Author Topic: George Fordyce Born abt. 1887  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Fordyce Born abt. 1887
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 February 18 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Press the little green note icon under my avatar and you should be able to send me a PM.

The records that I found were from SP but the standard Reg Office ones. I wonder it Margaret was another name (?her saint's name )

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 February 18 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Gadget I would like to send a pm but as i am new at this I am not sure how to go about it
Go to any message from Gadget and click on the symbol like a sheet of paper under her name. Then type your message in the screen that will appear.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 February 18 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Forfarian. Alan followed instructions and has the certs  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, hadn't seen your reply when I typed mine.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone out there. I am back reviewing my Scottish side of my tree again & looking at George Fordyce again I was wondering if anyone knows of any children he had with Christina McNeil after their marriage in 1915. Also is there a way in which I can find any births for them in the Scottish records. I know this can be done with English records where you can enter the child's surname & mothers maiden name but I have not seen anything like this in Scotland.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 16:36 BST (UK) »
I have just noticed that on the Catholic register there is a daughter Mary Agnes born in 1917 in Buckie so could there be more ?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there are 4 people who died in Scotland between 1993 and 2014 who have the surname Fordyce and mothers ms M(a)cNeil including a Mary who could be Mary Agnes and 18 babies registered in Rathven including a Mary not all of these will be the children of your grandfather
One to take note of possibly an Alick Fordyce was registered right after Mary she is number 91 he is number 92 twins possibly  Alick died in 1922 age 4 in Rathven you will be able to download those births and his death unfortunately the rest are within the privacy time and can't be viewed online

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 18:32 BST (UK) »
Is there a way in which I can find any births for them in the Scottish records. I know this can be done with English records where you can enter the child's surname & mothers maiden name but I have not seen anything like this in Scotland.
You can do this in-house in a Scotland's People Centre for births from 1929 onwards. Unfortunately the indexes before then don't show the mother's maiden surname. They have started adding this information but it's progressing at the pace of an exhausted snail, and they have started in 1855 which is a bit unfortunate when the LDS have indexes from 1855 to 1874, and from 1875 to 1911 you can use the census to narrow down a search. 1911 to 1928 is the 'black hole' :(

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 18:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.
If Alick had been a twin of Mary Agnes then I would have thought he would have shown up on the Catholic register but alas no.
The 1911 census George was living at home with his father & he didn't marry  Christina until 1915.
As any children they had would have been step uncles/aunts I was only slightly curious to see if anyone had definite proof that I had unknown relatives around.
So thanks again.