Author Topic: Did Jacob Miller and Jane Anderson ever really marry?  (Read 5209 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did Jacob Miller and Jane Anderson ever really marry?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,

I had a spare hour this afternoon and so nipped along to the cemetery.  I tried to follow your directions but unfortunately could not locate the grave at all.  Even one of the workers in the grounds could not help.  The worker asked what year they were buried and when I told him he said they probably had graves which couldn't be read.  However, I saw lots of graves which you could clearly read.

I presume when you say to the left of the monument you do mean before reaching the monument? 

Do you happen to know if it is a large grave stone or just a small memorial? 

Your offer is very kind indeed but I often just have to go places on spec whenever I can fit time in between long shifts both day and night and on-calls and family commitments.

I took a photo of the board outside the church.  Would it be possible for you to put an X on to mark a rough idea of the spot and then when I can next try to fit this in I will have another go.  I will try to attach a photo of the board on a follow up post.

By the way the Sara and Michael you mention - it sounds to me like these people will likely be the brother and sister of Jacob.  Their ages seem to fit in.  When I get a chance I will try to find out more.

Thank you for all this help.  When I do finally manage to locate the grave I will let you know on here.

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Here is the photo of the board  ...
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

Just to let you know - I think I have now been able to successfully link the post. :)

Also, if anyone is going to Woodhorn and this document is there would it be possible to try to look up this information for me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried Berwick but nobody seems to be able to help at that end with a look up.

Thanks in anticipation.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know.  Another source (not on RootsChat) has just sent me word that Jacob and Jane are listed on the Lamberton marriages with a page number but no further information is provided.

It appears these runaway marriages were kept very secretive indeed.   :-\  Oh, well, at least I got to find out that they did marry and Radcliff has been able to kindly let me know a gravestone exists so the search goes on! :)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Please email me Tyne Lass and I will send you a grave reference map,I have tried to attach t to your post but it is to large,and I don't seem to be able to send it to you via a pm either
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.  I have just emailed you and I am looking forward to receiving the map.  I can't get to Cemetery at moment because of work.  However, I do plan to get there again as soon as I get more time.  I will post on here to let you know when found.  :)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 06:59 GMT (UK) »
About those registers at Northumberland Archives.  They do hold the microfilm copy of the registers of Henry Collins and those are the ones performed by him and up to 1849--Vol 1.  The other list of marriages in Volume 2 are names found in the Berwick Advertiser and other border newspapers.  Those are from 1808-1864.  These on occasion included father's names but mostly the bride's father.  Your names did not. 

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
The Irregular Border Marriages were frowned upon even in the vicinity of the border. I have a few sets of grandparents that married at Lamberton Toll, and one of those couples that worked at Mordington were sumonsed to a court hearing (1833) at Mordington Hall about their irregular marriage. The Toll was only a short distance from Mordington Hall. It seems their marriage was not dissolved but they were 'rebuked' for it. There is a written record, though it doesn't go into any detail. I suppose such marriages were best kept quiet, and after all, how many times does anyone actually check up on whether a couple is really married or not after the event?

My ancestors were Presbyterian, that is why they chose the Irregular marriages.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Janis and Phodgetts for your additional posts/information on this thread. :)  I really appreciate this.  All I can think is that there must have been disapproval from one of both of their families regarding their match and hence the runaway marriage.

Incidentally, for anyone researching this family Jacob and Jane's Grandson Jacob Conroy (my first cousin, twice removed) is named on the memorial at New York, North Shields.  He was killed in action during WW1.  There is a photo of him on the North East War Memorials Project.