Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Help identifying this bridge please.  (Read 8006 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying this bridge please.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 February 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I wonder why a seemingly 'uninteresting' view meant sufficient to someone to take the photo, make me wonder if we are missing something.

That was my first thought and is why I wonder if perhaps it isn't somewhere local to where they lived. I think that are more likely to take that sort of photo when you are on holiday, than when you are just out for a stroll.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 February 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I can see a gate possibly to a church, then after that the wall with iron railings on top, but there appears to be a stone structure in front of the wall, fronted by a mown patch of grass, with a rail alongside the road, possibly a memorial of some sort.

Mike

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 February 18 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I wonder why a seemingly 'uninteresting' view meant sufficient to someone to take the photo, make me wonder if we are missing something.

That was my first thought and is why I wonder if perhaps it isn't somewhere local to where they lived. I think that are more likely to take that sort of photo when you are on holiday, than when you are just out for a stroll.

I agree. My grandparents from what I remember didn't go on day trips or holidays, not their thing. But I am taking late 50's. However, I do remember my grandmother visiting one of her sisters in Ash. I then had a Eureka moment. I posted a pic for location identification of grandparents at seaside probably in 40's. It was identified as Herne  Bay . It has just ocurred to me grandad's uncle retired to Herne Bay, although he was black sheep of family my grandfather kept in touch with one of his cousins. Food for thought. Although I don't know why I still feel it is Sussex.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 12 February 18 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I think the sign (Reply#3) is a weight restriction sign that reads "Maximum Load", with the actual load restriction illegible.  The first three letters on the second line read (to my eyes) L O A.  Perhaps someone with more acute eyesight can confirm, or otherwise.

Istrice

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Hi,
I think the sign (Reply#3) is a weight restriction sign that reads "Maximum Load", with the actual load restriction illegible.  The first three letters on the second line read (to my eyes) L O A.  Perhaps someone with more acute eyesight can confirm, or otherwise.Istrice

A weight restriction sign at that time would look the same, design wise, as the one left of bridge. The weight on it would read as "3t"  "5t" etc. It referred to veh weight empty. Unlike modern signs which are the veh MAM (maximum allowable mass) or fully laden weight. It would also face the oncoming traffic rather than across the rd.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 February 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
John,

I would agree if the sign related to a public road, and had been installed by the respective highway authority for the area.  However, I can't see anything in the photograph to suggest that this sign actually relates to a road.  It is more probable that it is located adjacent to a public road and associated with a private access taken off this road, or to an access supported by a retaining wall, a private bridge, or somesuch that requires a weight restriction to prevent damage.  It may have been erected by some as yet unidentified organisation or estate.  At the moment it's unfortunately still all guesswork.

Highway authorities are unlikely to erect signs, or permit a telegraph poles(?) or other structures to be put up in positions that would obscure warnings, but stranger things have been known to happen.

Regards
Istrice

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
John,

I would agree if the sign related to a public road, and had been installed by the respective highway authority for the area.  However, I can't see anything in the photograph to suggest that this sign actually relates to a road.  It is more probable that it is located adjacent to a public road and associated with a private access taken off this road, or to an access supported by a retaining wall, a private bridge, or somesuch that requires a weight restriction to prevent damage.  It may have been erected by some as yet unidentified organisation or estate.  At the moment it's unfortunately still all guesswork.

Highway authorities are unlikely to erect signs, or permit a telegraph poles(?) or other structures to be put up in positions that would obscure warnings, but stranger things have been known to happen.

Regards
Istrice

More food for thought, thanks Istrice.  I like the private road/bridge to an estate theory. I was wondering if the elaborate chimney pots on the white buildings  could help for identification purposes.

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Re the first photo.  Is that a name above the main door?  (Probably too small to make out?)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Re the first photo.  Is that a name above the main door?  (Probably too small to make out?)

I thought that too. Name or number possibly.  However the photo is not very good quality and I am unable to make anything of it, tried everything.