU for a forthcoming exhibition but the 3 names I know have drawn a blank...Louisa Martindale, Dr. Mary Murdock and Millicent Fawcett and I get Nothing  ???
Carol
I'm not sure how extensive the collection is, by the sound of the description it may only be those who got into relatively serious trouble with the law.

I think I'll try again in a few days and see whether it was just one of those weekend glitches.