Author Topic: Where else can I look??  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where else can I look??
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear

That 1855 burial of Edward Jiggins is intriguing though, as aged 63 would put him as born 1792 - perhaps he did make his way back after all  :-\
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Is that him though? If he's on a boat in Tasmania in 1854, he has only just got back in Britain in time to get buried. There are a lot of Edward Giggins/Jiggins/Jiggens etc. in Essex that might fit. My niece reckons she has found his death in Adelaide!

This family search thing becomes an obsession..!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 18:08 GMT (UK) »
It was the baptism of the daughter of Joseph & Susan of the same address that made me wonder, as your original post mentions the marriage of Joseph & Susan in 1845, so I wondered if this was the same couple?

Burial of Edward Jiggins, 24 August 1855, South Benfleet
abode The End Way
age 63
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSLH-RVK?i=418&cc=1465710&cat=488175

Two images further on, baptism of Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph + Susan Jiggins. Abode The End Way.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Giggins married Susan Dockerill in 1849. It could be but I think I'm seeing edward giggins in my dreams at the moment..? It just seems odd if he is on a boat in 1854.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
The baptism for Sarah Elizabeth was March 1856, and the GRO confirms the mmn as Dockrill

GIGGINS, SARAH  ELIZABETH mmn DOCKRILL 
GRO Reference: 1856  M Quarter in ROCHFORD  Volume 04A  Page 169

If he's on a boat in Feb 1854 then he could easily have made it back a good year before his death. Guess you could always order the death certificate and see what it says, but it seems a heck of a coincidence if it isn't him.

GIGGINS, EDWARD       63     
GRO Reference: 1855  S Quarter in ROCHFORD UNION  Volume 04A  Page 100

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes it looks right. They got around these Victorians...and don't ever tell me they behaved themselves. Some of the things i've unearthed beggar belief.

Thanks again though, you are all so helpful. This latest escapade of my Dads family will make him grumpier than ever!