Author Topic: Great grandad William simpson campbell  (Read 6279 times)

Offline mitch601

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great grandad William simpson campbell
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 February 18 22:39 GMT (UK) »
MaxD I've had a look and it actually looks like it says riso or  campbell. Rather than rixon. I did think at first it say rison . I'll take a pic of what it says on marriage cert and see if can post it . Thank you 

Offline mitch601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 February 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
It's not letting me post it as says file is too big yet only was trying to post the surname

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 February 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Wendy2305 hi thank You,  now do you mean William,my great grandad ? John is my grandad and on his birth he is just under John Campbell. (Middle  name ross,though that's not on His marriage or birth cert) His mother on it says Jessie ratray maiden name morrison,father William simpson campbell.
Jessie and William  marriage is dated on it as 1916.
 But....on Jessie and William marriage cert it states  19 March 1915. So I'm not sure who you've seen under rose? I wonder as well because why would she give grandad middle name of ross if that belonged to her previous husband?  All strange lol . William and jessie marriage cert doesn't have her maiden name on the copy I have,just says Jessie ann and whatever last bit says.i will try get a pic of it and post it

Have you looked at the Scotlands People website On there there is a marriage of a William Campbell to a Jessie Ann Rose or Morrison in Elgin in 1915 and sorry just looked at the birth again and wrong year for your granddad the John Rose Campbell I spotted was born in 1932 in Elgin

if you have a copy of the wedding cert what are the names of Jessie's parents and do you know where and when she married Edgar

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 February 18 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Also bit confused over Jessie's name as you quoted from your granddad birth Scottish Certificates would state the mothers name as Jessie Campbell formerly Ross ms Morrison Of course it is possible Jessie was illegitimate herself using either her mothers surname or fathers so she could have 4 different surnames by the time your granddad was born

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 February 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
From everyone's details above. This looks to likely be the birth index entry for Jessie Campbell, mother to William Simpson Campbell:

Name    Jessie Campbell
Gender    Female
Birth Date    06 Nov 1856
Birthplace    ARDCLACH,NAIRN,SCOTLAND
Father's Name    Robert F. S. Campbell
Mother's Name    Jessie Cameron

From other children's index entries, the F S for Robert father is showing as Falconer Smith.

Census ages can be unreliable can't they. In 1881, there is a 21 yr old Jessie Campbell, b. Ardclach working as a servant at Salterhill Farm in Drainie, Moray.

1861 census entry here:

Robert Campbell 31
Jessie Campbell 26
Ann Campbell 5
Jessie Campbell 4
Isabella Campbell 2
William Campbell 2 Months

Address: 56 North Street, Spynie, Elgin

Jessie not with the family in 1871 who show as living at Castle Sparrow, Auldearn, Nairnshire. Working away from home? Haven't found her yet...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mitch601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
ok, wendy 2305 the names i have are my great grandfather,william simpson campbell, who married jessie ann ross( maiden name rattray) we also have the surname morrison for her but i dont know where that is from, she was a widow ,first husband apparently a daniel ross
.have found no marriage though.daniel apparently died 1910 in inverness.
then she married my great grandfather william,and they apparently had a son william born 1916 and a daughter johanna mcintosh in 1918 and then my grandad john campbell ( middle name ross?)   williams mother was also possibly jessie as was his grandmother called jessie. why couldnt they pick different names lol?
put simply  jessie ann ross married first to daniel ross then william simpson campbell and then george edgar in 1937.jessies mother elizabeth is down as ratray with maiden name of mchardy.i dont know whats going on with all the names! when we have her as morrison.

Offline mitch601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »
monicaL thank you i will look into that info , jessie aged 4 is possibly the mother of my g grandad william simpson campbell  born in 1882.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 18:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of Daniel Ross in Inverness in 1910 age 31 and there is a marriage in Inverness between a Daniel Ross and Jessie Duncan in 1899 nothung else come close

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
have Found Jessie's death in 1965 in Dundee West in Angus age 81 surnames Edgar Campbell Rattray and Ross