Author Topic: The Pearys of Northumberland  (Read 1662 times)

Offline sjjh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Pearys of Northumberland
« on: Tuesday 06 February 18 01:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to confirm the father of Robert Peary,born 1803 in Newcastle upon Tyne/Northumberland.There are two possibilities - Robert P born 1767 or,his brother, Thomas P born 1765. Obviously I need something definitive.Many thanks

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Pearys of Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 03:05 GMT (UK) »
How did you decide upon Robert and Thomas as possible fathers?

Have you found and viewed the birth/baptism of Robert b1803?

Offline sjjh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie, greetings from Georgia USA,

In answer to your questions.

I’ve been researching my branch of the Pearys(sic) in Newcastle/Northumberland for a number of years. Here is the backcloth to my question about Robert P.
Thomas Peary = Grace Scott had numerous children, including James (my ancestor) born 1810 and Robert (dates unknown).
In the early 1830’s James was living in St Helens,Lancashire,where several of his children were born (source: UK Census 1851). Similarly a Robert Peary (born c 1803 according to the Census) had been in St Helens,where again several of his children were born.
One might assume that James & Robert were brothers – both glass workers following the industry from Bishopwearmouth etc to St Helens. However, Thomas Peary (=Grace Scott) had a brother – Robert (born 1767). So James and Robert junior could be cousins rather than brothers.
Information available from Findmypast etc isn’t sufficient to determine the answer. Thomas’ children,those I have data for,seem to have been baptized at St Andrew’s Church in Newcastle.
Regards,

Ken

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Not that its much help but:

Marriage;
27 Feb 1825, St Paul, Jarrow, Durham
Robert PEAREY to Mary YOUNG
Witnesses; George WRIGHT/Mary LETHANIEL
Register note; Bride and 2nd Witness sign X
(FreeREG)

Birth Reg GRO Index;
PEARY, CHRISTOPHER  OGLE, Mothers mn YOUNG****
GRO Reference: 1851  M Quarter in SUNDERLAND  Volume 24  Page 312
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline sjjh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish1120,

Nice photo !

Many thanks for your swift response.Unfortunately it still begs the original question.In fact,some time ago another of your fellow countrymen,Bill Walker,sent me a very comprehensive chart depicting the Robert Peary=Mary Young marriage and all their various progeny. Bill then promised to go and research the local church records for Robert Pearey's birth/baptism. But I've not heard from Bill for some time.He was in his 80's - so,God forbid.Did you ever come across him ?

Best wishes,

Ken

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 15:31 GMT (UK) »
If the records for St Andrews are held at Woodhorn which I think they may be I'm heading there tomorrow and could have a look for you
Turner Cowie Humphrey Ruffell Elsender Sample

Offline sjjh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello DavyTee,

That's very kind of you.

To help you pinpoint your research,here are a few  surrounding bits of information:-

Thomas Peary = Grace Scott @ St Andrews church (RC ?) 14th September 1794

Their son James (my ancestor),almost certainly baptised there, 2nd December 1810

Christopher 26th March 1813.

Their son,Robert (no dates)must have been born between 1794 - and,say,1813 when last child recorded.

The Robert Peary I have from the 1851 Census,and who worked alongside James in the St Helens glass industry in the early 1830's,was born in 1803 (always a hazy memory in those days) - but could equally be the son of Thomas' brother,Robert.

I've got my branch of the Pearys back to around 1730 in Callaly Mains.But,despite the services of a couple of experts,I can get no further.The Whittingham church register has all but disintegrated !

The best of luck.

Ken

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if you have seen the Bishops Transcripts online to search but just in case it helps futher

Main page

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01li8/

1825 marriage...Durham records

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01li7/

1794...Northumberland records

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01li9/

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Thomas Peary and Grace Scott is indeed showing in the Bishop's Transcripts in the parish of St Andrew, Newcastle - 14 Sept 1794. It is image no 134 in the set for St Andrew.

It is the transcription of the baptism of Christopher Peary which refers to St Andrew - RC. The familysearch catalogue shows that St Andrew RC records have been digitised - you could view them in a familysearch centre.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)