Author Topic: Stephenson Family, Corballyquill, Cootehill  (Read 3042 times)

Offline cliveocr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stephenson Family, Corballyquill, Cootehill
« on: Saturday 10 February 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
John Edward Stephenson was born on 10/5/1881 in Market Street, Cootehill.  His parents were Thomas Stephenson and Anna Maria Wright.  They married on 11/2/1879 in the Parish of Drumgoon, Cootehill.  John’s siblings included Annie (b.1880), Esther (b.1883), Thomas (b.1885), Robert William Wright (b.1888), Martha Jane (b.1889) and Mary Eveline (b.1892). They were all born in Cootehill.

Thomas Stephenson died 11/5/1895 in Cootehill.  Anna Maria later married Charles Lendrum from Corballyquill, Ashfield on 14/12/1903.  The Stephenson family at some point moved to Corballyquill.

John Edward was a carpenter, like his father Thomas.  He used to make clogs and also coffins in his workshop in Corballyquill.

John Edward married Emily Discon on 29/6/1904 in the Cathedral Church of St Mary, Tuam, Co. Galway.  John Edward was working as a contractor in Hollymount, Co. Mayo and Emily was working in The Palace, Tuam.  Emily was born in the Parish of Kiltullagh, Co. Roscommon.

John Edward and Emily had at least four children - they were Thomas Discon (b.1905), Thomas George (b.1906), Robert William (b.1911) and Martha Jane (b.1912).  The family lived on Corballyquill until it was sold in 1951.  Thomas Discon and Martha Jane died very soon after they were born.  Thomas George emigrated to Philadelphia, USA in 1922.  His uncle Thomas Stephenson was living in Philadelphia, having previously emigrated there.

I can’t find any other records for Robert William.  John Edward and Emily also had a son called ‘Johnny’, for whom I can find no records – maybe ‘Johnny’ was a nickname for Robert William ?

John Edward died 4/9/1962 in Old Bridge, Cootehill and Emily died 31/5/1965 in Clementstown, Cootehill.  I would like to find out where John Edward Stephenson and Emily Stephenson (nee Discon) are buried. 

Also, if anyone can find any information on Robert William Stephenson and / or Johnny Stephenson it would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stephenson Family, Corballyquill, Cootehill
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »
They seem to be Presbyterian.....

1901 Census http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ljl/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 18 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Deceased Surname Stephenson
Deceased Forename John
Primary Beneficiary/ExecutorJoseph Ferris
Date of Death 14 Apr 1902
County of Death Cavan

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639460612

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 06:18 GMT (UK) »

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 18 08:29 GMT (UK) »

...  John Edward and Emily also had a son called ‘Johnny’, for whom I can find no records – maybe ‘Johnny’ was a nickname for Robert William ? ...

I suspect that this is a possibility, wrongly indexed on the 'irishgenealogy' website as 'Sheppenson':

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1916/01343/1554425.pdf

Offline cliveocr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 18 22:16 GMT (UK) »
This is great.  Thank you for finding 'Johnny' Stephenson - I would never have thought of looking in Tipperary.  The Stephensons were Presbyterians, while the Discons were Church of Ireland. Thank you again.  Clive

Offline addiegr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 April 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Clive,

Further to the contributions of others, I can offer some context. My great grandmother, Elizabeth Lendum (1861-1919), born Corballyquill, was the sister of  Charles Lendrum, married to Anna Maria Stephenson nee Wright. In 1894, she married Nathaniel Addie of Corbeagh (adjoins Corballyquill) and moved to Tipperary where her husband was employed initially as a herdsman on the estate of the Lows of Kilshane. Elizabeth's sister, Jane, married William Corbett in 1897 and they joined Elizabeth and her family in Kilshane shortly afterwards. The Stephenson's presence in Tipperary in 1916 is thereby explained, as Elizabeth Addie and Jane Corbett would have been John Edward's step-aunts. Charles Lendrum had no children, Anna Maria died in 1924 and Charles died a widower in 1927. I am assuming that the Stephenson connection with Corballyquill may result from them inheriting the Lendrum holding in Corballyquill.

George