Author Topic: parentige  (Read 3679 times)

Offline wolly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: parentige
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 February 18 23:53 GMT (UK) »
thank you monica      wolly

Offline wolly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 February 18 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica sorry to be a nuisance but I cant find anything at all re Helen howatson death not even the one you sent me I seem to have exausted all avenues   Scotlands people,   family search, ancestry, and find my past all come up no results, I have put in all name variations with no luck  what am I doing wrong    wolly

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 February 18 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wolly if you put in Helen's name in to Scotlands People exactly as Monica has written it and nothing else the entry will come up Wendy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: parentage
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 February 18 09:06 GMT (UK) »
See screenshot below from SP. Your one is third from the bottom of the list.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: parentage
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 February 18 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica sorry to be a nuisance but I cant find anything at all re Helen howatson death not even the one you sent me I seem to have exausted all avenues   Scotlands people,   family search, ancestry, and find my past all come up no results, I have put in all name variations with no luck  what am I doing wrong
as far as Ancestry and Family Search are concerned, you are wasting your time  ;)

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wolly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 00:20 GMT (UK) »
many thanks to you guys have found the transcript you sent  maybe i can go forward now ansd see what the other rellies doing the tree think    I think yes tho   wolly

Offline nvb272

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 15 June 18 03:04 BST (UK) »
Samuel was in the Dumfries militia which suggests he was from Dumfries not the Edinburgh area, Samuel Howatson born Terregles 1780 father Thomas.

There was a Samuel who was in the army born Dalkeith 1808 his marriage in Wigan in 1842 states his father Samuel was a soldier, his regiment took part in the riots in Preston.

James Howatson born Dumfries 1783 father Thomas, there was also a Thomas on the 1841 census who would have been James' son but he disappears after that.

James was 2nd bn north british dragoons who became the Scots greys, this regiment did nothing but fight at Waterloo, the fact Thomas was born c.1820 would suggest he survived the battle if he too part in it.

Jean Scot re married John Bishop in 1844 Bishop was army too, she wa sthe daughter of Robert Scot and Mary Swan, Robert worked the excise cutter The Royal Albert.
Bradford-Sussex, Surrey
McGinlay-Donegal,Glasgow
Howatson-Dalkeith,London
Jamieson-Londonderry,Partick
Key/McKee/Kee-Londonderry

Offline wolly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 15 June 18 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you for your imformation will check it out but re Jean scot I have a marriage cert that says she married James Howatson in 1806 in cannongate edinburgh , her father was also robert scot  samr profession so not sure if they are the one and the same

Offline wolly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 June 18 03:58 BST (UK) »
re again jean scot seems we are looking for a death cert for James Howatson , or a divorce regards wolly