Author Topic: Cheddar Man's DNA  (Read 10005 times)

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Cheddar Man's DNA
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 04:10 GMT (UK) »
"I felt it was done primarily for the American market."

ROFL.

I didn't think the comment was quite that amusing.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 07:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm crossing this program off the must see someday list, it sounds like a how we did it rather than what we found and what it means program, pity.
Thanks for letting us know.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm crossing this program off the must see someday list, it sounds like a how we did it rather than what we found and what it means program, pity.
Thanks for letting us know.

That's a good summary of the programme.    There was no analysis at all.   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I thought the Cheddar man looked very like the Dutch brothers who made him up, deffo some connection!  ;D

Skoosh.

Your comment, Skoosh, brought to mind the facial reconstructions in the series "History Cold Case" of which the majority bore a remarkable resemblance to their creator Caroline Wilkinson:
https://www.ft.com/content/cffb15ea-a742-11e4-8a71-00144feab7de
 ;D

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I thought the Cheddar man looked very like the Dutch brothers who made him up, deffo some connection!  ;D

Skoosh.

I thought that too..  I find it hard to believe that using modern day algorithms they can come up a realistic  portrayal of an ancient human.

Davidft, the haplogroup apparently was first announced in 1996 when the first dna was extracted, but was thought to be contaminated. Now it seems the Natural History Museum is also quoting the same haplogroup, which I assume must be correct as it's from another sample of dna which wasn't contaminated.   (Mitochondrial U5b1)

The NHM website is a little more realistic to the findings
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/our-science/our-work/origins-evolution-and-futures/human-adaptation-diet-disease/cheddar-man-faq.html

So they haven't actually found out anything new about Cheddar man  since the first DNA was extracted in 1996, athough the understanding of DNA migration has and still is evolving with each new find.

The whole programme  really revolved about the forensic reconstruction of the head with some padding. Totally dumbed down with appropriate padding for extra commercial breaks for the international market (sorry Erato ;D )

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
"Mirror, Mirror on the Wall!" folks!

Skoosh.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
While I agree with the comments about lack of serious scientific content in the programme, I do find these forensic reconstructions fascinating. Looking at a heap of bones, or even a well preserved skull, I find it impossible to visualise the living person. I'm sure there is some artistic licence in the finer details but the basic anatomy is fairly well understood, so I believe the general proportions are accurate. One thing we will probably never know is whether they shaved or had a haircut, or had tattos all over their faces, earrings, or other piercings like many modern day hunter/gatherers . . .  :-\

Like a lot of our TV output, it was 15 minutes of interesting information squeezed into an hour  ::)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 21:42 GMT (UK) »
We're very lucky that de-coding the DNA has happened in our lifetime & old bones now tell their story!

"The dead will open the eyes of the living!"   Cunninghame Graham.   

Skoosh.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
The eyes and skin tone immediately reminded me of this photo -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl

Lots of Near Eastern people have pale eyes.