Author Topic: Hoping someone can help me make sense of this.  (Read 3356 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hoping someone can help me make sense of this.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 February 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
no mention of first husband, just widow of David Nichol, joiner.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 February 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Crawford Ferguson also has a son called Brice in c1852

Offline court389

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 February 18 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Does the cert. name her husband(s), Osprey?

The Bryce Crawford connection would certainly help to explain Bryce Nicol's first name. ( I also think the first name Harvey could be explained by this birth in Gargunnock, Stirlingshire, 9 July 1820- David Nicol  with parents Andrew Nicol and Janet Harvie).

Court 389, did your Agnes Kilgour marry John McFarlane in 1860? If so I note that among their children are Jemima and Bryce McFarlane. Coincidence?

Re Bryce Nicol  it would appear that he married a Maria Kilgour. Maria was born in Gloucestershire but her parents James Kilgour and Elizabeth Woodward were born in St Quivox, James being the son of John Kilgour who farmed at Notmyre. Again coincidence?

William
My fourth great grandmother Agnes Crawford married James Kilgour in 1834. They had 3 children, Janet, Agnes and Jemima(unsure of last one) before 1843. I'm unsure if they divorced or if he passed away, but between then and 1849 she married and gave birth to Bryce with David Nicol.

My 3rd great grand mother Agnes Kilgour married John Macfarlane in 1860 and had a whole bunch of children, including a Bryce and a Jemima. Unfortunately John Macfarlane disappears somewhere between 1871 and 1881.. 

On the case of Bryce Nicol marrying a Kilgour.. do you think it's possible the James and Agnes divorced, and James remarried and had more children... subsequently one that would marry his ex-wives son? I'm going to need to pour a glass of wine for this one..

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 February 18 23:58 GMT (UK) »
No! I was not suggesting that at all.

The James Kilgour who was father of Maria who married Bryce Nicol was born in 1832! All I was flagging up was the surname connection which may be worth further investigation.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you don't know.  There is mention further back in this thread of someone being noted as daughter-in-law on a census.  In the past daughter/son - in-law often referred to what we would know as a step - daughter/son.