Author Topic: kilpatrick family  (Read 4141 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: kilpatrick family
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 March 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »
And...let's not forget Martin! From 1923:

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 March 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
From online trees, George Hurst was from Bolton England and arrived in Canada in 1910. The marriage to Sarah Ann Kilpatrick is showing as having taken place on October 28, 1919 in Montreal. They went on to have at least 5 children.

Sarah Ann's death is listed as being on 8 Dec 1960 at Greenfield Park, Quebec.

Other connected trees show sister Helen as having married a Fred Burnie (may have been born in Aberdeenshire c. 1880) and having died in Aug 1972 in Brooklyn, Kings, New York. Did Helen have a daughter (Agnes/Nancy Kilpatrick) born on 23 Sept 1905 in Lochwinnoch? She shows as having died in Brooklyn too, on 20 Feb 1983.

Monica

Offline huey1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 March 18 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Wow again!! thank you ,thank you , thank you
There are so many Kilpatrick's with same names my head is spinning some time trying to find info.
The married sister that is mentioned on Helen's form would have to be Sarah ,Helen did have a illegitimate daughter Agnes born 1905 Lochwinnoch Sarah ,Helen and daughter Agnes are on the 1911 census . On the 1901 census Helen is living with older sister Eliz.and her husband David Mcginigle ,after David's death in 1908 Eliz married Andrew Whyte in 1914 it must be Eliz that is on Thomas 's form as Mrs A White.I don't see a Scottish marriage for Helen to Fred Burnie so they must have been married in Canada after 1920
Martin married Isabella Mc Christie Mc Leod 1922 in Beith  she died JUn 1961 Beith so he must have left her for Canada  as did his older brother Hugh.On Isabella 's death cert it looks lika a M Kilpatrick -widower- signed as witness/informant -present - so he must have returned at some point
It looks like Sarah would have left for Canada between 1911 and 1919 when she married George Hurst.
A small coincidence about Sarah 's 1960 death in Greenfield Park which is a suburb of Montreal
When I came to Canada with my parents and sister in 1952 we stayed  with my uncle in this same town till 1955.I must try to find some info about this period , it was a very small place she may have been living close by , woudnt that be something to discover !!! Hope I have everything straight .

thanks once again ,I look forward to any additional and will keep you posted

Hughie

Hughie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 March 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
What a co-incidence that you were in the same town just a few years before Sarah Ann's death  shows there!

This looks to be George and Sarah and first born James in the Canadian 1921 census - first entry of the two there:

www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1921/Pages/results.aspx?k=cnsSurname%3a%22hurst%22+AND+cnsGivenName%3a%22george%22+AND+cnsAge%3a%2228%22

Their marriage certain looks to be as we had already in 1919 as I have just found the image from the register for it.

Entry also for Helen I think in the same area http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1921&op=img&id=e003104396

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 March 18 20:29 GMT (UK) »
There is so much on the family in Cananda and the US, Hughie  :)

From Family Search (just log on to view):

Helen - 1930 US Census https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X42G-JQ8
Helen - 1940 US Census https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KQTF-6K1

Can't see any ref to a marriage so far to a Fred Burnie...

Her daughter, Helen Jnr also headed off firstly to Canada with Uncle David in 1919. Went back to Scotland and then returned in 1921. Mum Helen paid for her passage. She travelled with an Agnes McGonigel (cousin).

She headed off to Brooklyn NY and there in 1924 married Edward Roger Kelly (Agnes McG was one of the witnesses). Husband Edward died in 1951 and she remarried a John Lennon in 1956. She then died, as we had, in Brookly in 1983.

Agnes/Nancy in the 1930 NY census https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X76R-5WJ
Agnes/Nancy in the 1940 NY census https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KQM7-Y1L

Her SSDI entry:

Name Nancy Lennon
SSN    096-18-0073
Last Residence    Brooklyn, 11238, Kings, New York, USA
Born    23 Sep 1905
Died    Feb 1983

And for mum, Helen Snr, her SSDI details:

Name Helen Kilpatrick
SSN    089-26-2427
Last Residence    Brooklyn, 11220, Kings, New York, USA
Born    13 Mar 1885
Died    Aug 1972
State (Year) SSN issued New York - 1951

Monica

PS: So who is left back in Scotland now? Elizabeth and Agnes? James and William we still do not know much about do we?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 March 18 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought...

Fred Burnie could possibly have been Helen Jnr.'s reputed father (and no marriage)?

He shows in Lochwinnoch in 1901:

George Bernie 42 Navvy (foreman) b. Longside Aberdeen
June Bernie 40
Fred Bernie 20 Navvy b. Boddan, Aberdeenshire
Andrew Bernie 17
Janet Bernie 9

Address: Hut Harvey Terrace, Lochwinnoch

Would explain why Helen was showing as single in her 1940 census entry and her death registered in her maiden surname.

Monica

Offline huey1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 March 18 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Interesting note about Fred Burnie !!I think that James and William are the only one that are missing
There is a war death on SP for a William killied in action 1917 in Egypt have to follow up on that,1901 census shows a William as a visitor with the Love family on Little cloak St in Lochwinnoch any idea if that is anywhere near the rest of the Kilpatrick 's on Calder

Hughie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 March 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hughie

Not sure if the 1917 death you mention in Egypt is for the correct William. See www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?initial=w&lastName=kilpatrick&war=1

Regarding proximity of Calder Street to Little Cloak, can't imagine they were far away. I don't know the area and can't easily see maps of that time to help us further here.

Also, I think Little Cloak may have been a farm? William Love showed as a farmer didn't he? See:

OS1/26/16/76 LITTLE CLOAK - A farm house & outbuildings. It is the property of Mr. Barbour, and occupied by Robert Walker.

This showed much earlier (1856-57) here https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/renfrewshire-os-name-books-1856-1857/renfrewshire-volume-16?display=transcription

Monica

Added: Just checked the 1905 Valuation Roll and yes it was a farm, tenanted still by William Love.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 March 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Here is a novel idea....how about if William also headed off to Canada  ;)

Can't easily see anything for him so far in Scotland. There is a manifest entry for a William Kilpatrick arriving in Quebec in 1906 in aged 19. His origin in Scotland is showing as Renfrewshire.

I can't make out his occupation as image not great.

Monica