Author Topic: Qualmann  (Read 4889 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Qualmann
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 April 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
I would like to say THANK YOU to Essie for her find she is fantastic speaking of fantastic to all are .As i am not good useing the computre. I realy appreciate all that you do and tell everyone .…

Posting on behalf of adelaide hills :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 April 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Essie, I am starting to put things together ,yes I know things need to be checked but I came across  Friedrich Ludwig  Qualmann and wife  Sophie  Mararetha Qualman  and girls  were naturalisted in New Zealand  on 1st January  1844  They . Arrived New Zealand  Sept  1844 but left for Hobart 22-11-1844  and arrived Adelaide  Jan 1844. Maybe they were on the 1st lot of arrivals in New Zealand.  Sorry to be a "problem child "  cheers 😀😀😀😀😀

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 April 18 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Adelaide Hills

I very much doubt the Naturalisation given date of 1st January 1844 since the ship SKIOLD only sailed from Hamburg 21st April 1844. The arrival date is correct - at Nelson on 1st September 1844.  Arrival in SA was January 1845.

I am sending you a copy of the passenger list from Hamburg to NZ.

Essie

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 April 18 03:19 BST (UK) »
Yep you are right Essie,    I am not  to sure where I got the date, could be Ancestry  but there seems to be quiet a few mistakes   there . Unless you see the original  document  numberscan be blurred.   I am so excited about our find .when they got to Adelaide  they  worked very hard .Thank You will continue this journey thanks to you help 😀😀😀

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 April 18 04:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Essie, You are wonderful  at what you do .Am off to work now .will ask about what they got up to in Adelaide. take care Gail :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 April 18 07:08 BST (UK) »
You have probably seen the mentions on TROVE for the Qualmann family.  This obit gives a lot of info about Sophie, who, apparently, did not use English even though she lived to be 99 years old.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/88421745

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 April 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi yes Judith,this  was one of the Articles  that made me to want to fine out were they came from Thank you cheers Gail😀😆😆

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 April 18 00:09 BST (UK) »
Morning , hope all is well with you , another  question ha ha  Emma  Matilde Clara is my  Grand Mother
One of the things was when she married  Phillip Gaghen she changed her name to Clara Emma COLMAN on her marriage  Certificate. Just thought just because she was young,pregnant  and married a man older that her that the family might have  disowned  her,   but  I am struggling  to find out about her father Johann Carl Heinrich  Qualmann  mother Sophia Maria nee Waldhauer. I think he died at Parkside .  In Adelaide along time  ago Parkside was a Mental  Institution.  Would this be on his death certificate and how long would he have been there ?  if so this could have been the reason she changed her name what are your thoughts  cheers Happy Hills 😆😆😆😆😆 

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 April 18 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Adelaide Hills,
I have S.A.Record Series 4 - Deaths in Public Institutions compiled by Jill Stratton.
Amongst the records is:-
"QUALMANN C.F.W. see Johann C.H.
QUALMANN Johann C.H. - death date 1st May, 1916 aged 69.  Admitted 1915, Widower.  Born in Sth Australia.  Other details:- Maitland - brother of Mr. C.F.W.Qualmann, Maitland.  Ref:120 Admission 111/15"
That is all that is on the register.

Admission to Parkside Hospital didn't always mean there was a serious mental health issue.  Patients who had an illness which needed long term treatment, those suffering dementia, epilepsy etc were often sent to Parkside.

In regards to your question of Clara's surname being COLMAN on her marriage.   I think Clara has just anglicised her name from QUALMANN to COLMAN.   Sounds the same but spelt quite differently.

Regards,
Sashar
Researching:
Ireland: Farrelly, Brady, Bourke/Burke & poss Smyth/Smith, Connor
Scotland: Paterson, MacGregor, Graham
Derbyshire:  Richardson, Bryer
Germany/Prussia:  Hein, Nuske, Milich, Baum
Australia: Farrelly, Paterson, Richardson, Hein, Milich, Smith/Smyth