Author Topic: Criteria for getting a British Passport  (Read 2234 times)

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Criteria for getting a British Passport
« on: Wednesday 07 February 18 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Can an Australian born citizen, with a Grandfather born in England on his mother's side, be eligible for a British Passport ? I was asked this today at our genealogy group and my reply was, " I will ask for help on RootsChat."

Thanks

Alan
Donougher, Bawden, Cahill, Mahon(e)y, Williams,
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Criteria for getting a British Passport
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 03:25 GMT (UK) »
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Very helpful. Thanks JM.

Alan
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Can an Australian born citizen, with a Grandfather born in England on his mother's side, be eligible for a British Passport ?

Hi Alan :)

The short answer will be 'no' in cases where the only family link to the UK is a grandparent born in England, Wales, or Scotland.

However Ireland is different.  A child or grandchild of someone born in Ireland can apply to the government of the Republic of Ireland for a passport - even if the parent/grandparent was born in Northern Ireland/Ulster which is still part of the UK ;D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Differences depending on your birthdate and can only be claimed through your British-born father and he must have been married to your mother - somewhat sexist some people might say!

Quote from
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564944/OS_OL_Guidance_Notes_10.16.pdf

If you were born outside the UK on or before
31December 1982 you can only claim British
nationality through your father, and he must have
been married to your mother (either before or after
you were born). If your father was born outside the
UK, he can’t pass his British nationality to you.
If you were born before 1 July 2006, then British
nationality can only be claimed through the father if
your parents were married at the time of your birth,
or have married since.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Judith,

Thank you. I will pass on your information to my enquirer.

Alan
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 08:04 GMT (UK) »
However Ireland is different.  A child or grandchild of someone born in Ireland can apply to the government of the Republic of Ireland for a passport - even if the parent/grandparent was born in Northern Ireland/Ulster which is still part of the UK ;D

The recent and continuing issues over the eligibility of certain politicians concentrated on parentage.  I wonder if Irish grandparentage has also been considered :-\

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 08:31 GMT (UK) »

The recent and continuing issues over the eligibility of certain politicians concentrated on parentage.  I wonder if Irish grandparentage has also been considered :-\

Carol

The register with each politican's statements includes space for grandparents.  The  completed forms are online, and have been since early December 2017.

JM