Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Help identifying this bridge please.  (Read 8052 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying this bridge please.
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
The pic ----  reminds me of a trip to Minehead on a double decker that stopped in DEAL at the railway station.  I always like to confuse as you know.. so sorry to come in late in the day --
Basically what I am saying is it could very well be the bridge over a railway leading to the station.

bye :)

xin

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Or it could be anywhere xin, lol x
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes

The telegraph pole gave me a feeling of a train station..  and then I had one of those De...ja.. veau  moments.. and saw  The Bridge in Deal.. ha ha

its nothing like it.

Hope you find out where it is.. sooner rather than later.

xin

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 15 February 18 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Have had a 're-think. If the sign on left is a major road ahead then the front of station would be other side of bridge. Maybe it is not a full blown station just a halt where train only stops once or twice a day. Perhaps the way to go is identifying the stones entrance and look for churches/churchyards  close to railway lines. The style of stonework looks local.  If the bridge has been redeveloped I would assume the entrance would remain. Several villages/hamlets in Arundel area spring to mind. 

My search continues.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 15 February 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

You are probably correct, just a halt. A single platform with a cottage/ticket office. Many of them dotted around Sussex at one time.

In 67 years I have never seen telegraph lines following a river or canal in Sussex. Or anywhere else for that matter.

The "Major" rd may still be only a narrow lane but is deemed the more important of the two rds. Very few bridges over railways are altered in anyway unless on major "A" rds. I can think of a couple of places on the "A31" where the bridges were widened to accommodate the rd as it got upgraded. A second bridge or culvert being put in beside it when it became a dual carriageway, although they were only over streams not railway which runs parallel to the rd in places.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 15 February 18 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you John. I would agree with  the telegraph poles comment. Going by style of sign would date 30-40's. I know of a few bridges around my area that are as small as this making passing difficult but luckily they are in villages where traffic is not a great problem.

Have just spent a while (on Google)  travelling the railway line from Arundel to just past Adversane, nothing to see. Was looking for churches. One St Leonard' in North Stoke outside Arundel sparked my interest, in view of  the entrance stone work in front of bridge.  This fits with the area being on edge of Arundel Park and similar walls.  But was not to be.   

This one is driving me mad. The picture , I feel, must mean something family related to have been placed in the album. Maybe I should focus on it belonging to my Nana Maggie not granddad.

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 15 February 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Are  you so sure the gates lead to a Church?  It is possible, of course, but I would have expected to see some kind of notice board to indicate the Church and/or Services.

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 15 February 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
And just to throw "another spanner" in the works.  Could the gates lead to the house in the second photo???  Is that the link between the two photos?

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 15 February 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Are  you so sure the gates lead to a Church?  It is possible, of course, but I would have expected to see some kind of notice board to indicate the Church and/or Services.

I agree, even back in the 1930s-40s churches generally had signboards up.  I suspect it's the entrance to a house with the house name on one or both of the gate pillars, there does seem to be such, probably the 'posh' house of the time.

The roads sign is interesting, that opens up a number of extra things to look for.

I have noted where it's now a defunct railway line that bridges over cuttings have been removed and the cutting filled in to give a level road approach to another road.

The fact that it looks like the bridge parapet is stonework and the stonework retaining wall beyond the bridge to the rights doesn't seem to fit in with the Sussex area, all the bridges I've found have brick parapets and retaining walls are in brick - building stone not available locally but excellent clay for making bricks locally to the railway works.  However most river/canal bridges were in stone!

Good thought Rhododendron, that might explain the 'importance' of the bridge photo.