Author Topic: Criteria for getting a British Passport  (Read 2233 times)

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Criteria for getting a British Passport
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Well done everyone and thank you! I don't think my enquirer has a case and will inform him so
ASAP.
Alan

Donougher, Bawden, Cahill, Mahon(e)y, Williams,
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 February 18 03:02 GMT (UK) »
The Italian citizenship of one set of Senator Matthew Canavan's grandparents came up in the Court of Disputed Returns' (aka High Court of Australia's) consideration of his case (http://www6.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/cases/cth/HCA/2017/45.html). "Italian citizenship is currently governed under a law enacted in 1992, which provides that the child of a parent who is an Italian citizen is an Italian citizen by birth."  Although, in his case, the Court said Senator Canavan wasn't an Italian citizen as he didn't take active steps to become so.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 February 18 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I guess the question now should be not how to get a British Passport but how does one hold British Nationality.  My husband's father was born in England but came to Oz when aged 8 in the 1920s.  Married an Australian but apparently my husband and his Australian born siblings are entitled to British Nationality.  No idea what would happen if they applied for a British passport.  Hopefully hubby doesn't want to become an Australian politician! ::)   

Andcarred
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 February 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I guess the question now should be not how to get a British Passport but how does one hold British Nationality.  My husband's father was born in England but came to Oz when aged 8 in the 1920s.  Married an Australian but apparently my husband and his Australian born siblings are entitled to British Nationality.  No idea what would happen if they applied for a British passport.  Hopefully hubby doesn't want to become an Australian politician! ::)   

Andcarred

UK nationality legislation has changed many times over the years but in very simple terms, you get nationality by descent by either being born in the UK or by being the child of someone born in the UK.  (You can also acquire nationality through the naturalisation process but I am pretty sure that’s not what you are asking about here).

So for someone born in the UK who moved to Australia and had a child in Australia, that child was entitled to a British passport. But nationality did not pass on to the next generation born in Australia, because that 3rd generation was not born in the UK or have a parent born in the UK.

So yes, your husband and his siblings would appear to be eligible for a British passport if they wanted. The UK has no issues with dual citizenship (and neither does Australia as far as I am aware) and people often have 2 passports for different countries.  Means you can usually go through the “home citizens” passport desks at both ends of your journey without any detailed interviews by nasty immigration officials.

As has been mentioned some countries like the Republic of Ireland allow nationality to go back to grandparents. However the UK does not.  (And I don’t think Australia does either).

Elwyn

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 February 18 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn - eligibility for British nationality depends on your father's place of birth - not your mother's place of birth.  Also your father needs to have been married to your mother. 

See my earlier reply #7 which quotes directly from the current guidelines.

Seems a bit sexist to me!

(It would seem that Andcarrad's husband is probably able to get a British passport.)

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 February 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Judith, seems ALOT sexist doesn't it!  Very old school British...

Try being born in British Hong Kong to non British parents, impossible as as well!

It really URKS me standing in that HUGE line at Heathrow when they are supposed to be the mothership... Rant Over!

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 February 18 23:33 GMT (UK) »
 >:(

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk