Author Topic: SCOTT, Bothwell  (Read 811 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SCOTT, Bothwell
« on: Sunday 11 February 18 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

After a decade of searching, I finally figured out the parents of ancestor William SCOTT Jr, only to hit another brick wall...

Here's what the baptism of my ancestor says: "William lawful son of William SCOTT South Adderston and of his spouse Margaret KENT born 16th June 1827"

By 1829, Margaret Kent remarries to William Cullen, implying the untimely demise of William Scott Sr.

However, William Scott SR is NOWHERE to be found apart from this record! Cannot find his baptism. No death record. No marriage record (and the baptism says "lawful son" so I know he had to have been married).

I tried searching the 1841 census record in Bothwell for William SCOTT to see if his father is the census, assuming that William was his father's name based on typical Scottish naming patterns.

I did find a 65 yr old William SCOTT at Adderston, Bothwell, farmer, and his wife Janet, age 55, but living with the family is ANOTHER William SCOTT, age 20, who I presume is their son.

Any help is appreciated to try to sort out the parents of William Sr. Also, any idea why his marriage would not be recorded? Baptisms I have seen go missing, but never marriages!

EDIT: Also found 1802 will of Gavin Scott, farmer of Adderston, with his sons William and Thomas as executors

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTT, Bothwell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 18 18:50 GMT (UK) »
any idea why his marriage would not be recorded? Baptisms I have seen go missing, but never marriages!
Oh, they assuredly can go missing. I have dozens of couples in my tree whose marriage records I have never been able to find.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 18 19:51 GMT (UK) »
William Scott Jnr is living with mum Margaret Cullen and family in the 1841 census in Bothwell
Parish: Bothwell; ED: 6; Page: 4; Line: 810; Year: 1841
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 18 20:06 GMT (UK) »
William Scott Jnr is living with mum Margaret Cullen and family in the 1841 census in Bothwell
Parish: Bothwell; ED: 6; Page: 4; Line: 810; Year: 1841

Thank you, yes, I have seen this. I am wondering who the William age 20 in 1841 is living with William Scott and wife Janet at Adderston - if he is their son, that would rule out William Sr. as being their child.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »
If William Scott jnr was born in 1827 then there's no way William Scott snr could only be 20 in 1841, or have I got this all wrong, it is sunday and my head is battered from kids today lol.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I did find a 65 yr old William SCOTT at Adderston, Bothwell, farmer, and his wife Janet, age 55, but living with the family is ANOTHER William SCOTT, age 20, who I presume is their son.
He could be a grandson?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
How quickly do people remarry?  Been trying to narrow down William Scott Snr, if jnr was born 16 June 1827 and mum remarried 20 June 1829, does decency mean William Snr died 1827 early 1828 or is that wishful thinking as there are a few William Scott dying between 1827 and 1829.

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Monkey, what I have is this:

?? Possibly William I ?? m ??
William II d. about 1828 m. Margaret Kent
William III b. 1827 d. 1873 m. Fanny Embley

I was wondering if the William Scott in b 1775 in the census could be the father of William II who died in about 1828. But I noticed there was a William b. 1821 living with him, and was wondering if that was his son, which would mean William I b. 1775 could not be the father of William II d. 1828, because obviously he wouldn't have 2 sons named William.

I think I worded my original question very poorly!

However, I ruled out both the Williams in the census with this: https://books.google.com/books?id=2rEDAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA393&lpg=PA393&dq=george+scott+dryfield&source=bl&ots=r8b2HoHvGq&sig=NX39P7xGCIE_GDP6dZ8vIvdlvbU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje1vPr257ZAhURTt8KHYZKDPsQ6AEIOjAF#v=onepage&q=george%20scott%20dryfield&f=false.

Looks like the William b. 1821 was their son and died before 1847. :(

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 18 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hilarykellis it's me being thick through lack of sleep.  So William Scott and Fanny Embley married 1854 in Sheffield?  William Scott was buried August 19th 1873 in Rotherham.  Such a pity England doesn't have such a site as SP :(.  I'll keep looking for William snr.