Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Help identifying this bridge please.  (Read 8051 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
(*Completed with thanks*)Help identifying this bridge please.
« on: Sunday 11 February 18 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Trying to identify pictures in my grandparents family Album,  an ongoing task as none are marked just the odd date on the back. As my family hardly strayed out of Arundel I am assuming the pictures are in and around the town. The majority of pictures are of grandparents family. Plus many of Granddad in uniform before and during WW1. Would date the album from late 1800's  to mid 1940's. 

For many years at a quick glance I assumed this one was Arundel Bridge until yesterday I looked closer. If it was you should see the Castle and post Office where the trees are at the back, also there is a stone entrance and iron gate on left on bridge which I have not seen in any pictures. The white buildings on the right are what led me to assume Arundel. However on so many levels this cannot be Arundel.  My thoughts went to Fittleworth/Stopham/ Pulborough areas.  Having spent hours pouring over pictures of Sussex bridges on google I am going bridge blind!

It could be completely unrelated to Sussex.  Hopefully one of you may recognize it.  I hope you enjoy the challenge and look forward to hearing from you. 
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying this bridge please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
This next picture was next to the bridge pic  in album, may or may not be relevant.  Looks like one of the villages surrounding Arundel, possibly Amberley/Littlehampton area?

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 18 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Interesting! My first thoughts on the bridge was that it was over the railway, but not sure ... I've asked my parents to have a look - Dad knows that area VERY well and might just recognise it if it is one of the villages round Arundel.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

Is that a large house entrance on left or a church yard, I can't decide but could help with location.

2nd photo has a sign but can't read it, blow up attached.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

The bungalow in 2nd pic looks almost new and appears to have crittall windows.

I had another look and also thought railway but canal also came to mind. In Sussex that would narrow it down quite a bit.

John915

Added; Happy hunting  :o :o :o :o :o http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ljp/
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I've played around with the sign and got it a bit clearer but I still can't read it.

The first photo looks familiar and I'm sure I've seen it somewhere in the Arundel/Pulborough area - will do a trawl through Google's Maps & Streetview.

I also wondered about a railway, the white painted fencing on the left looks very much like what you'd find associated with them.

Is there any date on the back of the photo Jane? 

I'm wondering if it is a railway if it's one of the small cross country lines closed by Beeching.

I also noticed that beyond the bridge there appears to be a hedge line going up to the right in front of the trees - they might not be there anymore of course.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to attach the photo

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I also thought they gate looked a bit like a Church / graveyard. I've been 'street viewing' my way along the Sussex railways around Arundel / Pulborough etc and haven't seen it yet. Certainly feels familiar though - one place that came to mind was West Grinstead ... but haven't found a picture yet.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 18 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. Some great thoughts. I like the railway theory and I did think may be bridge over canal.  The entrance on left indeed looks if it could lead to a  church or large house but rather close to river but I am assuming bridge is over a river which not necessarily true.   

There is no date on photo.

I think the house may be unconnected , but maybe if we find location of bridge can look at houses in area. I feel both pics must have a significance my grandparents were not the types to keep random photos, all have a connection to my family.